Playa Real in Talamanca will turn into a luxurious hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd to think that the cheapest hotel along the beach might become the most expensive...

great location though!

theibizasun

Grupo Playa Sol, the hotel group which is currently in the hands of the receivers, has received enquiries from several sources interested in buying the chain, which is the largest on the Island, with a total of 11,000 beds and employing 1,300 people. The General Director of the group, Ximo Sola, said that there were apparently at least four companies involved, but that the matter needed to be given careful consideration before any final decisions could be made, but he reiterated that the group would not change hands for some time, until all the legal processes had been completed. He added that the law stipulates that a chain of this nature should be sold en bloc and not split up into individual entities, as there are several services which do not supply just one of the businesses, but cover several. "Our aim is to wind up our participation with the minimum loss of jobs". Although 2013 has been a very good year for the group, with occupation better than the average, a large proportion of the money generated has gone to pay off some of the enormous debt inherited from the previous proprietor, Fernando Ferré, a figure which is in excess of three hundred million euros. Sola admitted that to pay this off just from the earnings of the hotels would take many years, adding, "The company is viable, but the debts from the past make it difficult to operate".

One hotel which was previously operated by GPS, the Hotel Playa Real in Talamanca, will change hands in the near future. It used to be rented from the proprietors who have now decided to sell to a British company, headed by David Shamoon, who successfully turned round the fortunes of two hotels in Marbella, the Marbella Club and the Puente Romano, when he took them over in the 1990s, converting them into luxury destinations for the wealthier members of society. At the moment the Playa Real has two-hundred and fifty rooms, but the complex will be gutted to increase the size of the facilities and therefore upgrade its star rating. The reconstruction work is expected to commence shortly but it is possible that it will not be possible to reopen the hotel in time for the 2014 season, as a vast amount of work will be involved if the vision of the new owners is to be realized.

As Expedia & Hotels.com are still selling 2014 holidays there - I hope not - but very worrying for anyone who has booked up

right, there is absolutely no building/remodeling work going on at playa real. nothing. zero. i suppose they'll either stay closed this summer (hope not for those who already booked) or then just open as normal 'playa real' for another season.

now i can admit it ;)
always wanted to check that place out ... so
i was one of the very last guests in oct 2013
b4 it closed for good (at least under gps-flag).

top location and most reviews i had read b4 how run down it is complete nonsense.
staff wasn´t amused at all about the new owner with certain background ...
there were talks about renovation or even demolish it and start from scratch.
but obviously nothing happened till now ...
only downside - just don´t like talamancebeach for swimming .. water sometimes looks clear, but something is very wrong there i think

It's a shame it's closed down. Really offered good value considering its location. In June you could sometimes get it ridiculously cheap £40 a night, and considering you can walk to Pacha and Ibiza Town from it was a good cheap base for a few nights.

the other day i spotted a black hummer on the door and a security guy in and out... maybe someone interested in buying it was having a look?!

Walked past it yesterday and it looked like a ghost town. Absolutely covered the bats too.

Although some lights were on, rather spookily! :eek:

"the hotel will be closed in the next season, as the work is expected to take several months"

thanks for the update, Salem!

what update ??

that article is from back in the day (2013) !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back