Off the beaten track

stephen

Staff member
The thread where you can suggest places you've been that are not normally given much airtime. We've all been to the big resorts.......but what about the smaller places?
Tell us where you went.

Cor de Jesus.

I imagine everybody has seen this statue from the main road to Ibiza, but has anyone been there?
48222021-9ff2-01800200-.jpg

the views of the surrounding countryside and down to Ibiza are stunning, and there is a small settlement of country houses with cobbled courtyards huddled round the statue
48222023-126d-01CD0200-.jpg

it's worth a trip out there to see it!

As I have lined up a hire car and am determined to get around and see the rest of the island this year, I shall put this on my list Stephen!

San Lorenzo - Balafi

there's a lovely walk from the church at san lorenzo (where there's also a barbecue area - you take the meat - they get the fire going for you - you cook it and then eat it) to Balafi, an old arab settlement.
48222376-8944-01800200-.jpg

48222363-4308-01800200-.jpg

the path takes you past fields full of poppies (at least it does in april)
48222370-3e07-02000180-.jpg

and best of all, just beyond balafi, is juanito's bar (along with a couple of other highly popular restaurants)
35763649-98d3-02000180-.jpg

give it a try!

I love the drive from Portinatx to San Joan for the views over the island - not as exciting as when it was a rutted dirt track but still enjoyable

font des verger.

a lovely well in a torrent (a bit like a small gorge) which is packed full of bamboo canes. it's just off the es cubells road in san jose.

here's the well, which was absolutely gushing with water after all the recent rains
53891633-5563-02000180-.jpg

here are the irrigation channels and water storage areas - the water had actually flooded the area and there was a real life stream flowing along the torrent bed through the bamboo canes

53891636-fc8b-02000180-.jpg

and finally an overview of the torrent itself

53891634-42a8-02000180-.jpg

there is a festival with folk dancing here every august and it is an ideal place for a picnic and is only 10 minutes walk from the village centre.

Last edited by a moderator:
the directions from san jose church are
take the road to es cubells (it's opposite the church, raco verd bar is on the corner). after passing the post office on the right, take the first turning on the left. then just follow the lane downwards and you'll soon see all the canes. it is on one of san jose's cycle routes.

Portixol. Beautiful round bay in the North. Not much flat space for laying around on. Good walk to get there starting from the strange Isla Blanca urbanisation, near to San Miguel. Good walking shoes required and not for the old and infirm!

119628746.jpg

119628755.jpg

Portixol. Beautiful round bay in the North. Not much flat space for laying around on. Good walk to get there starting from the strange Isla Blanca urbanisation, near to San Miguel. Good walking shoes required and not for the old and infirm!

119628746.jpg

119628755.jpg
me and a mate found our way to this place too...absolutely stunning...iv never been so chilled out in all my life...so piecefull... also came across an octopus while swimming

Wow all of these pictures are amazing, makes me want to explore Ibiza next year rather then party like this year!

Wow all of these pictures are amazing, makes me want to explore Ibiza next year rather then party like this year!

Do Both! we went out, got messy, got a few hours sleep and then jumped in a car to the north of the island! Despite going out loads, ui dont think ive ever relaxed or felt as relaxed as i did in ibiza!

In 2010 we went for dinner at a restaurant called Ses Roques at Cala Conta. They just brought out big platters of meat and potatoes, it was amazing! definitely going to venture there again this year.

I literally walked and took the bus from ibiza town dalt vila, to play de's cavallets (sp?).
The beach was deserted!!!
Two couples, the water was cool- not cold..very nice.

But the nice part was that it was the way there.
There was a small castle/look out ...torre de sa sal rossa.
In an around the area , lots of trees, very dry grass...and a lot of narrow paths and narrow private driveways leading to fincas/villas.

This particular place is amazing because is where playa den'bossa ends and where the big bushy forest continues.

Funny sidecomment:
Since there were too many private driveways along the public dirt road, on my way back I got off near one of main dirt roads that cuts through part of the forest, on my way back from des cavallet.
Only to find myself trapped!!!

The hounds had been released for the night!!
All I wanted was to walk along the pitch dark forest...a bit scary mind you. But I would have gotten to the PDB in time for nice afternoon pictures.

The german sheppards were in the way!

Anyways - I just learned that I was in parc natural de ses salines.
Apart from some areas that stink of too much sulfur...salt deposits and humidity I guess...well..this is a nice place.
With lots to hike.

Back