Balearic, Chill Out & Sunset Music

Very Miles' Sketches of Spain....except the clattery percussion.
I'll admit to taking the SoS cd to Ibiza

, playing it in company, went down well

I'd never heard of Jon Hassell, but turns out he's been around a while and has a good rep. I'm at that age where I have the desire to get into more jazz, and I don't mean just jazz influenced electronica (though there's nowt wrong with that either).

I'd never heard of Jon Hassell, but turns out he's been around a while and has a good rep. I'm at that age where I have the desire to get into more jazz, and I don't mean just jazz influenced electronica (though there's nowt wrong with that either).

I tend to swerve 'trad' jazz. I never got it. I'd say 'lounge'/filmscores are probably as close as I get esp the 60s/70s greats eg Deodato, Lalo Schifrin, John Barry all those guys. I used to go on the Gilles Peterson forum quite a lot. Much of it went over my head but one of them used to put on film-themed nights at his pub gig. Fantastic stuff.

I tend to swerve 'trad' jazz. I never got it. I'd say 'lounge'/filmscores are probably as close as I get esp the 60s/70s greats eg Deodato, Lalo Schifrin, John Barry all those guys. I used to go on the Gilles Peterson forum quite a lot. Much of it went over my head but one of them used to put on film-themed nights at his pub gig. Fantastic stuff.

It's a big area to explore and has obviously been influential on so many other forms of music. 6 Music do push it a bit and my dad is a big jazz fan, not that I ever wanted to listen to the stuff that my dad listens to, but sometimes it just sort of happens... I wouldn't say I like it all, but occasionally something hits me (have you heard any of Robert Glasper's Radiohead covers?); I think you really need to follow the flow of it rather than just listen passively, as you can with a lot of music.

I've got a massive thing for the 70's jazz/blues/soul stuff...George Benson, Donald Byrd, Roy Ayers, Marvin Gaye. I'm collecting LP's. This is one of my favourite pieces of music ever...

^ donald byrd 'love has come around' used to be a bit of an anthem at the horse & groom in shoreditch. I think someone must have put an edit out because I remember quite a few people playing that around the same time. shoreditch is all a blur now though

I like loads of terry callier and gil scott heron too, gutted i never got to see him live.

I need to listen to some of these suggestions over the weekend.

Have we had any Quiet Village yet?

That whole Silent Movie album is a corker and one that tends to get stuck on at the first twinge of summer every year. I think @Kim Wrong Un is a fan also. I would never have heard of it if I hadn't done a bit of music reviewing back in the day!

Sure I posted this already but worthy of the repost.. modern day balearia
and when the sun is gone down..:)

I need to listen to some of these suggestions over the weekend.

Have we had any Quiet Village yet?

That whole Silent Movie album is a corker and one that tends to get stuck on at the first twinge of summer every year. I think @Kim Wrong Un is a fan also. I would never have heard of it if I hadn't done a bit of music reviewing back in the day!

yes killer album. Actually makes me a bit homesick. Big Chill memories, banjaxed in the grass, watching the lanterns go up at dusk

They were a bit cheeky with some of the samples but i love the cinematic soundscapes. I also like matt’s other stuff with radioslave although that’s a lot more banging.

Quite a few people have been putting out slower, trippy stuff - etienne jaumet, mushrooms project, woolfy, cos/mes, rodion, massimiliano pagliara, project club - you should check them all out. That’s where i’m mostly at these days.

yes killer album. Actually makes me a bit homesick. Big Chill memories, banjaxed in the grass, watching the lanterns go up at dusk

They were a bit cheeky with some of the samples but i love the cinematic soundscapes. I also like matt’s other stuff with radioslave although that’s a lot more banging.

Quite a few people have been putting out slower, trippy stuff - etienne jaumet, mushrooms project, woolfy, cos/mes, rodion, massimiliano pagliara, project club - you should check them all out. That’s where i’m mostly at these days.

Yeah, I like Radioslave very much too. Love his remix of Kate Bush's King of the Mountain, probably my fave use of KB in dance music. I will need to check out those other artists.

nice one Diver, thanks for listening

I’ve been pretty prolific over couple of weeks since finishing the book. My missus is away in LA and i’ve had time to kill. Gonna load the campervan with so much music when i join her as FM radio there is so bad

nice one Diver, thanks for listening

I’ve been pretty prolific over couple of weeks since finishing the book. My missus is away in LA and i’ve had time to kill. Gonna load the campervan with so much music when i join her as FM radio there is so bad
The El Carnen is another fave.
Can’t begin to tell you how much my music preference has changed over the past 6 months or so.

Back