Restaurant reviews 2017/2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve been creatures of habit the last couple of years as our favourites have since become the kids favourites too. So I don’t think I have any new additions from our recent trip. So at the risk of just repeating previous reviews, here is a brief selection of no frills but delicious places on the island that deserve another mention for anyone seeking out a bit of classic old school Ibiza.

Bar Costa, Santa Getrudis
I've banged on about this place every year. Bocadillos around €4 with jamon / sobresada / salami / Manchego etc or €7 with Iberico, or choose from small plates with their legendary home made bread + tomato. Plenty of options. A very cheap and very good lunch.

El Carmen, Cala d'Hort
Again I bang on about here almost every year but seriously we all have to be very grateful for places like this. A prime location with an incredible view overlooking the two rocks that are so loved and have become part of the islands identity right across the world. Incredible. So... clearly, in the wrong hands, the heritage of Cala d'Hort could very easily be destroyed in a flash if places like El Carmen were under the ownership of people with questionable motives involving Bali beds, bell ends and minimum spends. Each to their own of course. Ha. Thankfully, it’s none of those things, it's a traditional, bustling, slickly run fish restaurant with amazing staff and imo still one of the best paellas on the island with prices starting from just €20 per person. So, the cheapest paella option; a simple Spanish paella for two and a couple of glasses of vino for €45 in the front row view to Es Vedra? Bravo.

Can Pilot, San Rafael
Sensational. Hard to beat this place. Exactly the same standard and texture of meat the last time we were there. We opted for the Ox T bone on the table bbq grill. Potatoes. Grilled tomatoes. Grilled peppers. Huge choice on the menu. Prices the same. Outstanding service the same. Vibe the same. Consistently brilliant.

Fonda Can Costa, Ibiza Town
Blink and you’ll miss it. Back streets of the marina, down a few steps into a basement, a handful of tables with classic red and white tablecloths and welcoming hosts. Family owned restaurant since 1924. Soup starter a few Euro, grilled fish of your choice with salad and potatoes €11.50, flao to finish. Simple as that.

Bar San Juan, Ibiza Town
Another essential. The oldest restaurant in Ibiza (I think?). Very simple Spanish food. Zero frills. No reservations, either arrive before opening and queue for a little bit before 8.30pm or come a bit later and they can take your name and give you a rough time to come back. Tables inside and also out the back on the street. Starters from a few euro upwards, main dishes from €7-15 ish max. Daily specials. Bottle house red €6 or €7. Tins of Estrella for cañas.

Es Pins, San Juan Road near San Lorenzo
A fantastic little place still keeping it very real with their traditional dishes. Again incredible prices for proper food cooked by people who care. Quite a small menu compared to other places but some gems throughout including salads, classic rice dishes and slow cooked meats. Fish soup is great at around €8 plus their sofrit pagès is amaxing at around €13/14. Their standout though is their home baked bread which is just awesome. Well worth the trip.

Yeah more of this please defo be going to some of these next week....I'd also recommend under Classic Old school :

Can Sulayetas
Aquarium Cap Blanc -
Sardines on Fri + Sat
Camì de Balafia
calaescondidaibiza
Las Puertas del Cielo

Back in Ibiza from 7th until 14th of October... I will again try to find a few places I didn't visit yet :)

I'll go of course to a few of my favorites (Sa Caleta, Sa Trinxa, Locals Only, Raco Verde most probably), but I really want to find a few new spots.

Only with my wife and my daughter, so I'll probably look more after family friendly restaurants ;-) No expensive things like Casa Maca, Amante,...

So, I'll post pretty soon my second restaurant review for this year ;-)

Quick list of places I already visited... I'm sure I forgot many restaurants in 20 years of memories ;-)
And some of them don't exist anymore...

105 by La Cantine / Amante / Angolo / Bambuddha Grove / Bar Anita / Boat House / Bora Bora Restaurant / Brisamar / Buenas Ondas
Ca Na Ribes / Cala Bassa Beach Club / Cala D'Hort Restaurant / Can Den Parra / Can Salinas / Casa Maca / Ciao Ciao
Dunes / El Bucanero / El Carmen /Experimental Beach / Fish Shack / Giri Cafe / Herry's Bar / Jockey Club / KM5
Kumharas / L'Elephant / La Brasa / La Oliva / La Scala / La Taberna Del Parque / La Tana / Las Dos Lunas / Locals Only
Manapany / Moorea / Mumak / Om Sweet Home / Passion / Raco Verde / Rasca Lobos / Restaurante 2000 / Restaurante Es Cubells
S'Escalinata / Sa Caleta / Sa Trinxa / Sissi's / Super Tuscan

Lots of different styles & prices, but not enough local favorites... I'll try to remediate this during my next trips :)

To all regulars of the restaurant thread, what are (for you) the best restaurants missing from this list? (if possible family friendly, and preferably possible to eat outdoor...)

Thanks in advance ;-)

We’ve been creatures of habit the last couple of years as our favourites have since become the kids favourites too. So I don’t think I have any new additions from our recent trip. So at the risk of just repeating previous reviews, here is a brief selection of no frills but delicious places on the island that deserve another mention for anyone seeking out a bit of classic old school Ibiza.

Bar Costa, Santa Getrudis
I've banged on about this place every year. Bocadillos around €4 with jamon / sobresada / salami / Manchego etc or €7 with Iberico, or choose from small plates with their legendary home made bread + tomato. Plenty of options. A very cheap and very good lunch.

El Carmen, Cala d'Hort
Again I bang on about here almost every year but seriously we all have to be very grateful for places like this. A prime location with an incredible view overlooking the two rocks that are so loved and have become part of the islands identity right across the world. Incredible. So... clearly, in the wrong hands, the heritage of Cala d'Hort could very easily be destroyed in a flash if places like El Carmen were under the ownership of people with questionable motives involving Bali beds, bell ends and minimum spends. Each to their own of course. Ha. Thankfully, it’s none of those things, it's a traditional, bustling, slickly run fish restaurant with amazing staff and imo still one of the best paellas on the island with prices starting from just €20 per person. So, the cheapest paella option; a simple Spanish paella for two and a couple of glasses of vino for €45 in the front row view to Es Vedra? Bravo.

Can Pilot, San Rafael
Sensational. Hard to beat this place. Exactly the same standard and texture of meat the last time we were there. We opted for the Ox T bone on the table bbq grill. Potatoes. Grilled tomatoes. Grilled peppers. Huge choice on the menu. Prices the same. Outstanding service the same. Vibe the same. Consistently brilliant.

Fonda Can Costa, Ibiza Town
Blink and you’ll miss it. Back streets of the marina, down a few steps into a basement, a handful of tables with classic red and white tablecloths and welcoming hosts. Family owned restaurant since 1924. Soup starter a few Euro, grilled fish of your choice with salad and potatoes €11.50, flao to finish. Simple as that.

Bar San Juan, Ibiza Town
Another essential. The oldest restaurant in Ibiza (I think?). Very simple Spanish food. Zero frills. No reservations, either arrive before opening and queue for a little bit before 8.30pm or come a bit later and they can take your name and give you a rough time to come back. Tables inside and also out the back on the street. Starters from a few euro upwards, main dishes from €7-15 ish max. Daily specials. Bottle house red €6 or €7. Tins of Estrella for cañas.

Es Pins, San Juan Road near San Lorenzo
A fantastic little place still keeping it very real with their traditional dishes. Again incredible prices for proper food cooked by people who care. Quite a small menu compared to other places but some gems throughout including salads, classic rice dishes and slow cooked meats. Fish soup is great at around €8 plus their sofrit pagès is amaxing at around €13/14. Their standout though is their home baked bread which is just awesome. Well worth the trip.
Could be an @Amigo food tour in few weeks for us?

Quick list of places I already visited... I'm sure I forgot many restaurants in 20 years of memories ;-)
And some of them don't exist anymore...

105 by La Cantine / Amante / Angolo / Bambuddha Grove / Bar Anita / Boat House / Bora Bora Restaurant / Brisamar / Buenas Ondas
Ca Na Ribes / Cala Bassa Beach Club / Cala D'Hort Restaurant / Can Den Parra / Can Salinas / Casa Maca / Ciao Ciao
Dunes / El Bucanero / El Carmen /Experimental Beach / Fish Shack / Giri Cafe / Herry's Bar / Jockey Club / KM5
Kumharas / L'Elephant / La Brasa / La Oliva / La Scala / La Taberna Del Parque / La Tana / Las Dos Lunas / Locals Only
Manapany / Moorea / Mumak / Om Sweet Home / Passion / Raco Verde / Rasca Lobos / Restaurante 2000 / Restaurante Es Cubells
S'Escalinata / Sa Caleta / Sa Trinxa / Sissi's / Super Tuscan

Lots of different styles & prices, but not enough local favorites... I'll try to remediate this during my next trips :)

To all regulars of the restaurant thread, what are (for you) the best restaurants missing from this list? (if possible family friendly, and preferably possible to eat outdoor...)

Thanks in advance ;-)
Balansat
Balafia
Cas Pages
La Luna ne'll Orto

Oh yeah and Peggy Gou was at the table near us, bit of celeb spotting.

They brought us out blankets as we were cold, which was lovely, and were awesome with our 11 year old, even though you could argue the place is quite fancy. Staff lovely!

Here's one for meat lovers: Visions in the Bay (opposite Sol House and next door to El Kiosko). Bit of a weird place, as it doubles-up as TurboRentACar (the hallmark of quality!)

€20 for a mixed grill. I was ravenous, and didn't finish it. Would surely be ample for 2 people - especially if you order bread and dip beforehand, which thankfully I didn't. Generous meat portions cooked to the North African style. Never judge a book by its cover - I'll be back for sure!

Went to La Gaia in the Ibiza Gran hotel last night - Japanese / Peruvian fusion.

Probably the best place I have eaten in Ibiza, ever.

Superb.

We went beginning of the season; quite spectacular presentation and incredibly tasty food.
Even with the amount of food we had, we didn't feel full. Exquisite.

Here's one for meat lovers: Visions in the Bay (opposite Sol House and next door to El Kiosko). Bit of a weird place, as it doubles-up as TurboRentACar (the hallmark of quality!)

€20 for a mixed grill. I was ravenous, and didn't finish it. Would surely be ample for 2 people - especially if you order bread and dip beforehand, which thankfully I didn't. Generous meat portions cooked to the North African style. Never judge a book by its cover - I'll be back for sure!
Was recommended this place, mixed grill was meat feast heaven. It’s no thrills but well worth the money.

Alll righty - I didn't want to put all of the restaurants in my upcoming 'How was it' post, so here goes on some of the places we went on our trip

Project Social - I can definitely see why this place is recommended. Super hipster and cool (and serves a brewdog so I was happy). We went for breakfast and Matt had the poached eggs on hash browns which looked epic. I went for the tostada which was a bit of a let down. Nice place to sit and watch the world go by, and not too expensive.

El Puntal - Literally across the road from Project Social and hands down the best tostada I had during the entire trip. Nice and cheap, local feeling which I loved and the whole place is lovely and chilled.

Taco Paco - Went for a late dinner on the first night, and because of the late booking unfortunately no tables outside for us. It was a Saturday night and the place was packed, but service was still great. I love a long dinner and appreciate a wait between courses (gives me time for another cocktail) and Taco Paco was perfect for this. We all had different versions of the soft tacos. I had the duck which was SO nice, but friends also loved the pork and spicy beef. The margaritas were also delicious (and strong!!)

Pikes Sunday Roast - We booked a 7pm table, which I guess would be the latest for their service. Unfortunately, this meant that we got the dregs of what was left in the kitchen, which was very disappointing. Though the meats were all lovely, the Yorkshires were inedible and the potatoes over-cooked. It's obviously not the cheapest place to eat on the island so I would expect a little better - but maybe our fault for going at the end of service?

S'escalinita Dalt Villa - I had seen this place on google/pintrest before and I thought with all the roads and paths of Dalt Vila we'd never find it. So when we stumbled upon it I basically just took a seat and said 'we're stopping here!'. Obviously SUPER touristy, and I am now in many peoples photos, but we enjoyed our snack of bread/guacamole and ham tostada and particularly enjoyed the white sangria. Not overly expensive considering it's location and lure. Service was nice and quick and it's a lovely place to sit back and relax on the beanbags after a climb through the streets of Dalt Vila

Cala Bassa Beach Club - We basically just went for late morning/early afternoon on our last day, so we didn't go for a full meal, just breakfast. The ham and cheese tostada that we both had is a very close 2nd to the one at El Puntal, and washed down with a jug of white sangria made it even better. Obviously this place isn't cheap, but I was pleasantly surprised with the size of the dishes given to us (I'd expect them to be half the size) and loved that the wine was poured into the sangria at the bed for a bit of theatre.

Beso Formentara - Our friend took us over to Formentara for the first time and we went to Beso at 4pm for a late lunch. Now, Matt never ever eats seafood but promised to give Paella a go. We went for the blind Paella (without shells etc) and low and behold he actually liked it!! It's expensive, yes, but the vibe is great and it reminds me a bit of Friday brunches here in Dubai. With the limited menu (basically paellas and a couple of other dishes) they do it well, and the service is pretty quick. Everyone was enjoying themselves so you probably wouldn't even notice dishes or drinks taking a while. Cocktails were good and strong and made the cycle back to the port very interesting haha!!

Obviously once we got to San Antonio for the weekend we did all the classics. Ibiza Rocks Bar, Tapas and Fresh - which were all done last year but we like 'em so we wanted to go!

Main review of everything else here!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back