Shuffling in London Clubs?

Not seen it much myself as i hardly go to clubs these days but have seen lots of amusing video's and the 'Anti Foot Shuffling' page on fb is entertaining (all be it quite harsh). The argument tends not to be about the 'shuffle' itself but more about who is doing it and the aggro that seems to accompany these groups.

Hang on.... Have I just stumbled into a boobytrap which is actually just an excuse to talk about......

PHAT PANTS!!!!??

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152414220405305

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW-zl97Ub3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsr-Fjp9r10

Vibe bar on brick lane seems to be the place if you wana see ppl "cuttin shapes"

this was from Mixmag.....
""The stereotypical shuffler brings aggression & 'bad man' mentality to parties. Making people feel uncomfortable in general. People that have been going to these venues/parties long before these shufflers knew what 'OUSE MUSIC' was.
Plus, it looks ****ing ****. The general shufflers all wear moody shades & dancing like chickens.
I know/see very few shufflers who are musically knowledgable & have only started listening to House music this year, basically jumping on the bandwagon & destroying what has been a great underground scene for years. Basically Jamie Jones & Lee Foss fans.
They are not true purveyors of what is a spiritual, soulful thing. Instead they think it's 'going orrrfff' 'mans is gooiinnggg innn in them beats' or 'faaaccckkkk ooofffff'.
It's vile!"

make of it what you will

Last edited by a moderator:
My view on it is simple: the dance move/s themselves are inoffensive. People should be entitled to dance however they like. It's neither here nor there.

... However, there is certainly an element of aggressive behaviour that appears to be more prevalent amongst "that crowd." Stereotypical? Yes. But nevertheless true.

Like a lot of things in life it is a small minority ruining it for the rest of us, and a small minority giving their fellow peers a bad name.

The trouble is that this popular deep house sound has been jumped-on by the crowd that used to be into UKG - a scene where a lot of people thought it was acceptable to bring attitude to a rave. The dance troupes and street dancers that used to be on the "urban" bandwagon have now jumped shipped. (arguably, they are part of the reason the urban scene is on its knees - at least in my area - but that's another story entirely).

Interestingly enough a good friend of mine - a fully-fledged "shuffler" as chance would have it - met the guy who set-up that Anti-Foot Shuffling page on FB (and, I believe, he is the same guy who wrote the piece for Mixmag... although don't quote me). Apparently, both the page and the article are tongue-in-cheek and only half serious - the guy is actually a foot shuffler himself. He created the page to be ironic because he thought it was funny how wound-up some purists were getting about shuffling! :lol: Although he does resent the bad-attitude which is giving all shufflers a bad name.

You can pretty much guarentee which parties are gonna be shuffle-free, and which are gonna be shuffler's paradise, so if it offends you that much, just avoid these placees.

In a related note, I see Magna Carta issued a press-release over the weekend saying they were clamping down on the "type of customer" they will be allowing into future events, and even hinted at reverting to a invite-only policy. More than a little nod to the shufflers me thinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was expecting some minimal movement, just slight movement of the feet type thing.. :lol: Then I looked at the videos. I think what would be most annoying about that is the dancer has no awareness of or care for the people around them, as they move backwards and from side to side almost at random. :rolleyes: How much space are they in effect taking up for themselves? If everyone 'shuffled', the clubs would need to allow 3 square metres per person. It looks like rude, inconsiderate behaviour to me.

some might argue its a nod back to the days when people used to dance properly and far better than a standard 'fist pump'. Others might say it just looks retarded

still to watch these videos (youtube blocked in work), i do have a mental picture of what it will be like though...:lol::lol:

are little man bags on show as well?

It's hilariously funny, I would love to see shufflers everywhere.

Agree with with Minimarc regarding the fist pumpers though: pumping a fist and shouting "whooo" is not dancing either.

I'd describe my moves as "james brown and napoleon dynamite doing a bit of vogueing" myself.

Top nunchuck skills on the dancefloor.8)

Important to distinguish between the hard dance shufflers and new breed of London "wannabe scenester" shuffler. The former seem to jump around more and cover more ground/take more space. The latter, if the interweb is to be believed, seems to be little less mobile and appear at London warehouse dos and things like Creche.

Events like this are appearing which suggests an actual movement
http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?361218

There seems to be a suggestion the 'shape-cutters' are crossing over from the grime scene (hence the MC-ing over deep house), prompting some allegations of racism/classism against that anti-shufflers.

More as we hear it, and now here's the weather with MarkB.............

Reckons Circo Loco was "da best" when it comes to raves.

That H 2 da Izzo thing annoys me far more than the dancing, to be honest. Back in the day these guys would have been breakdancing - which took up a tad more room on the dancefloor (and definitely best to steer a wide berth when underway - as you'd get a kick in the chops from a spinning foot rather than a spilt drink !)

The main problem is that clubs are like sardine cans which means those genuine shufflers can't find anywhere to go. They need to keep their thing underground really - taking it to mainstream clubs is a bit like turning up at Sunday School in a jumpsuit and Jimmy Saville shades.

Back