Restaurant reviews 2020/2021/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted on ibiza gossip 2020:

2021's trend: burgsushi
The restaurant right outside Ibiza Rocks Hotel is now called Tokio, one of the few opening across the island this year. It's the project of varios partners including Gonzalo Aragüez, the chef of the new 528 (previously known as Gala Night/Benimussa Park, which officially opens on friday 6th).

IMG_20210801_121026.jpg

I've been going to Gala Night since I was a baby (weddings, baptisms, communions, concerts, you name it!) so I was well excited to be invited to the soft opening of 528 as the place has always being special to me. It's great that in these uncertain times there's people that has the guts to get into such a pharaonic project like this.

Located on the hills of Benimussa, the massive complex has been operating non-stop since 1976. No, it never was abandoned. And no, it never was a zoo (animals were one of the many attractions for tourists, who were brought in busses from all across the island). How much damage Mixmag and the likes have done. Certain promoters too.

Bartolo Escandell continues being the owner, now with leisure industry pioneer Andy McKay (Manumission/Ibiza Rocks/Pikes) as partner. The place is huge so the possibilities are infinite, even more so after next winter's refurbishments inside. The potential is endless and we'll be talking about their events calendar a lot in the coming years, you'll see.

IMG_20210802 (1) - copia.jpg

The reason why we were there last night, the final dress rehearsal as Andy called it during his speech, was to sample the menu created by head chef Gonzalo Aragüez (Destino/Lio/Sa Brisa) and sous chef Massimiliano Bartelloni. They've taken over the area previously known as the sunset terrace. Sadly it was cloudy yesterday but most evenings you can enjoy the sunset from there, an extra bonus.

The gastronomic journey started before being seated at our table, as we went through various tables to try some tasty munchies while listening about their relationship with Ibiza and Formentera. A bit of history to start the evening, nice. Of all the food they brought to our table, the most suprising taste for me was the alioli with saffron; my favourite dish was the mackerel with Ibiza figs; and, me being a cheese lover, I can't not mention the mini pizza with goat cheese and truffle.

IMG_20210802 (2) - copia.jpg

Obviously the show is a very important piece in this puzzle, it's a theatrical dining experience after all. The whole idea of capturing the essence of Ibiza and condense it into a dinner show might sound a bit pretentious but a show about the heritage of Ibiza with a modern touch will always have my thumps up.

Throughout the night we saw some amazing theatrical shows and a few cool singers, highlight being the chica who sang "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen (made popular in the '90s by the great Jeff Buckley).

IMG_20210802 (11) - copia.jpg

Last but not least, special mention to their super-friendly staff. Top notch from the moment we entered until the moment we left.

Stay tuned for W_I_C's article on the main site. And if you want to see pictures and videos, check Ibiza Spotlight's instagram for quality footage by captain Stivi.

528 officially opens its doors this friday, 6th of august. This week open friday through sunday and from next week, thursday through sunday. From 7:55pm (five minutes to eight!) to 1am. Check their booking options
here.

Great review

Is this the terrace above the 'indoor club' bit? I've been up there a few times chilling with friends involved in nights

Will be interesting to see what the drinks prices are like on top of the €150 dinner / show. One to do with visitors again I guess

What are people’s thoughts on La Oliva in Dalt Vila?

Friends coming over at the beginning of next month (yes, I plan ahead) and I love the vibe of that street but wondered if there was anywhere better in that area to go (or anywhere less of a tourist trap but with the same vibe)

interested to hear reviews/thoughts

Friends coming over at the beginning of next month (yes, I plan ahead) and I love the vibe of that street but wondered if there was anywhere better in that area to go (or anywhere less of a tourist trap but with the same vibe)

I used to love that area years ago and ate there or in La Torreta at least once each trip. However, it has definitely become very touristy, expensive and last year, I was worried about the lack of social distancing in that area as tables are very close together.

Back from the island last week... So, now it's time for my yearly restaurant review ;-)

Salinas:

Sa Trinxa:

As always, the food is very good, about the same menu for many years (but I noticed a very few plates disappeared), but it is always very good.
And as every year, I can only recommend their Sangria de Cava Rosado on the beach before heading to the restaurant ;-)
They only take reservations for more than 4 people, else there is now a queue to get your table... but we never had to wait for too long.
It is not overpriced for the location and quality of food.

Ibiza Town & Dalt Vila:

Can den Para:

It is a long-time favorite at Dalt Vila for us... Their Paella is amazing, one of the best we tried on the island.
If you are very hungry, you must try their double steak with goat cheese in the middle and delicious sauce.
I love their Flao as well...
The owner is so kind, nice words with all the customers, and he always has fun serving the free Hierbas bottle... (Un poquito mas? Un Poquito mas?).
As a big fan of Hierbas, he even let us try his own homemade Hierbas which was delicious...
Prices are not expensive at all.

Locals Only:

Probably my favorite at Plaza Del Parque. Nice staff, food is very good, cocktails as well.
They are trying to serve bio and local ingredients.
I recommend their rice balls!
Prices are OK

La Taberna del Parque:

My other favorite at Plaza Del Parque... Very kind staff, the French waiter was so cool with us.
We tried many tapas, and all were amazing (my favorite being the Gambas al Aioli) and the quantity was perfect.
Prices are OK

Henri Tavern (not 100% sure of the name, it is at the angle of Plaza del Parque in front of Spar):

Terrible service... arrived around 2PM we were the only customers + another table.
We ordered bottles of water and we asked for a few minutes to select our tapas.
The waiter came back with our bottles of water, not a single word, and not asking for our order...
Then he left us, never came back. I tried to make a sign but he wasn't even looking at us.
It looked like he was too busy doing nothing.
After 20 minutes, we decided to leave and moved to Taberna del Parque (which we realized we should have done directly...)

Talamanca:

Patchwork:

Wow... what a stunning view at that restaurant! Patchwork is located on the rooftop of Sa Punta restaurant.
Lebanese food at his best, tasty, well prepared,...
Service is how it should be for such a restaurant, kind and very attentive to your needs.
They have the best cocktails we tried this year, reminds me of the amazing cocktails from KM5...
Perfect mixing between alcohol and fresh ingredients.
Food prices are ok, this can quickly go up with the wine and cocktails... but when you go to that kind of restaurant, you know that it will not be cheap ;-)
We will go back!

Playa d'en Bossa:

Mumak:

We often go to Mumak when we are at Playa d'en Bossa and we don't know where we want to go ;-)
A mix of South America & Asia food.
The location is nice, next to the beach in a quiet spot.
Food is good in big portions, but my wife didn't like his Caprese salad, the mozzarella and tomato were "industrial".
Prices are OK

Los Parasoles:

First time this year as we were looking for an indoor location to eat with friends in PdB because of storms.
This was a nice discovery, the food was very good and not that expensive, service was ok.
I would only advise not to take the pizzas as those are clearly industrial ones...
The salads were very good, their paella looked amazing (but we didn't try)!
Prices are OK for PdB

La Griferia:

We had to eat with a long date local friend, and he told us that we could meet there.
The place was full of locals enjoying their lunch.
We ordered a lot of tapas... wow all were amazing! We even tried special tapas with an egg inside of a potato, which was so good!
We wanted to try so many different tapas that it was very difficult to finish all the plates ;-)
Their cocktails were amazing as well! What a Mojito...
It was our first time there, but not the last! I already heard good comments about that place on the forum, and I can only recommend going there!
Prices were not expensive at all!

Sant Joan:

Giri Café:

We love that place, so peaceful and the food is so fresh!
Cocktails are very good (and choice difficult :)).
I recommend their amazing Salmon tartar.
The service was very kind.
A bit pricey but the location is so nice...

Om Sweet Home - Sabores Naturales Restaurant:

Vegan/Vegetarian and healthy food only.
Their salads are amazing, and they have a lot of detox drinks & foods.
I recommend their fresh pasta (gluten-free option available), and their homemade pizza.
Prices are not expensive at all, really recommended!

San Antonio:

Bresca:

Back from an Es Vedra boat trip... we were hungry and stopped at Bresca after seeing photos of their gluten-free pizzas.
It is an Italian restaurant from Bologna.
My wife told me that it was the best gluten-free pizza she ever tried!
The "normal" pizzas are very good too, not the usual pizza but more a long bread.
Their fresh pasta was very good... Service was very kind. I recommend this place!
Prices were not expensive at all.

Funny note: they have a disco toilet with 2 disco lights and music ;-)

Sant Jordi:

Rasca Lobos:

It has now become a yearly ritual to go there.
Their tapas are so good, and the portions are....... if you're hungry, you have to go to that place :)
I recommend their Russian Salad and their Gazpacho.
The owner is so kind to us every time. This is one of my favorite tapas places...
Prices are quite cheap.

Sa Caleta:

We are big fans of Sa Caleta, going there year after year...
But that time we were very disappointed.
The service was not good at all, completely disorganized, running from table to table.
We had to wait about 25 minutes to have someone take our orders...
They forgot our wine and we had to ask for it a few times.
We had to ask 3 or 4 times to get the ice cream for my daughter.
Their Tortilla (which I considered the best I ever tried) was not good,...
The paella was ok though.
The restaurant was full, maybe the bad service can be explained by inexperienced staff?
There was one waiter which looked way more experienced that tried to solve all mistakes done by the other ones...
The good thing is that Cafe Caleta was still very good ;)
Sorry Sa Caleta team... but that year it was a miss :-(
Prices are ok for the location.

Sant Josep:

Raco Verde:

After an amazing hike with @stivi (which I can't recommend enough, even with kids ;-)), we all stopped at Raco Verd which is one of our all-time favorite.
What to say about that place... The service is very kind, the food is so good, the location is nice, cocktails are amazing...
We are going there for so many years and never were disappointed.
So many great moments with @stivi... it was that kind of perfect afternoon & dinner ;-) Thanks a lot, stivi! And see you in October :) (my daughter is still speaking about you and the pirate cove ;-)).
Prices are cheap.

Restaurante Cala D'Hort:

We had to show Es Vedra to an Ibiza "virgin" who joined us, so we decided to go to Cala D'Hort and then have lunch at Restaurante Cala D'Hort.
The last time for me there was about 10 years ago, but it didn't change.
Food is very good, fish is fresh, amazing paella, and good service. Recommended place...
Prices are quite cheap.

Santa Eulalia / Sant Joan:

Nagai:

We wanted to have a nice dinner for our last night, so we decided to go to Nagai for the first time... and... wow... what a place!
The service was the best of our holidays, kind, attentive, doing their best to make the customer happy.
The restaurant is beautiful, live music with amazing covers.
Their sushis are truly amazing, some of the best I've ever tried.
Amazing cocktails, perfect plates... Another recommended place! They deserve their reputation!
Prices are a bit expensive, but as for Patchwork, you know it when you're going to that kind of restaurant.

Advice for this year... book your restaurant in advance! So many restaurants are full...

Pfff with so many places we love, it is becoming more and more difficult to find slots to try new restaurants ;-)
Can't wait to be back in October!

Used to be our favorite place. Food still good but portions kept getting smaller and smaller.
Since the owner's daughter took over, it's more about eat quick, pay and bye.
We tried El Olivo which was good.
Can den parra is among our favorites.
The area always been touristy.

I finally got along to try I-BEEF-A Burger in San Antonio last night. Look, it's not gonna win any gastro-awards, I think that much is clear. But the service was really welcoming and the residence discount much appreciated. As good as the burgers that you get at Ibiza Rocks Bar, if you want a comparison

One to file under: quick bite to eat on a hangover at a reasonable price

Any pizza review from the weekend @stivi ?

ah yes!

after having driven or walked past this place many times, I finally tried out natural pau at the start of the bay of san antonio (on the left hand side past o beach). we all had pizzas and while they aren't the same naples style pizzas I was raving about when talking about farina santa, they are very good too.

also - their huge garden with the tables under the trees is a lovely place for a summer night! you can't book tables in advance and you simply queue up outside.

definitely a 'go' from my side if you want a decent pizza in the san an area. they also had shawarmas which lots of people on the neighbouring tables ordered.

ah yes!

after having driven or walked past this place many times, I finally tried out natural pau at the start of the bay of san antonio (on the left hand side past o beach). we all had pizzas and while they aren't the same naples style pizzas I was raving about when talking about farina santa, they are very good too.

also - their huge garden with the tables under the trees is a lovely place for a summer night! you can't book tables in advance and you simply queue up outside.

definitely a 'go' from my side if you want a decent pizza in the san an area. they also had shawarmas which lots of people on the neighbouring tables ordered.
Ah, fond memories of sitting at the bar there (on a swing maybe?) and being completely ignored for 20 minutes before sacking it off and going to Tulp for a drink instead. Hope it’s better now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back