Spotlight Skateboarders

MiniMarc

It seems there are a few (ex) skateboarders on here!!??
Skateboarding was pretty much my life from the age of 12 to 18 which was about 93 - 2000.

Who were your top skaters back in the day? Best video parts?

For me there's only one and that's Tom Penny around the 95/96 era. I dont think anyone could come close around that time. This is a good collection of him through the years.

We all went to the Premier of Plan B's "second hand smoke". When Jeremy landed THAT frontside flip down the gap at the beginning of his section the place went mental.

always loved to watch skateboarding, but I just wasn't made for it. my thing was inline skating, so even though I was also heavily involved in ramps & rails, I'll shut up about it as it's the skateboarding thread ;)

same with snowboarding though...I was a pretty good skier, then changed over to snowboarding when it got fashionable (when I was 12 or so), but despite riding OK never felt as comfy as on skis so changed back to skiing after 3 or 4 years.

met tony hawk when I worked at a huge event years back :D

Yeah for me snowboarding took over skateboarding eventually , it was a natural progression to try it and i fell in love!

Us old men tried to revive our skating careers this summer but it didnt really materialise! In my head I knew exactly what i wanted to do and how to do it but the muscle memory just wasnt there and I'm carrying a stone or 2 more than when I was 15 ha!
Determined to get back on snow at some point this season and who knows, maybe slowly back on the skateboard too

Great thread Marc:)..you cant beat classic Penny footage. I started like most people around the age of 13-14 and still get out a few times a month with my daughter. So much video clips to think of over the years it might take me a few days to pick some beauty's.

nice thread......tom penny and all the flip-skaters (goeff rowley, ronny creager,...) were my heroes!

here's some rare footage of another legend on 4wheels:

keep skating!!

Last edited:
Haha Chad Muska and Peter Smolik were hilarious. I swear they were trying to out-gangster each other every time they went out!

On Instagram I follow The Berrics and Street League Skateboarding. The standard of skateboarding now is just mind blowing. Literally like something out of a computer game.

When we were kids we met Tom Penny once near southbank. It was just around the time he sort of dissappeard. He was off his head and was mumbling that his grandfather had died and he hadn't slept for days. Still managed to skate around like the coolest mofo ever , we were totally star struck!

Theres a cool thing at http://theberrics.com/ happening at the moment. a bunch of skaters get the place to themselves for 24hrs and have to record their best 60sec run and the public votes for the best. Voting has closed but im just checking out the runs now

Luan's run is ridiculous but I've seen him do alot of those tricks in runs in xgames/street league etc. For me its between Alec and Carlos. I might have voted Alec if I'd been in time. I have a soft spot for hardflips.
If Tiago had landed last trick I think he'd have to win. Easilly the smoothest style and holding grinds/slides longer than anyone else

Frankie Hill, Danny Way and Mike Vallely. Anyone that was into skating from late 80's up to 2000's will know Powell Peralta and their videos Ban This and Propaganda. Take a look at Frankie Hill in Propaganda......still blows my mind to this day!

@MiniMarc &ty..Give me Tom Knox's quick feet and the gritty streets of London in his new part for Isle skateboard before any of that berrics malarkey. .:p I can't put the link up from my $ hitty phone. It's definitely the best uk video for a long long time.

ooooh I'll check it oot. Always thought John Rattray was streets ahead of anyone in the uk then he buggered off to the U.S.

Mike Vallely was a weird one. Obviously a good skater but he was idolised because he was actually a very aggressive/angry person. Wonder if he has sorted out his issues?

WOW just watched this Tom Knox part not sure if its the one you mean?

His style is eerilly similar to Paul Shier from a few years ago
I have so much more respect for uk skaters as you know how horrible and beat up alot of the spots the skate actually are. Like the fairfield halls in croydon , those blocks are horrific!

Its his new part from the video called Vase its only out a few days it's on you tube also. ..yes hes very like paul shier who is another favourite of mine..

has ibiza some kind of a local skateboard szene? can remember some skaters in san antonio and a small spot at the road to amnesia

has ibiza some kind of a local skateboard szene? can remember some skaters in san antonio and a small spot at the road to amnesia

I don't know if there's a proper scene. but yeah there are a few spots, one in figueretas, then the one just outside ibiza town in direction san an. and then there is a mini ramp in can coix, outside san an on the way to cala salada / santa ines

When I brought my board with me in the mid a 90s the port in ibiza town opposite burger king was the spot. .

Back