The Balearic Revival (CDM Refugees)

Discussion in 'Music' started by balearic joe, Aug 22, 2017.

1. diver

diver Well-Known Member

Like the sound of that, the other didn’t tickle my fancy.

2. diver

diver Well-Known Member

After The Tweenies?

elmooreo likes this.
  3. craig72

craig72 Well-Known Member

Good stuff.. really enjoying part 1

4. Kim Wrong Un

Kim Wrong Un Active Member

Mylo. good question. Dunno. Dining out off those gloria estefan royalties probably. I wonder if he looks at Calvin Harris with some envy. He turned down the chance to sign him!

5. craig72

6. craig72

7. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka Well-Known Member

It sounds like a playlist made by my dad, but I will probably give it a listen anyhow! The strange thing about music is it's potential for re-evaluation, and how a song you may have dismissed previously can work in a new context, either in a new physical space or between certain songs. Or you just get older and aren't so concerned with just liking what's "cool". :lol:

8. Johnny Vodka

Anyway, I just thought of this classic.

9. Kim Wrong Un

:lol:

your Dad’s way cooler than mine. i was forcefed classical on R3 growing up...

basically, i’ve been clearing out thousands of files clogging up my laptop and had fun recording all these. not too many more to go.

sounds cliched but all that 70s/AOR stuff actually does sound pretty cool on remote American roads and there is a lot of overlap with the whole balearic thing because the music is dark/folky, evokes nature/landscapes and blends in well with slower electronic stuff.

*shout to AOR Disco, Steve Lee, DJ History, Michael Cook, Richard Norris, Lovefingers, Balearic Assassins of Love and everyone else who has championed this music for years

fatphilb, craig72 and Johnny Vodka like this.
  10. Kim Wrong Un

1BTN have got Rampling in for a 3 hr special next week - might be decent if he digs deep in the crates

Attached Files:

• DR.jpg
      DR.jpg
      File size:
      98.2 KB
      Views:
  11. craig72

*Live*

12. Johnny Vodka

THis is probably a bad admission, but I'm listening to Smokers Delight for the first time ever. :eek: :spank: And, yes, I have heard of NOW before and been exposed to them in bits 'n' bobs.

(I'm assuming this album is Balearic.)

fatphilb likes this.
  13. Kim Wrong Un

Yeah, kind of. For me depends on the track really.

George obv is part of the ibz family now and gets the spirit, but i think his music is more for afternoon idling at the chiringuito than the sunset, if that makes sense?!

Johnny Vodka likes this.
  14. Johnny Vodka

The opening track was on an old Jose Padilla mix 6 Music were playing. Hence why i was inspired.. Only listened to about half the album last night, but definitely seems like 'one i missed'.

15. Kim Wrong Un

ooooh, Ashley Beedle's latest is well worth a go today

http://www.beatsinspace.net/playlists/948

that growling Gil Scott Heron bassline sounds pretty spinetingling on the right system - heard him drop it years back at plastic people and was totally floored

craig72 and diver like this.
  16. Kim Wrong Un

'Mission Venice' is the standout on there. killer tune.

17. Kim Wrong Un

Feelgood vibes

craig72 likes this.
  18. Kim Wrong Un

Always a chuckle to these

craig72 likes this.
  19. craig72

20. Kim Wrong Un

Cesar de melero played these here last night, high on Montjuic overlooking the ciy and the port. Pretty special.

100% balearic

jimmiz likes this.