Photos of Futureheads & Kooks @ Ibiza Rocks (August 12)

Dr Mick

Talking to Ibiza Spotlight after the conclusion of Faithless’ performance, Ibiza Rocks and loyal Beeb man Zane Lowe (below) said “Tonight’s just been incredible. This is the first night we’ve had the main room open as well. People were incredibly energised after their show. They’re looking for something else and we’ve got that.”

lowe01.jpg

Zane Lowe @ the Music Box - August 12, 2005

“That” was the Music Box. Appearing at 4am were the Futureheads, the all-singing indie quartet from Sunderland, UK, personally sequestered by Lowe for the debut Ibiza Rocks season.

Known for ‘Decent Days and Nights’, ‘A to B’, a cover of ‘Hounds of Love’ by Kate Bush and now front man Barry Hyde’s criminally boofy haircut (below), their rapid-fire delivery and chiming guitars gave their chanting fans exactly what they were looking for.

futureheads05.jpg

the Futureheads @ the Music Box - August 12, 2005

futureheads03.jpg

futureheads02.jpg

futureheads01.jpg

Zane too is an avowed crowd pleaser and gives a Balearic-ly bonafide definition of his dj style: “[My tunes are] a mix between current contemporary hits, some interesting newer stuff and real classics. It’s almost like a Sherpa Tenzing theory you know - you can’t climb Everest with just one person. The hits enable the newer songs to break through. It’s a student bar philosophy, mixed with a bit of Heavenly Social back in the day when people would play Public Enemy next to Chemical Brothers, next to Bob Dylan. I’m just looking for the right vibe, the right mood. I’m not looking to necessarily play the hottest sh1t at the same tempo. I’m just looking to keep people happy.”

What was the process for choosing/booking the bands this year at Ibiza Rocks?

Zane Lowe: "We had a wish list, me and Andy [McKay], and it was a case of trying to work out who was available. Andy asked my opinion, I gave him a selection and he contributed some bands which he thought might work. We got about seventy per cent of what we wanted. Most bands don’t need much convincing to come to Ibiza. They’ve just spent the last two years travelling round the world playing the same style venues so then to come to a beautiful island and sit in sunshine and swim and play a gig at three in the morning is dreamboat."

And the djs?

"I chose [Paul] Epworth and Andy chose the rest."

What makes a band suitable for Ibiza?

"Someone with some soul, someone who’s making music that you can shake your arse to. And all those bands can. It’s the first year so it’s early days but ultimately it will work. It’s gonna become a staple part of this island and that’s what we’re looking for."

The Guardian says you’ve been “lauded for helping to restore Radio 1's battered reputation and stabilise falling listening figures”. Was that in the job description?

"No. That’s a compliment but it’s also kind of an insult. It’s a lovely thing for the Guardian to say personally, but obviously being a patriotic BBC employee, I’m not sure they had a “battered reputation”. But I’ll take it."

Whether number two on the Ibiza Rocks bill, Goldfrapp, merit their price tag is a point much mooted by their fans, disappointed by another no show.

Instead we got relative unknowns the Kooks from Brighton, who looked better that the ‘Heads but whose songs were less familiar resultingly in a correspondingly lessened crowd reaction. However their superior styling (see below) is likelihood to see them pull ahead of their compatriots in the long run.

kooks05.jpg

the Kooks @ the Music Box - August 12, 2005

kooks04.jpg

kooks03.jpg

kooks02.jpg

kooks01.jpg

Back