Primary schools in ibiza

Annac

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of the state schools in Ibiza and more importantly can they recommend a good primary school? We know the island well, but have no clue about schools.

Also, how does the application process work; is it similar to the English system where you put three school choices down?

My other half and I are moving to Ibiza in the next couple of years, just before my little boy is due to start school.

God, it used to be clubs... now it's schools. Ahh, well... all good.

Thanks.

i could type an essay about this........and i'm more than happy to help ease the pain.

in simple terms, you might find that you end up living where there is space in the local school, unless you mind driving far every day.

we wanted to live in sant josep but the school was very oversubscribed, as was Jesus, which was also a place we thought of living.

but yes you do select a first and second choice and it's a points system..for which you'll be about the lowest scoring.

also, kids start school from the calendar year in which they are 3, so be aware of that. when they are 6, school proper starts.

why don't you send me an private message with what you wanna know specifically and i'll answer and point you in the right direction.

also, i can't recommend the state education here enough, well at least the primary experience so far.

the facilities are probably not what they are in the UK (IT equipment for example) but i have absolutely no doubt that the hands on approach and especially the focus on all round development rather than discipline or meeting targets........is much better for them.

moreover, the support systems are excellent, from extra classes for catalan or particular areas they find difficult, through to dedicated/specific help for special needs or even things like speech therapy or behaviour/confidence problems.

also, i can't recommend the state education here enough
the facilities are probably not what they are in the UK (IT equipment for example) but i have absolutely no doubt that the hands on approach and especially the focus on all round development rather than discipline or meeting targets........is much better for them.

moreover, the support systems are excellent, from extra classes for catalan or particular areas they find difficult, through to dedicated/specific help for special needs or even things like speech therapy or behaviour/confidence problems.
I echo the above about the secondary education, It is not an "English" standard,(driven by numbers) If you want that, use the french school or send the to a UK boarding, If they intend to stay here after, Who you know and if you can speak Catalan to them can make a difference :)

Have a good one
Tim

sad innit? who you know not what you know.

my experience as a teacher of ibiza 'educated' kids is that they can't think creatively as the education system seems to be based on learning things parrot fashion. still, when all you need is catalan to get on, why do you need to think creatively. is it any wonder nothing works to its potential on this island.

sad innit? who you know not what you know.

my experience as a teacher of ibiza 'educated' kids is that they can't think creatively as the education system seems to be based on learning things parrot fashion. still, when all you need is catalan to get on, why do you need to think creatively. is it any wonder nothing works to its potential on this island.

that's basically the exact opposite of what i've seen, from the year my daughter did in the UK and what she's done here.

anyway, as long as everything works to its potential in the creative thinking island of great britain.

I was told that the public system is poor, problems that Stephen alludes to, and the place you want to be is in the international school. The older children that come out of the system are not the best equipped to find good jobs, as the education is parochial

But if Grego says its good, then you cant beat first hand experience of a parent with a child actually in the system......

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told that the public system is poor, problems that Stephen alludes to, and the place you want to be is in the international school. The older children that come out of the system are not the best equipped to find good jobs, as the education is parochial

But if Grego says its good, then you cant beat first hand experience of a parent with a child actually in the system......

yeah but you also thought locals spoke english over castellano!

at primary school level, the international school is basically there to teach spanish kids english. even if i had the money, i wouldn't think twice about moving them there.

in fact, they're exactly the same thing.

when talking about language, castellano/español describe the same thing......the spanish language to me and you.

Back