Notting Hill Carnival

AndyFul

Never been before but have friends who've raved about it for years. Very keen for it this year as not going to SW4 for the first time in a while. I've heard it can get very crowded and there's usually a bit of trouble to watch out for but the variety of soundsystems, atmosphere and price can't be beat!

Anyone got any advice / recommendations or experiences they fancy sharing? Or going this year and know the best place to go for the best time?

Never been before but have friends who've raved about it for years. Very keen for it this year as not going to SW4 for the first time in a while. I've heard it can get very crowded and there's usually a bit of trouble to watch out for but the variety of soundsystems, atmosphere and price can't be beat!

Anyone got any advice / recommendations or experiences they fancy sharing? Or going this year and know the best place to go for the best time?
Hi mate, well worth going to carnival...it's a cheap day, basically the cost of a train fare and some cans from the shop. Maybe some jerk chicken! Everyone is in a great mood as it's free, there are no security checks (if you get my drift) and if it's sunny can be better than any festival. My recommendations are to download the Timeout interactive app whch tells you where things are and toilets etc. Vital. Normally Good Times with Norman Jay would be the go-to soundsystem, but he isn't there this year, so if you like house music I would suggest Disco Hustlers and Pineapple Tribe (they will be on the map). Both quite close to each other so can alternate depending on music etc. The major down-side is the p*ssing situation...it has the fewest toilets to people ratio of any event in the world and if you're drinking beer all day from your take-outs this WILL cause a problem. Guaranteed. Pubs charge to use their toilets and the queues are horrendous...some people sit outside their houses and let you use theirs for a fee...but often only females. It's pot luck risking going down a side street or whatever..the police will be watching. But a lot of people do anyway. Otherwise, it's an awesome day...we stopped going to SW4 as well due to the quiet soundsystems...you don't have the same problem at carnival trust me...they blow you off your feet! Enjoy.

I go every year...i grew up that way and uts brilliant. How many times can you party all day on the streets of London, and its free? Although I've seen odd bits of trouble, its also one of the friendliest events i've been too. Disco Hiustlers is very cheesy but always a good laugh and doesnt get too busy and there are a few other good (though less dance music) soundsystems nearby. KCC is good but can get a bit moody.

Biggest advice...dont get there at 5pm thinking you're arrving early...the music goes off by 7.30 and thats it and the bars/clubs are all ticketed so you basically leave the area.

little tip...if you are at Disco Hustlers, the Tabernacle community centre nearby usually sells wristbands for £2 or £3 that give you access to their terrace, bar and more importantly toilets all day. amazing :)

little tip...if you are at Disco Hustlers, the Tabernacle community centre nearby usually sells wristbands for £2 or £3 that give you access to their terrace, bar and more importantly toilets all day. amazing :)
Legendary advice there mate. Cheers!

the first couple years, no one knew about it so there was no line...now even there you have to wait but not long and they have cleaners, toilet roll...all the luxuries ;) they also sell cocktails and pints of cold lager.

Thanks all, sorry to hear that about Norman Jay, his would have been the one soundsystem I'd have definitely tried to get a look-in at.

Just to clarify, I could turn up with a backpack full of beers, etc. and just drink them all day? Not that I necessarily would but very nice to have the option at an event in zone 2!

You hear reports of trouble / arrests in the news every year but given the numbers of people attending (and free flowing-booze) it actually seems relatively trouble-free.

How about the crowds? I've heard it can be a sardine tin at times which I used to tolerate but ever since Paradise at DC10 last September I'm done with being squashed.

I'm going this year. Gutted no Sancho Panza or NJ!!

What is the best house stage? Mulletover party worth it, quite fancy that?

sundays are usually ok. mondays are when some of the yoof can get a bit lairy with the cops and it can kick off late afternoon onwards at the ladbroke grove end

only way to avoid crowds is by going and leaving really early on both days

toilet situation is always bad - there are some bushes on West Row where we used to go

I have always given up on Good Times as the police close off the wider area when it gets busy and you cant get in or out...painful. I still remember when Sasha played unannounced at Sancho Panza 10 years ago and half the crowd had no idea he was playing.

Yep, you can turn up with as much booze as you can carry and drink with zero stress. Agree on the comments on Sunday too...its a much easier day even though the procession is very small then (ie no costumes...but as this is a clubbing forum, i can presume thats of limited interest). Busy areas: around westbourne park, corner of ladbroke grove and kensal road, Portobello Road. The area around kensal road (other than that one corner) is good to wander around and check out soundsystem, as is the area around Powis sq which is where disco Hustlers is. Dont think the full soundsystem list is out yet to recommend any.

Rinse FM has a soundsystem last year that had a good lineup but was hard to get to.

The actual arrest numbers are relatively low and in line with the normal numbers in london for the number of people. The media hysteria drives me nuts. People can die at T in the Park and no one calls for it to be banned but every year, there is a Daily Mail led outcry about carnival.

After reading this just booked me missus and a few mates return train tickets. Usually cream fields for me but had enough of it to be honest!! Really looking forward to this tho, don't really no what to expect.... Cheers for the info ☺☺

Just get their earlyish...so many friends have trekked across london to go and arrived at 5 or 6 and then it shuts an hour or so later

I'm going this year. Gutted no Sancho Panza or NJ!!

What is the best house stage? Mulletover party worth it, quite fancy that?

Sancho is a great loss. The only bit of carnival ive had a good time at , the rest of it ive just found really stressful. Gona be in Glasgow for the SubClub soundsystem thing and get back sunday eve so wont make carnival this year but if i was I'd def get a ticket for Mulletover or at least one separate party that you can retire too when your legs give up haha

My advice is to head to Notting Hill Gate tube, walk to the Walmer Castle pub for meeting people and getting settled in. Not too packed at all around here especially on Sunday. The Pineapple Tribe soundsystem is here, properly booming, mixture of breakbeat, house, d&b etc.

Following Good Times' demise this was my first time trying a new area last year, I took my new girlfriend who hates crowds and isn't really a massive clubber and she loved it! From here you can walk round the corner to Disco Hustlers..again not too busy, just right...and stay in this general vicinity. There are stalls selling all sorts...vodka jellies, cocktails, you name it...and everyone is in a good mood. It's not that 'urban' round here we found as well, some areas can feel quite intimidating...but from here it's an easy in and out (important at 7pm when the music goes off) and feels just about right.

Having said this, I think rampage is back this year (no-show last year)..and that is a few roads up from Disco Hustlers I think so the whole are could potentially have a different feel altogether. Never been but looking at youtube it looks crazy

Back