THE KOOKS + TELEMAN | IBIZA ROCKS | 10/09/14

McRackin

Super Moderator
Buffetlibre is a production and dj duo from Barcelona with an album in the market (Songs For Elaine - 2013) and residents at the club Razzmatazz. Only one of them (Miguel) came to warm up before the first band but his selection of Indie hits was ideal to start the evening.

013+-+copia.JPG

The band Pete & The Pirates dissolved a couple years ago with three of the members regrouping as Teleman. Only announced two weeks ago, the London band flew to Ibiza to present their recently released debut album Breakfast (produced by the ex-Suede Bernard Butler). In Mallorca the support slot was filled by local band L.A.

Their characteristic lo-fi/minimalist approach on songs like "Cristina", "Steam Train Girl" or the closer "Not In Control" sounded more in-your-face and rawer than the studio versions, which was great.

Teleman has been a very nice discovery!

186+-+copia.JPG

People were queuing outside the hotel before the doors opened at 7.30pm so it was easy to predict it would be one of the busiest wednesdays of the season. Like last week's stars Kaiser Chiefs, The Kooks played for Ibiza Rocks in its first season in 2005 (back then still unsigned and unknown). They returned in 2009 and in 2010, giving fantastic concerts in support of the brilliant Inside In/Inside Out (2006) and Konk (2008). Since then they released the albums Junk Of The Heart (2011) and the brand new Listen, which came out this week and is the first one to feature the drumming talents of Alexis Nunez (who already played at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel in 2009 with his previous band Golden Silvers).

They reinvented themselves with their latest release and I was curious to hear live its songs as I'm still trying to digest their new sound. In general, the new stuff they played matched well with their back catalogue. "Down", "It Was London", "Bad Habit" (where the guitarist Hugh Harris and the bassist Peter Denton exchanged their instruments), "Around Town" or "Westside" were great but it was obvious we also wanted to hear their classics. "Eddie's Gun", "Naïve", Luke Pritchard's solo acoustic version of "Seaside", "Do You Wanna" and "Ooh La" were some of my favourite moments of their 18-song setlist. The quartet was accompanied by an extra member (second guitar, tambourine and backing vocals). And what to say about Luke? He continues having an excellent stage presence and being the center of attention... what a great frontman!

The Brighton boys' fourth gig on the island rocked and put to rest all the prejudices I had about their last album.

713+-+copia.JPG

On a curious note, some members of the Games Of Thrones cast were in the VIP... as you might remember, another two were spotted at Ibiza Rocks House at Pikes earlier in the season!

Tickets for Ibiza Rocks' closing party with Bombay Bicycle Club and Dan Croll here:
:arrow: http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/promoters/ibiza_rocks_i.htm

Back