The return of Spotlight 'Holiday Book Club'

I'm currently reading The Last Days of the Spanish Republic by Paul Preston. It's about how the endgame of the Civil War played out and how the Republic was beset with betrayal from within and from the outside, the ambivalence of the British Government, numerous betrayals by France and even Russia playing a part in the doom of the Republic. It would be a classic comedy of errors if the results weren't so horrifying and tragic.

On a side note, during my visit to Ibiza in September I found out that Formentera was used as a prisoner of war camp at the end of the war but there aren't any records of who was held there or what happened to them (which doesn't bode well), and there were at least two massacres on the island by Franco's troops. There was one where over 100 men and boys were lined up and machine-gunned in cold blood and the religious people in the citadel at the top of D'alt Villa were also murdered.

I'm currently reading The Last Days of the Spanish Republic by Paul Preston. It's about how the endgame of the Civil War played out and how the Republic was beset with betrayal from within and from the outside, the ambivalence of the British Government, numerous betrayals by France and even Russia playing a part in the doom of the Republic. It would be a classic comedy of errors if the results weren't so horrifying and tragic.

On a side note, during my visit to Ibiza in September I found out that Formentera was used as a prisoner of war camp at the end of the war but there aren't any records of who was held there or what happened to them (which doesn't bode well), and there were at least two massacres on the island by Franco's troops. There was one where over 100 men and boys were lined up and machine-gunned in cold blood and the religious people in the citadel at the top of D'alt Villa were also murdered.

good call Padster - I've read other stuff by Preston. Knows his stuff. My Spanish grandparents told me a few stories about the civil war. pretty horrific stuff (especially for those on the losing side..)

Back