The return of Spotlight 'Holiday Book Club'

hounddj

All righty then - I enjoy reading. I think it's sad that this seems to be something that the youth of today dislike and that our childrens, children may only be able to communicate via the art of expressive dance (a la glee) or by stabbing each other.

In between getting engrossed in overly thumbed copies of Razzle, Asian Babes and Fiesta magazine and (obviously) perusing Spotlight on the interweb, I do enjoy a good novel / biography / auto-biography.

What would my fellow Spotlighters recommend for my holiday (or indeed, after my holiday) this year?

I have enjoyed the following in the last month and make no apology that some or all of these books are old and/or could be considered trash:

Dan Simmons : Summer of Endless Night

Val McDermind : Killing in the Shadows

Stephen King : IT (again)

Stefan Block : The Storm at the Door

Mark Hix : Seasonal British Food

Last edited by a moderator:
I also enjoy reading - still like reading books too compared to the amount of Kindles I see on the train...........

I havent read any for a while which I need to get back into (really makes the commute into London go quicker) but the last books I read that I really enjoyed were the Stiegsson trilogy & also Water for Elephants

Had a book thread not long ago. ;)

Best one I've read recently is 'Never Let Me Go'.

Currently reading Ian McEwan's 'Solar', which is okay, but not enjoying it as much as other stuff I've read by him. Got Cormac McCarthy's 'Blood Meridian' lined up next and will also be devoting time to reading about Buddhism.

I read this about 4 times in my teens/early twenties. I LOVED IT 8)

The film however was PANTS and didn't do it justice at all

It's my favourite book ever and helped get me through a rather difficult time when I was quite young.

A lovely story about childhood, growing up and the power of friendship. (the fact that it's got all manner of grue in it as well just adds to the fun)

I love Stephen King and think, as time passes, he will be remembered more and more as one of the best American authors (a la Twain and Steinbeck) rather than a producer of pulp 'easy reading'.

If you enjoyed it, the give 'Summer of Endless Night' a go. Similar themes.

(and yes, the film / mini-series was a bit pooh but tbf, the film version of books are often a vast disappointment)

I like Peter James 'Roy Grace' series- his latest book is Dead Man's Grip.

Michael Mcintyre's autobiography is also quite good, especially if you are a fan of his comedy.

Easy read:

Ibiza Rocked - Stu Griffiths

Good true story and enjoyable if you have ever done Thailand:

The Backpacker - John Harris

By the look on that guy's face it's feasible ... either that or he's working at transcending into an animated emoticon !

is it bad i have never read a full book on my own in my life that i can remember. dont even think i did in school. it bores me.

I like Peter James 'Roy Grace' series- his latest book is Dead Man's Grip.

Michael Mcintyre's autobiography is also quite good, especially if you are a fan of his comedy.

Cheers!

Think I've read some Peter James books before (he's a crime / occaisional producer of supernatural stuff isn't he?) and enjoyed them - I might try and find that one.

Mcintyre - probably not.

is it bad i have never read a full book on my own in my life that i can remember. dont even think i did in school. it bores me.

No mate - I never read fiction (except at times on the occasional internet forum where what's written is based on a melting-pot of perceptions of reality !!). Probably about 3 novels in my life. Non-fiction is another matter entirely - National Geographic is a post-3 day mash-up lifesaver if I can't get to the sea for a swim !

Back