Staying Fit On Vacation

soulcompromise

As many of you may know I'm planning my trip for Playa d'en Bossa in May of 2020. I want to stay fit while I'm there. The hotel has a fitness studio, but I'm also thinking about what I eat while I'm abroad. I usually eat oats for breakfast with a protein shake. For lunch I eat frozen vegetables and 3oz of meat or so on a piece of bread with onions, a slice of tomato, and some barbecue sauce. For dinner, I eat an apple, and even more frozen vegetables.

It must sound strange, but I've been doing this for a long time. I was even seeing a dietitian for awhile. She said I need more variation; i.e. different vegetable/different protein each day.

Why I'm telling you this: I want to try to eat from the grocery store as much as I can. Maybe you can tell me if there is a grocery store in Playa d'en Bossa, or you might have tips for staying fit on vacation! :)

Thank you so much! ?

What about a protein shake in Ibiza? I don't want to think about getting it through the airport, even though it smells like vanilla (the one I have right now). I could just buy all the stuff that I'm used to once I land. I usually buy in bulk. Here, I would be buying probably for just the day because my room will probably not have a freezer (or much of one anyway).

I cannot wait to get there and do all of this! :)

A serious answer. ;) I wouldn't bother with all the weird (sorry!) dietary stuff. Spanish cuisine can be pretty healthy. Walk from PDB to Figueretas and grab a cheap menu del dia for lunch. You might pick something like gazpacho or salad for a starter, have a meat/fish main course, then fruit for dessert. Tapas later on can help swerve carbs (if that's your goal) by focusing just on veg and meat dishes.

A serious answer. ;) I wouldn't bother with all the weird (sorry!) dietary stuff. Spanish cuisine can be pretty healthy. Walk from PDB to Figueretas and grab a cheap menu del dia for lunch. You might pick something like gazpacho or salad for a starter, have a meat/fish main course, then fruit for dessert. Tapas later on can help swerve carbs (if that's your goal) by focusing just on veg and meat dishes.
I was thinking that I could possibly order fish and ask for salad or vegetables instead of rice or potatoes. I hate asking though, but it's worth it.

Dude, I say this in the nicest possible way, but chill out a bit. You seem to have lots of worries, from food to weather to language. Ibiza isn’t a 3rd world country- you can get everything you need.

Don’t plan your trip to the thousandth degree or you’ll end up feeling like you’ve done your trip before you even arrive. Spontaneity is what will make your time on the island, not insane amounts of planning- just go with the flow

Dude, I say this in the nicest possible way, but chill out a bit. You seem to have lots of worries, from food to weather to language. Ibiza isn’t a 3rd world country- you can get everything you need.

Don’t plan your trip to the thousandth degree or you’ll end up feeling like you’ve done your trip before you even arrive. Spontaneity is what will make your time on the island, not insane amounts of planning- just go with the flow
I hope that's not how I come across. I'm actually pretty mellow. It's just that I've been dieting for quite awhile and I don't intend to wreck myself on vacationing.

I'd still like to find some protein powder. Do you know if they do gyms and such on Ibiza? :)

I enjoy the gym and following a diet regimen but also love forgetting about it for a few days when I go away. You’re not gonna be able to follow exactly the same routine when you’re abroad anywhere, especially Ibiza so maybe plan to relax a little bit when you’re away and hit it hard when you get back? You’re not going to lose much, if anything, over a week or so.

But if you really are insistent then there’s a good gym on the beach in PDB as you walk towards the marina and figuretas. Can’t remember the name but it is pretty good, but expensive. About 15 euro for one session if I recall. Few grocery shops about and plenty of restaurants where you can order a simple meat/fish and potatos etc. Maybe just bring a bit of protein powder in your luggage, its not illegal and I doubt anyone is going to mistake it for a massive bag of sniff?

About 15 euro for one session if I recall. Few grocery shops about and plenty of restaurants where you can order a simple meat/fish and potatos etc. Maybe just bring a bit of protein powder in your luggage, its not illegal and I doubt anyone is going to mistake it for a massive bag of sniff?
That $15 sounds ok.

About the powder, I will have to talk to TSA about it. They shit a brick if you try anything remotely suspicious. I know for example I can bring I think it's 3 or 4 oz of hair gel. :)

I checked. It's something about 12 oz. I don't know how much this stuff weighs, but it looks like it'll be allowed which is great news for my diet! :)

Protein or Energy Powders
Carry On Bags:
Yes
Checked Bags:
Yes
Powder-like substances greater than 12 oz. / 350 mL must be placed in a separate bin for X-ray screening. They may require additional screening and containers may need to be opened. For your convenience, we encourage you to place non-essential powders greater than 12 oz. in checked bags.

TSA: Protein Powder Link

That $15 sounds ok.

About the powder, I will have to talk to TSA about it. They shit a brick if you try anything remotely suspicious. I know for example I can bring I think it's 3 or 4 oz of hair gel. :)

I checked. It's something about 12 oz. I don't know how much this stuff weighs, but it looks like it'll be allowed which is great news for my diet! :)

TSA: Protein Powder Link
12oz in carry on luggage but take the whole thing in a checked in case

Ive been working out 6 days a week and eating healthy and running since january so I dont have to to do those things in the slightest bit when Im there in September. Bring on the bacon baby.

I flew over with well over a kilo of protein powder, breakfast shakes (including milled oats), energy & electrolyte powder (white and looking sus as f**k) and protein / energy bars (for 4 days lol). No trouble at all going through security - I used an old duty free plastic bag and filled it with all that plus a load of snacks for the flight and first couple of days, and it wasn't counted as my carry-on, just looked like I'd bought loads of duty free.

I consumed the whole lot out there along with lunches (sandwiches & snacks), midnight dinners (a double on one occasion) and came home exactly the same weight as when I left, but I stay active on holiday. Recommend doing outdoor HIIT on the beach in Talamanca or Santa Eularia, going for a run / hike or two and dancing till you drop if you go out. If you do all that and stay off the beers you'll have fun, feel great and really won't have to worry about putting on any weight ! PS - if you stay off the patatas bravas, a lot of Spanish tapas / mains are protein-heavy (think meat / fish / octopus etc. with minimal carbs). You will not have any trouble, bring what you like in the way of protein etc. If they test it at the x-ray machine they will just do a quick wipe and stick it in the machine, when it reads back negative you'll be on your way.

Why I'm telling you this: I want to try to eat from the grocery store as much as I can. Maybe you can tell me if there is a grocery store in Playa d'en Bossa, or you might have tips for staying fit on vacation! :)

My go-to place for healthy eating when I'm in PDB is Passion Cafe. While not everything there is about being fit, they do have a number of healthy options. I got to eating there because they have good vegetarian fare, and I give them credit for helping me stay in one piece when I'm out at parties nearly 12 hours a day for a week straight. ?

That kind of active lifestyle really does help with staying fit in Ibiza. Combined with just a bit of thought about what I'm eating while I'm there, and I find I always come back more fit and trim than when I left, while still fully enjoying everything including food while I'm there. It's such a positive change from the pace of life for so many Americans.

If you find you need a larger grocery store, there are both ALDI and LIDL stores around too. They're closer to Ibiza Town, but that's just a 5-10 minute trip by taxi if you want to stock up.

There are SO many healthy places to eat on Ibiza, more and more popping up each year. You might even find something a bit more exciting than an apple and vegetables for dinner!

Gyms and fitness is easy to keep up, plenty of gyms to choose from or simply head out for a run and take in the scenery.

Walk loads, dance loads, chill out :)

Back