Sky News Says - "Young People Turning Away from Ibiza"

"Over the last five years, one in six bookings have shifted from those under 30 to the 30-39 age bracket, according to holiday company Thomas Cook"

Thomas cook sell packages, I'd say a great deal of people going to Ibiza in the younger age group just get Ryanair flights and a cheap hotel.

I'd also say under 22/23 are and would be more at home in Malia, Kavos, Magaluf, Faliraki, Napa etc......

On the other hand, 30-39 is probably the age group you can actually afford a proper Ibiza holiday, with several club nights and events etc...
To be honest I've been to Ibiza much much more since I turned 30, easier to afford now.

Probably some truth to the story, but basing it on Thomas cooks bookings doesn't make sense.

Probably some truth to the story, but basing it on Thomas cooks bookings doesn't make sense.

I agree - Thomson flights are also jam packed with families, typically with parents in the 30+ age group in the School holidays - as you'd expect. Jet2 holidays and the passenger profiles of Norwegian, Ryanair and Easyjet would likely tell another story. But don't think I saw many people under 25 on British Airways !

Not news to us forum members exactly as the same has been said on here throughout the summer.

Hopefully a tipping point has been hit due to extortionate prices being charged for drinks and average accommodation.
Maybe the choice of parties and pop up beach clubs has gone into overkill and diluted attendances and atmosphere so people aren't so taken in and planning repeated visits.
In fairness if I was a first timer on the island in the last couple of years and stuck to the tourist traps, I don't think I'd be impressed.

In fairness if I was a first timer on the island in the last couple of years and stuck to the tourist traps, I don't think I'd be impressed.

Indeed - and have heard several say so. Many want to see what all the fuss is about, or else have been prompted by high profile visitors getting media attention. They just won't fall into a long love affair with what they're getting exposed to. Price out the younger generation and what's left may well get harder to persuade, especially when they all go home and tell their friends what a rip-off it all was !!

Price out the younger generation and what's left may well get harder to persuade, especially when they all go home and tell their friends what a rip-off it all was !!
Hopefully this is the start of something. Even those who can afford paying crazy money will get tired if the product doesn't live up.

It's a social media generation and places and people become popular or fall out of favour pretty quickly nowadays. The island has a huge amount of people who fell in love with the island and return year after year regardless of club closings, after hours bans, daytime bans and recessions.
Can't see the current generation being as loyal.
Maybe the island has finally bitten the hand that feeds it.

Hate to say this and even more so hate to admit it but in nearly 30 years of going to my beloved island i felt everyone just wanted my cash. It's always been expensive but i always found places i could equally enjoy to offset that expense but those places are few and far between. Me and the Mrs spent an absolute fortune this year. Some of it we expected and budgeted for but the days where i thought we could spend less and still enjoy "what we came for" simply didn't happen. Formentera equally as bad if not more... We don't mind spending money on holiday but this year i felt we where robbed. With all due respect and before anyone tells me "this place is cheap" or "you can go here for next to nothing" i can do that at home, i go to Ibiza to enjoy everything the place can offer me..

Next year we are going to check out Menorca, been threatening to do it for a few years and this years expense sealed that deal. The hotel and what we get there would cost a mortgage in Ibiza.

Spot on. But there isn't anything to stay loyal to,you're only loyal to something that you are part of.
Any of us who "Get" Ibiza and what it's about are part of something. f*** knows what it is, but it brings us back as often as we can.
But I get your point. If even the locals are being walked over and out priced what's left.
I remember people being surprised and pissed off when Mambo started being cunts about people drinking their own beer in front of their decking.
People were so pissed of at the gentrification of the sunset strip. Look at the place now and how fast it happened.

Hate to say this and even more so hate to admit it but in nearly 30 years of going to my beloved island i felt everyone just wanted my cash. It's always been expensive but i always found places i could equally enjoy to offset that expense but those places are few and far between. Me and the Mrs spent an absolute fortune this year. Some of it we expected and budgeted for but the days where i thought we could spend less and still enjoy "what we came for" simply didn't happen. Formentera equally as bad if not more... We don't mind spending money on holiday but this year i felt we where robbed. With all due respect and before anyone tells me "this place is cheap" or "you can go here for next to nothing" i can do that at home, i go to Ibiza to enjoy everything the place can offer me..

Next year we are going to check out Menorca, been threatening to do it for a few years and this years expense sealed that deal. The hotel and what we get there would cost a mortgage in Ibiza.

Formentera in August is cripplingly expensive and terrible value. You're part of a captive market on a very small island, I actually even took food and some drinks over there the last time I went, and haven't been for a while, need the right weather out of peak Season before the silliness begins in earnest ! I had my horns well and truly reigned in during August but even out of Season places I'd have stopped off at without thinking had become very pricey this year in Ibiza, can only imagine Formentera :evil::rolleyes:.

There's lots of tourist traps in Menorca too and accommodation in some areas is very over-subscribed and poor value depending on the time of year and location. It's as hard to get a last minute room in Menorca as Ibiza most of the time in peak Season unless you're stuck in the middle of a town with no parking ! I usually stay in Cala d'en Bosc or Cala Santandrina as much of the stuff I do is in the North and West, and it's often very hard to get good value rooms round there. This year I wound up with a whole 2-bedroomed Apartment to myself for about £85 a night in late June. It had no aircon but for that compromise I got tonnes of space. The nearby hotels were easily £130 single or so that time of year which I didn't think was good value at all, as bad as Ibiza basically. There's more choices for cheap food though, that side of it is very different :D ! If you're going to explore get a Nissan Juke or similar at least, it'll make the caminos so much easier to navigate ! Whatever it says on the website, Cat C at Enterprise / Atesa usually gets you a Diesel with no surcharges on the desk ;).

I afford it mostly by living 40mins away, not staying too long and avoiding the clubs

i'll see how this next week goes. not quite as defeatist as some on here but probable bread and water through October

same with been going multi times a year since 82.first time this year i have not gone,hotel i stay went up from 760 euro to 1860...thats just a week a/i...and yes a hotel in pdb...seen that resort gone from full of families to young and middle aged people with the money.ok some places are cheap and nice.but down the old fiesta land ( hard rock) ushuaia etc.prices are unreal.And every other hotel in resort as had a refit to keep up.like mine...times have changed alot gone are the days you stayed there for £250 for two weeks.the 1860 is with vip discount as well.

I've definately seen the age creep up during the 5 years i've been going. Me and our group earn decent money and are single with few commitments, but even we were finding the prices excessive this year (admittedly the Pound/Euro rate is a factor) and were finding we were budgeting before we went out each night more than previous years. I just can't see anyone young and earning minimum wage and/or working part-time can even consider Ibiza in the summer now.

The big clubs have always been pricey and you expect that, but even the standard run of the mill bars and supermarkets are charging more, its rare to even find a backstreet bargain bar anymore.

Its a worry for Ibiza's future because at somepoint you'll look round and everyone will be 40+ and it'll feel like Benidorm.

Back