True Blue Experiences - Freediving in Ibiza (Review)

kimajy

Finally got it together to dive with Thimotheus right at the very end of my last trip. Can honestly say it was one of the best times I've ever had in Ibiza and took me somewhere amazing I'd never seen before. Freediving is one of the most incredible experiences taking our mammalian bodies into territory we are far more adapted to than most people realize.

It's something which I really hope to do more of in the future. Been wanting help to take this forward for a long time now. As I don't have friends into it and am always so pressed for time, finding someone to take the first 'next steps' with in a place I feel happy and relaxed has been an absolute godsend. The fact you can fly safely straight afterwards is also a massive bonus.

I posted this little review on his fb website when I got home but I'm going to put it up here as a proper review too as I can't recommend this guy enough. Even if you've only dabbled in a bit of diving about around a boat or off the beach, the right instruction and equipment can help you enjoy so much more far quicker than you'd ever imagine.

True Blue Experiences - Review

Quite simply the most rewarding time I have had in years.

I'd never had any freediving instruction before and had only ever dived on an ad-hoc / casual basis so naturally had lots of questions and concerns. My trip was squeezed in to the end of a 2-day 1-night stay on the island and I was set to fly home right after our dive.

Met up with Tim in Sant Joan de Labritja and he drove us on to a secret little beach near ses Caletes. He's one of the most calming and reassuing people I have ever met and on the way we worked through all my worries, questions, hopes and goals whilst I got my first freediving theory lesson on a beautiful rock near the shore amidst the chirruping of Cicadas in the late afternoon sunshine.

We kitted up on the nearby beach for a +/- 1.5km swim to our dive site at the 3 tunnels and headed out along the coast. Tim lent me all the gear I needed.

As light was already fading we decided to 'take the plunge' for the tunnel dives very soon after arriving at the site. They were longer than I would ever have considered attempting before. Tim had done so much already before we got there I was calm, reassured and mentally 'ready' with no remaining anxiety, which by now had been turned into positive expectation.

You can check out Luca's amazing video of the dive site (Freedive localion #13) on the website http://www.trueblueexperiences.com/13-ibiza-freedive-locations

We dived two of the tunnels, the third being one I would consider only once my skills were comfortably 'up to it'. We also spent some time line diving further offshore where it is around 15m maximum depth to the sea bed and I could immediately see how this is a great way of building skills and experience, and working through limits

With a long trip home for me looming closer, we swam back as the sun set over the cliffs and the sky took on a magical pink glow. The beach was empty when we returned and the privileged tranquility and beauty of the place was quite arresting.

I felt as if my life had turned a new corner, and I was leaving with new skills, awareness, knowledge and confidence which had been imparted and acquired in the most natural and effortless way.

Ibiza and the people here like Tim are truly special and if you ever get the chance to spend time with True Blue you will experience something which many never have the privilege to be a part of. It's no "holiday excursion" it's a life-enriching experience which you will treasure for the rest of your days.

Can't wait to dive with Tim again !

Wow this looks amazing, the video is brilliant. It's not something I'd look to do he day after going out but definitely something to do on first day of a trip for me. Think I'd need to work on my swimming/fitness though

Without a boat to jump off you swim out in wetsuit with weights on, but with full long fins which makes it a bit easier, but yeah that particular trip was still quite demanding, especially if there's wind or current as we had on the way back. Caught myself longing for a boat a couple of times on the return :oops: but mainly as I was absolutely knackered from lack of sleep on the trip. You just have to man up and do it :lol:. There are other trips with far less swimming though which are accessed nearer the shore.

In truth I'd been out getting bladdered the night before in the West End 'till 4am with Dan Gruner and my heart was still racing 10 to the dozen when I first met up with Tim off far too many red bulls :mad:. The absolute worst thing for diving because you need to be relaxed with a low heart rate when you dive. Thing is though when your face goes in the water your heart rate slows in response - so after such a long swim I was actually functioning pretty normally again and everything corrected itself. :).

In truth I'd been out getting bladdered the night before in the West End 'till 4am with Dan Gruner

Oh, blame me! :D Was a great night though! :p

In truth I would have loved to have gone diving with you, but went rapidly downhill afterwards and couldn't do much for the rest of the week... :cry:

Flying back out for 5 days tomorrow to make up for the last trip. Hopefully it'll be a great time :)

Dan

Oh, blame me! :D Was a great night though! :p

It certainly was - great fun :lol:.

In truth I would have loved to have gone diving with you, but went rapidly downhill afterwards and couldn't do much for the rest of the week... :cry:

I blame it entirely on that dodgy subway carry-out you noshed into o_O :eek: ... that was dicing with destruction right there :twisted:

Flying back out for 5 days tomorrow to make up for the last trip. Hopefully it'll be a great time :)

Waiting for your review :cool:

What is it with peope eating Subway in ibiza.. probably the worst crap you can eat.. anywhere..

Another AMAZING video just been shared by someone else of three separate trips they did with Tim in August. This one includes some tunnels at Murada but also from 4m40 onwards ...

Hike to ses Balandres, swim over to Margalides and diving there & diving at Es Vedra by boat.

I want to go back & do more RIGHT NOW :D ... click to watch on Vimeo.

swim over to Margalides
48382657_10217718062693878_7930753246316986368_n.jpg

48426614_10217718062173865_3886134676263272448_n.jpg

Back