Balearic, Chill Out & Sunset Music

the balearic revival is probably clearer. also the thread should actually be in the music forum if you ask me, rather than ibiza parties and clubs?

the balearic revival is probably clearer. also the thread should actually be in the music forum if you ask me, rather than ibiza parties and clubs?

Maybe. But I hoped this could be everything to do with the scene? But I suppose 90% of it is the music..:)

it's a real shame the DJ History site got taken down because there was a wealth of stuff on there about how this scene all came about. But there are still a few facebook groups dedicated to the cause, where people mostly advertise their nights or list ancient records all day.

the term 'revival' is maybe a bit misleading insofar as people like Padilla have been around for over 30 years and the love has always been there, but it is accurate in so far as people more recently wanted to revive the original spirit of CDM in other settings, something that had maybe got lost as the money moved in.

the other key distinction to make is between "chillout" and balearic".

For me, 'chillout' is just horizontal music, often beatless, background soundtracks. At its best, it captures the sunset experience. At its worst, it's advert fodder for the latest Ford Focus. Approach with caution.

'balearic' on the other hand, can be anything from a singular drum to reggae to gay europop right through to smacked out house. it just has to fit the mood of the party. it's a feeling not a genre. does it sound like it would enhance the vibe if you were dancing on some beach? that for me is the litmus test.

Back