Balearic, Chill Out & Sunset Music

timmy thomas is a TUNE - and uber-balearic IMHO

obv the definition of balearic is worthy of a forum in itself. DJH obsessed over this for over 10 years.

you can argue it was only records played by Alfredo at Amnesia OR you can argue it is anything that sounds good on a beach OR you can argue it is camp italo OR pop music that sounds good on E OR f*** it you can even make the case for Cliff Richard or Kiss or Pavarotti. Basically it is whatever you want to make it. the only thing that everyone agrees on is that 1. it has to feel right and 2. it is not a genre and 3. that it almost exclusively appeals to a small band of 40-50 something blokes.

I always associate Drive with an extremely distressing clip shown on Live Aid of babies starving and screaming... (It was the soundtrack.) I remember my dad recording Live Aid performances and me not actually being able to watch that bit again. :eek:

Does jazz have a place in this?

I think it can....all this thread really does is showcase music that we feel the rest of us would enjoy. Ideally said music will have a balearic flavour, but I wouldn't worry too much before posting. If it is something really awful that nobody appreciates you'll soon find out!

I think it can....all this thread really does is showcase music that we feel the rest of us would enjoy. Ideally said music will have a balearic flavour, but I wouldn't worry too much before posting. If it is something really awful that nobody appreciates you'll soon find out!

Ha! Well, I heard the new Kamasi Washington track on the wireless this morning. Has a sort of tropical/latin beat but is most definitely a jazz epic that shoots off in different directions. That's what got me thinking...

some electronic jazz is amazing. I used to cane st germain, detroit experiment, jazztronik and loungey stuff like big muff, ilya, gotan project, the herbaliser, koop, 4 Hero, max sedgley, karminsky experience etc

personally though I associate it all more with driving around London at night than hanging out at the beach

some electronic jazz is amazing. I used to cane st germain, detroit experiment, jazztronik and loungey stuff like big muff, ilya, gotan project, the herbaliser, koop, 4 Hero, max sedgley, karminsky experience etc

personally though I associate it all more with driving around London at night than hanging out at the beach
Trust you to reel off a list:lol:

Ah, the old edit your post trick that makes it look like I’m taking the thread off track.

incorrect. i was responding to my own previous post which I then tried to delete because I thought it was really boring but the site is always really slow for me when i'm logged in so I have no idea what actually displays half the time.

Back