That there magic number I need to live here

Happy Accident

Hello there,

I'm pretty certain that all of this will be down in the thread somewhere, but I'm not sure if I have a slightly unique case, so your advice would be appreciated.

I currently work as a freelance writer, writing articles for UK based companies. I became self employed Spring 2010 and immediately took off to America, without consulting an accountant before I did so. How ever, I've been saving 25% of my savings to put towards tax, I'm a good girl, of course...

And then, last week, my dad told me some very good news. I didn't have the foggiest clue about the 89 day rule, which means if I spend less than 89 days a year in the UK I don't have to pay tax. More WIN than a Winner's Dinner of Winalot Prime!

Because I'm self-employed, it transpires I have to prove to HMRC I have emigrated (which I have, I have no intention of living in the UK again) so I need to get 'that number from the police station.' How do I go about getting it? I don't even know what it's called, and my Spanish is very basic.

Is it a mare getting one of these things? Do I need one within three months of moving here? In which case, I need one next week.

If anyone has any advice, let's PM as I have a few questions regarding Spanish tax.

Thanks in advance,

Vicky

For a start you need the NIE (pronounced something like "knee ya"). This is what you refer to as your "magic number"
Some of the more recent threads linked below should help.
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/sea...g_en&hl=en&q=nie&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&sa=Search#1401

As Warren says its probably the N.I.E. number you are on about.

But I would think in your case to prove you arent residing in the Uk you would actually need to get a 'Residencia' certificate. Anyone can get an NIE, people with holiday homes have them, and they are still primary UK residents. A Residencia Certificate look the same as the NIE but is what it says on the tin, a resident certificate.

So therefore If I was you I would take legal advice first before applying for anything. A decent accountant will be able to advise, also have a mooch on the net.

It is your greatest opportunity to try on showing your masterpiece in the craft you were doing, which is writing. Most of people there are relying more on the contents of every business they add online. Wish you'd try on that thing. Show them what you got and give yourself a shot in boding your confidence.Cheers!

Back