timewarped - TW 2011 review

stivi

For the second consecutive year I travelled to Mannheim on the first weekend of April. My first Timewarp last year was absolutely amazing and so I decided to give it another go this time around. Saturday was a really busy day for me, I was on a job until 4pm and only took the train to Germany at 7pm. On the train I teamed up with two friends of mine and the journey to Mannheim was a perfect opportunity to relax for a while. We arrived at Mannheim some time past 10pm and walked over to our hotel, which was located just 5 min. walking distance from the train station - very convenient! We checked in, left our bags and left the hotel again soon after. Took a cab and finally arrived at TW at around midnight. There were big queues, but everyone got in quickly.

We first headed to floor two, where Dubfire just had begun his set. The sound was hist trademark "dry" tech sound. People loved it and we had a warm up boogie. Soon we changed over to room 3, where Ricardo villalobos was playing. Now I'm normally not the biggest fan of his, but he played a very decent set. Really groovy (including "good life") and not the weird sh*t he often plays when he plays early in the morning...thumbs up for Ricardo!
Then we ventured off to floor 4, which is not the nicest (it's a tent), but seth troxler did an amazing job. His set was really funky in a motherfunkin' good way and people went bonkers. His set was really one of the highlights of timewarp 2011 for us. We stayed in the same floor for another while when magda came on and she didn't disappoint neither.

But then we went back to room three and enjoyed luciano and carl craig who played b2b from 3 till 7. Now I know that lately Lucien Nicolet got a lot of bad feedback on here and I simply want to say that some of the comments in THAT thread are beyond ridiculous, nuff said. All of our group heavily enjoyed their set and actually everyone on that floor did. It made me grin when towards the end of their set they played a housey version of black's wonderful life - big smile and reminder of cocoon closing 2009, when this (the original) was the very last track on the terrace.

In the morning we got a bit of nick curly (on floor 4 again) and then some of marco carola and loco dice (floor 3). I enjoyed all of this and I especially enjoyed meeting so many people again. TW is always full of Ibiza faces and so it was a big reunion of people from all over Europe. I guess knowing many friends would come was one of the main reasons to do timewarp again (apart of the fact it's more than 12 hours of quality music). The only thing I personally didn't like that much was when we went into floor 2 for Richie hawtin's set (he was playing from 8am till 2pm). We got there a bit before noon and floor two is massive. It's a really big hall and it was still very busy (but in a comfy way). But it was SO dark in there and together with his music it all felt so industrial, anonymous...i don't know. Maybe it was just my state of mind but I couldn't stand it for more than half an hour (that said, richie's set was OK, it was more the feel of the room that I didn't like at that time of day). So I went back to floor 3 where josh wink was playing the closing set. Much better - and I loved it when he played his own classic don't laugh towards the end of his set.

So after dancing for more than 12 hours timewarp ended at 2pm. We were lucky and got a cab straight away. We got back to our hotel, had a shower and slept for about one and a half hours, before we got up again and, with new clothes, made our way to the afterhour, which was held at a small and intimate club in Mannheim (again just 10mins. Walking distance from our hotel - great!). we got in fine thanks to the wristbands we had and after some jagermeister shots we continued partying and dancing until 9pm. The after hour was really nice, again with some familiar faces and good music (I'm not too sure, but I think seth troxler was playing again at some point), a few of the dj's partying along (carola, dice, kruse) and a really cool vibe in the whole club. Definitely an afterparty worth going!

Then we went back to the hotel (forced us to eat something on the way back), fell into our beds and slept for 12hrs straight. On Monday, we got up, checked out at 12noon exactly and dragged our bodies back onto the train to Switzerland...

Looking back it was another great timewarp with a lot of fun overall! Due to the fact seth troxler and luciano & carl craig played so well I unfortunately completely missed sven väth (who apparently really played well!) as well as henrik Schwarz and Laurent garnier...but else - no regrets! It was also nice that the weather was all sunny and warm on the Sunday. Like this you could go out every now and then and get some fresh air (last year it was really cold still). Bring on the summer season now!

Last edited by a moderator:
nice review as always 8) next years i'Ll be there toooooo

where did the afterhour take place? at "das zimmer" ???

where Ricardo villalobos was playing. Now I'm normally not the biggest fan of his, but he played a very decent set. Really groovy (including "good life") and not the weird sh*t he often plays when he plays early in the morning...thumbs up for Ricardo!
Then we ventured off to floor 4, which is not the nicest (it's a tent), but seth troxler did an amazing job. His set was really funky in a motherfunkin' good way and people went bonkers. His set was really one of the highlights of timewarp 2011 for us. We stayed in the same floor for another while when magda came on and she didn't disappoint neither.

But then we went back to room three and enjoyed luciano and carl craig who played b2b from 3 till 7. Now I know that lately Lucien Nicolet got a lot of bad feedback on here and I simply want to say that some of the comments in THAT thread are beyond ridiculous, nuff said. All of our group heavily enjoyed their set and actually everyone on that floor did. It made me grin when towards the end of their set they played a housey version of black's wonderful life - big smile and reminder of cocoon closing 2009, when this (the original) was the very last track on the terrace.

great review.

Pleased to hear that about Villalobos, every time I see him he seems to play that weird sh*t that goes nowhere for what seems like ever.

Looks like Luciano was as good as when I last saw him too.

thanks for this review, have read it a few times8)...cant wait til i go this year to timewarp:)

nostrum, was it easy to find out about the afterparty you went too? were there other after partys going on in mannheim?

i see timewarp is due to finish at midday this year, will this have much effect on the after partys?

haven't checked the tw page yet, but normally timewarp only finishes at about 2 or 3pm.
there are always rumours going round about the afterparties. last years was at zimmer, a really small club right in the centre of mannheim. i'd concentrate energies on the main event though!

haven't checked the tw page yet, but normally timewarp only finishes at about 2 or 3pm.
there are always rumours going round about the afterparties. last years was at zimmer, a really small club right in the centre of mannheim. i'd concentrate energies on the main event though!
ok8) couple of my friends were there last year, they didnt hear of anything after it finished, just went back to hotel...

good clip of them dancing about to seth troxler on dancetripping:lol:

i will probably be up for partying on once timewrp finishes though:)

just noticed timewarp has posted the clip onf acebook...always worth a watch of this again:

http://www.dancetrippin.tv/video/seth-troxler-time-warp-mannheim-tech-house-house

Last edited by a moderator:
Even bigger Line-up this year...all of the usual timewarp-suspects + John Digweed, Steve Lawler, Jamie Jones, Visionquest...etc., just WOW :spank:

Hi

I'm hitting Time Warp again this year for the 5th year in a row!! :)

One thing we haven't been able to work out, how do you get in to the after hours at Das Zimmer?? We tried last year but we needed wrist bands! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Or has any body been before using the VIP tickets? If so apart from what the website says what extra's do you get?

Back