Off Sonar

AR_IBIZA

Just after some info about what Off Sonar is actually like if anyone has been.

I'm aware of the whole concept and that there are various events at different locations over the course of the 5 days, kinda like how BPM and ADE are run. I'm just curious what its actually like and if its worth doing.

I want to go to Barcelona next year anyway but want to know how busy everything is in general, not just the clubs but around the city over Off Sonar.

Looking to go with my girlfriend so would only be looking to attend a couple events anyway as we want to see Barcelona mainly and just not sure if its actually worth it or if it would be better to just go for any old weekend and do a weekend in Ibiza as well.

If anyone has been and can give any info that would be great!!

Going for 2 nights this year and will give a proper review...4-6 parties in 2 days with some sightseeing and eating spattered in there.

My future brother in law and his girlfriend visited last year and had a blast but did say it is very crowded and while they said they would return for Sonar/Off week again they said they wanted to go during a regular week. Have had lots of friends go year after year and rave about the number of parties and quality of the parties similar to ADE. From my booking experience, look to book your accommodations well in advance as things start disappearing quickly and prices jump. Flights were super cheap early on but did rapidly increase closer to the dates.

Going for 2 nights this year and will give a proper review...4-6 parties in 2 days with some sightseeing and eating spattered in there.

My future brother in law and his girlfriend visited last year and had a blast but did say it is very crowded and while they said they would return for Sonar/Off week again they said they wanted to go during a regular week. Have had lots of friends go year after year and rave about the number of parties and quality of the parties similar to ADE. From my booking experience, look to book your accommodations well in advance as things start disappearing quickly and prices jump. Flights were super cheap early on but did rapidly increase closer to the dates.
Thanks, look forward to a proper review then!

That's the only thing which bugs me is how busy the city and everything else will get. I'm doing ADE this year and Timewarp next and definitely want to do Barca its just deciding when and what I want from the trip really.

Ive seen the past few years line ups and it does look very very strong but then I think would I prefer a relaxed trip and do a weekend in Ibiza aswell! Id be going with my girlfriend who isn't into her music as much and wouldn't want to ruin a nice weekend because of how busy everything is!

I was in Barcelona several times, most of the time for Sonar. You don't feel a big difference in the city, also hotels & flights are not much more expensive than in a "normal" week. Go there and enjoy, the parties are amazing!

Looking forward to the review mmintz :) wonder will the beard count be down again for the second successive year...

I was in Barcelona several times, most of the time for Sonar. You don't feel a big difference in the city, also hotels & flights are not much more expensive than in a "normal" week. Go there and enjoy, the parties are amazing!
Sounds good to me! Will give it ago then, think I'll fly out on the Friday or Saturday and have a couple days there when its finished!

Ive seen these already..great look..

really good with some joggers or some pants/shoes with exposed ankles

this guy nails it with the accessories...sunglasses in the grungy warehouse and hat,cigarette...bonus points on the chain wallet

fc778554ac4f554e8c7e3120f9c8828c.jpg

Sounds good to me! Will give it ago then, think I'll fly out on the Friday or Saturday and have a couple days there when its finished!

last year i combined with ibiza. 4 nights barcelona, 4 nights ibiza (very cheap flights ibz <-> bcn) - i also can recommend! :)

last year i combined with ibiza. 4 nights barcelona, 4 nights ibiza (very cheap flights ibz <-> bcn) - i also can recommend! :)
This is what I was thinking of doing if I didn't go over Off Sonar, so its either Off Sonar for 4/5 nights or Barca for 2 nights and then 3 in Ibiza. Got a lot on next year so cant really afford to go mad!

there's always loads of city festival-type lineups in BCN but I tend to avoid these nowadays. anywhere with stages or drinks tokens queues is an automatic no-no for me.

however there are a couple of less-publicised, sweaty club nights that same week which will be really good

Clone @ Moog - 14 June
Origins @ Slow Club - 16 June

Going for a third time this year, and I think similar to Ibiza it's got something for everyone.
For me the main draw over Ibiza, as crazy as it sounds, is the open air parties, which are harder to find in Ibiza nowadays, and during off week you get a lot of them that go on until 1-2AM.

personally I'm never been too keen on the way June is globally marketed as Barcelona's dance music month. I know that the weather's good and a lot of big names all descend on the city at the same time for the various parties and that all obviously makes it sexy but I think it really hurts the small clubs, there are so few left now. and a lot of DJs and bands don't do individual gigs anymore. It's different to Ibiza. It's a city with a city infrastucture - not a holiday resort. I wish more people supported the scene all year round. (Similar argument I guess to the one about record store day)

Sonar the longest running festival though?
I hadn't realised there were so many others now.

It just ticks all the boxes for me, nice weather, cultural raving with outdoor dancing, decent food and even a bit of beach time as well! And I can practice my Spanish too!

It just ticks all the boxes for me, nice weather, cultural raving with outdoor dancing, decent food and even a bit of beach time as well! And I can practice my Spanish too!

well, last year weather was shit, and none of the open air events had prepared for the heavy rain, even though the forecast showed it would rain almost 2 weeks in advance.

well, last year weather was shit, and none of the open air events had prepared for the heavy rain, even though the forecast showed it would rain almost 2 weeks in advance.

Yeah but the heavy rain was only a few hours no? Just the Saturday afternoon for a few hours if I remember? The rest of the weekend was nice!

Sonar started mid-90s and was great to start off with because it was a fresh attempt to bring cutting edge DJs to a music scene drowning in Dr Alban or whatever other kak was top of Los 40 Principales that week - but it suffered because it slowly went corporate and so many other festivals followed and copied the formula. Obviously it's a nice weekend break and many friends have done it over the years (myself included), but I think maybe I'm just a bit over it all. Not wishing to piss on anyone's parade, but there are other options for those who find it all a bit too regimented and lanyard heavy

Yeah but the heavy rain was only a few hours no? Just the Saturday afternoon for a few hours if I remember? The rest of the weekend was nice!
There was also heavy rain on friday night, but in general friday & saturday were a bummer.
I guess it was worse for the Parc del Forum location, as it's close to the sea, and even the winds made the events pretty uncomfortable, with sand flying everywhere, etc.

Back