WARNING / AWARENESS - Electronic Theft in Playa D'en Bossa from Locked Car!

GInIbiza

⚠️WARNING/ AWARENESS POST ⚠️

I wanted to spread as much awareness as possible, as sadly we had all our luggage stolen from our LOCKED hire car, parked outside the Hard Rock Hotel in Playa D'en Bossa yesterday!

At 16:00hrs we parked on the main road outside the Hard Rock Hotel (1 Ctra. de Platja d'en Bossa, Sant Josep de sa Talaia, Balearic Islands), on route to the airport to have late lunch before our flight back to the UK.

The car was locked securely, with no items on display in the vehicle, with all our luggage securely locked in the boot.

After completing lunch, we returned to the vehicle, we didn't notice anything untoward or suspicious. We proceeded on the short journey to Ibiza airport. Upon arrival at the GoldCar hire drop-off at Ibiza airport, we opened the locked boot of the car to find it had been emptied and all our luggage had been stolen.

There were no marks or scratches or signs of entry / damage on the car, indicating the thieves used an electronic device or bypass to enter vehicle!!

Thankfully, we were vigilant in taking our passports with us – however the thieves managed to steal all other personal belongings.

Realizing what had happened, and with only 2.5 hours until our flight departed, we got back in the car and returned to where it had been parked to look for evidence. After speaking with the security guard at the Hard Rock Hotel, he advised this was a common well-known scam in the area and that there were no CCTV cameras to provide evidence.

During the journey I called the Policia, first the local station number who did not speak English and advised that I call 112. Upon calling 112 I was informed that they were unable to take a statement over the telephone or online and that the only option would be to drive to Ibiza Town Police station and wait for a translator to make a written report. I explained to the telephone agent that our flight was due to depart in 2 hours and given the large financial loss incurred already, this would not be feasible. I asked if there was any other way to make a report, given the time sensitivity and was told to report to the police at the airport, as the only option.

We returned to Ibiza airport and immediately reported to the police office. Frustratingly both the Guardia Civil and Policia offices were closed. In panic we headed to the information desk, who advised us that they were likely out on patrol and not at the airport, and there was nothing that could be done to help us.
From there, I spoke with the airline desk to seek advice but was given the same message - that nothing could be done.

Incredibly upset and distressed, and unable to get any help we had no choice but to board our return flight to the UK. Now back in the UK, and after trying to seek further advice, I am attempting to file a Denuncia Police Report however am being advised this is not possible since I am no longer in Spain.

Sharing this post for awareness - please never leave any items in your car in Ibiza. We have since been informed this is a common scam & thieves are able to access securely locked cars, and specifically target tourist areas.

sorry to hear, but yeah, sadly no news there.

never leave ANY valuables in your car here.

@stivi Absolutely, and sadly a lesson learnt the very hard way!

Ibiza sadly presents these situations but spreading awareness to tourist friends to stay vigilant and never leave valuables in your car even if out of sight.

It seems the thieves have become more technically evolved with being able to enter the car bypassing its electric locking system.

Raising awareness is the best I can now do as some emotional compensation - we know this is standard story but raising awareness can prevent somebody else becoming a victim

🙏

Sorry for this awful experienc, i hope u didnt have much valuable stuff in your luggage a loss off 500-1000€ clothe?
i never had my car stolen along 19 trips, even left open sometimes (ibz too much parties side effect) and having all my stuff in the car (ibz the spartan way ibz 2016 2017)
it must be very stressful holiday ending, at least u could go home safe, going to police in ibz town is a nihtmare trust me , ive been there ibz 2001, a lost of time so if anything happen in the future, the last thing on earth , i'll do is to go to the police , they really don't care about tourists :rolleyes:
I heard a lot of robbery in playa dem bossa from french girls hanging on beach and distracted by a few seconds, letting id and banks card in a beach bag is really not smart, keep them separated at least if not having a save place to hide.....

Absolute waffle from you as always. You could say the exact same about tourists getting pickpocketed on the Parisian metro.

The issue isn't the nationality, it's how easy the crime is to commit against its relative value and the likelihood of the perps being caught. No matter where you are.

You might get a more empathetic ear if you happen to be a victim in your native land, but the outcome is still the same: the perps won't get caught and you won't get your stuff back

Last edited:

The issue isn't the nationality, it's how easy the crime is to commit against its relative value and the likelihood of the perps being caught. No matter where you are.

You might get a more empathetic ear if you happen to be a victim in your native land, but the outcome is still the same: the perps won't get caught and you won't get your stuff back
Exactly…advising people not to go to the police? WTF? In my 20 odd years in Ibiza I’ve had to use the police twice for various incidents and have always found them to be extremely helpful and understanding.

Exactly…advising people not to go to the police? WTF? In my 20 odd years in Ibiza I’ve had to use the police twice for various incidents and have always found them to be extremely helpful and understanding.

@freakstar My issue was being able to file the police report. I was told I was unable to do this verbally and would have to visit the Ibiza town police office, and wait for a translator since there was no physical 'sign of entry' on the car.

With 2 hours until my flight departure, and such a huge financial loss already - this wasn't an option for us. Trying to file the police report from the UK now seems impossible, as it won't be accepted without a physical signature.

I was directed here by resident friends on the island, to spread awareness and in the hope of any help or advice! Sadly insurance won't touch the claim without a reference!

Since posting getting an onslaught of messages of similar experiences, it seems thieves are technologically advanced enough to bypass electronic locks now - and sadly this is far from the first time, particularly in that area.

A lesson learnt the hard way, and a terrible end to a wonderful time spent on the island 😢
Hoping the awareness of this type of scam - even if it can help even one person.....

Absolute waffle from you as always. You could say the exact same about tourists getting pickpocketed on the Parisian metro.

its long story from 20 years ago about beeing scammed by people on the street selling tickets in ibz harbor (facing tango bar, story i ve already posted ) ...i wanted the police to go to that bar with me any day to face the tricker, but i lost 8hours that day holiday....at police station, with thing such come back to police because u cant be dress in short and tnak top to make a complaint, 9h00 am to 4pm lost and at the end nothing happend, so u want me to go to police station again if some worker trick me in ibz? 🙄=> case dismissed

i get my phone pickpocketed one time in paris (never thought it could happen but i was back from a party and in place i knew famous about pickpockets), i just forgot it, going to police? u think they gonna find it? 🤣 looks like some people living in living in dysney world? with all criminal arrested an released quickly..

sorry if i make jokes about ibz cops (whether spanigh french) but do you thing its normal when u get caught with drugs while driving u pay 500€ n u are free as a bird 😬 only in ibiza for sure 😆
some mate getting caught with lot of drugs (should be comfy to be a drug dealer in ibiza 🤔 ) at dc10 and a receiving a PV with description of all drugq taken , never get fine or sued....good for my friend but reminds me what was the purpose of the PV? 🤣

To be back to the post, touristic places attract lot of bad people...so pickpocketing and robberies is part of it, so be very alert.

Last edited:
Okay...

That is tragic...

I booked a trip to a different destination just within the last week and the first thing... - travel insurance. It's $40.

i was just pointing the fact if he (or anyone else) had 10 hours b4 his flight when noticing his luggages were stolen, going to police station wont solve anything (ask ur resident friend to have a visit to san jordi market? if still in hope to find ur personnal stuff) and better for him to "enjoy" last hours as i found very stressful to go to police and wait for hours.
lost of time (unless looking for a police report for refunding process with insurance, i really don't care as long its not 3-5k loss ,svalue i never had i n a car) and case dismissed, they may know this parking place is famous about robbery and good for u if they were helpful to you.

Last edited:
@freakstar My issue was being able to file the police report. I was told I was unable to do this verbally and would have to visit the Ibiza town police office, and wait for a translator since there was no physical 'sign of entry' on the car.

With 2 hours until my flight departure, and such a huge financial loss already - this wasn't an option for us. Trying to file the police report from the UK now seems impossible, as it won't be accepted without a physical signature.

I was directed here by resident friends on the island, to spread awareness and in the hope of any help or advice! Sadly insurance won't touch the claim without a reference!

Since posting getting an onslaught of messages of similar experiences, it seems thieves are technologically advanced enough to bypass electronic locks now - and sadly this is far from the first time, particularly in that area.

A lesson learnt the hard way, and a terrible end to a wonderful time spent on the island 😢
Hoping the awareness of this type of scam - even if it can help even one person.....
Yes, totally understand! I hasn’t having a go with you! Sometimes things are slow in Ibiza, and I guess it’s been the weekend so even worse for you. Sorry about your issue, hopefully you can sort it

What should the police do ? If you need a report for your asecurance , its ok. They can not help you.

The advice promoted by swiss police after many thefts by jammers: Hear the locks.
The main defence against this method of attack is to make sure your car has locked properly. Wait for the flashing lights or tell-tale beep and if you are close enough, you can hear the locks clunking down.

Hear the locks.
.....there are devices that allow thieves to intercept the signal the moment you lock the car.

We usually even leave the empty glove compartment open, so that the guys can see there is nothing to get.

depending on where I park my car (because there are a few spots where the thiefs are basically just waiting around the corner or behind the bushes), I will leave my car unlocked and have a paper inside below the windshield which says 'car is open, nothing inside guys'

.....there are devices that allow thieves to intercept the signal the moment you lock the car.

We usually even leave the empty glove compartment open, so that the guys can see there is nothing to get.
I think they read the signal. Not sure if a locked car is enough.

Most hotels have a luggage room for checked out customers. If this is possible , use this and go back to the hotel if possible.
Otherwise I left my car open , as stivi said. Never had any problems.

Is there a luggage store company anywhere in IBZ ?

I think they read the signal. Not sure if a locked car is enough.

Most hotels have a luggage room for checked out customers. If this is possible , use this and go back to the hotel if possible.
Otherwise I left my car open , as stivi said. Never had any problems.

Is there a luggage store company anywhere in IBZ ?
There’s a couple in PDB in normal times. The one I used a couple of years back was called Drop & Enjoy

Those saying don’t go to police or whatever are forgetting to claim off your insurance you’d need a police report number.

Whether that’s your phone or all your luggage, same thing required.

Sorry to hear that from OP. Sadly as cars become more ‘clever’ they also become easier to exploit / break into. Also possible they had a signal repeater nearby, picks up the key tag signal and saves it, you can then open it remotely from the saved signal

Terrible end to a holiday - hope there wasn't anything that you could not replace.

Seems to be a common problem with Ford cars in the UK. That may be because they are one of the most popular cars, so makes sense to create the device to open them.

I had a customer who's car was stolen outside their house, driven and left a mile from home waiting to see if it had attacker. The owner found and returned to Ford, who changed the code/key... was stolen again a few days later.

Back