nostrum's mid-season report

stivi

Do you remember? One day last summer, when we were discussing the differences between july and august, dr mick said „In July the good parties are packed and the bad ones are quiet while in august even the bad ones are rammed”. So, just before the august mayhem starts, I thought I could give you a mid-season report with some experiences and personal opinions as well!

Amnesia

Monday – Cocoon
The busiest party on the island on a Monday night and now also the busiest night in general at Amnesia! Very popular with the Spanish, Italian, German, British – just popular with everyone! Queues get horrendous by 3am and inside it’s always packed in the main room and as well on the terrace. The lineups are brilliant, guy gerber playing live there on july 30, then james holden is coming back for one date in august, Richie hawtin as well, and you always get guys like Ricardo Villalobos and Loco Dice on the Terrace. And of course don’t forget about Sven Väth who’s playing every date now with the exception of September 17 (Minus labelnight that night). Cocoon has had an enormous evolution in the last few years. I remember buying my tickets for 30€ in 2004 (when it still was a techno heads only event) and now they’re sold for about 45€ and everyone’s going!

Tuesday – Armada (main) / Sophisticated Funk (terrace)
Armin van Buuren is back with his gang and people are loving it. Still the number two trance night at amnesia after cream, but many people I’ve spoken to prefer it nowadays because of three reasons: first, it’s not as packed as cream (but still really busy). Second, cream this year sometimes is quite boshy (when eddie halliwell plays) and not everyone likes it that hard (and also PvD sometimes banging it out quite hard) while armada is a bit softer and sometimes also has more electro-techhouse influences. Third, tickets are about 50% cheaper as for cream…on august 7, Armin is playing a 7hr solo at Armada and guess where I’ll be that night!!!
Sophisticated Funk on the terrace – amnesia’s experiment with r’n’b and reaggeton…not really busy!

Wednesday – Espuma (main) and La Troya presents Space of Sound (terrace)
Haven’t been yet – any reviews on that???

Thursday – Cream
Still the number one trance night in Ibiza, still going strong, still having great lineups (also the terrace looks good this year with Steve Angello, Seb Ingrosso, Axwell etc…) and still successful!

Friday – Made in Italy
Bringing really really good guests this year (Ellen Alien, Danny Howells, James Zabiela and more so far, many more to come!) and really busy. Will soon be Jam-packed when the Ferragosto begins (in august, almost all italy is shut and everyone goes on holiday – Ibiza get ready for gli Azurri!).

Saturday – People from Ibiza
Always busy sabados por la noche en amnesia…doesn’t need further comments, only that many holidaygoers are giving it (shall I say generally Saturday night?) a miss because they’re saving their energy for the Sunday and like this, really missing something? Very popular with the locals and lots of fun!

Sunday – Espuma (main) / Juicy Ibiza (terrace)
The Foam party again in the main room and Robbie Rivera bringing good guests on the terrace (Gabriel & dresden have come, as well as Martjn ten Velden) – I haven’t been there yet though!

Amnesia prices:
Water: 10€!!!
Vodka lemon: don’t know yet!
Stamps: yes, from 5am

Pacha

Monday – Release Yourself with Roger Sanchez
A Classic at Pacha now. Always busy but not as packed as on other nights (read further on). Great music and a nice crowd!

Tuesday – Defected in the House
Had a bit of a slow start this year, but now running very good. If you like your house soulful and deep, then defected’s your choice!

Wednesday – Subliminal Sessions with Erick Morillo
Also for Erick, it took a while until his nights got packed, but now he’s pulling the crowds again. Having good guests as well, it’s still a favourite for many pachagoers!

Thursday – FMIF and Renaissance
FMIF is surely the most crowded night at pacha and like last summer, queues get incredible by 3am. It’s the hype and the glam that attract so many people!
Renaissance is another story. Progressive House and Deep cuts still exist and yes, it is busy as well! Love it!

Friday – Pure Pacha
Pete Tong always has some good guests, but is it just me or were the lineups better in earlier years? Still, I think it’s the second most successful night at pacha just after FMIF!

Saturday – Def Mix
Celebrating their 20 years this year, the Def Mix guys still know how to party!

Sunday – Fetish (classics) and Flower Power (3 more dates this summer)
According to reports, also Sunday night is running good, but I can’t tell because I haven’t been. Flower Power (next one on august 5) always is rammed!

Pacha prices:
Water: 8€
Vodka Lemon: 13€
Stamps: no. maybe they will give out stamps again in September, like they did last season when they had a no-stamps period from end of july until end of august.

Privilege

Monday – Homeclub
One of the few not-underground sounding nights at privilege and nicely busy! And bringing something special this year, they’re having “La Fura Dels Baus” performing in the club, which is a Catalan Theatre Project and very famous all over Spain (I’ve heard on the radio they already performed at the opening ceremony of the Olympic games in Barcelona back in 1992…or was it 1996? 1992 I think.)

Tuesday – Alma
Having very good lineups every Tuesday, Alma should be successful. But until now, I’ve heard it’s not that busy. Maybe they’re suffering from cox’ night? Or because their target group is just exhausted after the dc10 and cocoon combo-session the day and night before? Bit of a pity I think, because they really have wicked lineups! But surely will be getting better now when august starts!

Wednesday – Meganite
Celebrating their 4th Birthday on august 1 this year, Meganite is having a really good year so far. Good atmosphere and even better music. You think it’s only techno? It’s not! Surely, you do get techy beats, but they also play loads of electro-y and tekhousey stuff. Cocoloco is also opened and always very nice! (actually, by now the cocoloco room in privilege is one of my favourite dancefloors)

Thursday – Monza
Got many “wow!”s when their move to privilege was confirmed. Had a really good opening night and then it got a bit quieter before it picked up again now. August and September look very tasty with the likes of Damian Lazarus, MANDY, Ricardo Villalobos, Tobi Neumann and Magda just to name a few.

Friday – Manumission
Doesn’t need further comments! Rammed and an Institution on the Island!

Saturday – Silicon
Javi Munoz’ silicon night only started last summer and by now, its already a strong competitor against PFI at Amnesia and DefMix at Pacha! Worth going!

Sunday – Slutfunk
Another “underground” night at privilege with some good guests playing (luciano and Tania vulcano already played, more like those on the lineup), but competiting against we love is not that easy…

Privilege prices:
Water 6€
Vodka Lemon 12€
Stamps: yes, from 5-ish (but not on Manumission I think)

Space

Monday – Closed

Tuesday day – Diabolika

Haven’t been to this one yet, but I’ve heard good things about it! Quite a lot of people seem to be going there after Cocoon on Monday night (especially when there’s no afterhours or people don’t find it)

Tuesday night – Carl Cox
Just the first two Chapters have passed this year and yet, it’s surely the strongest party on the island on a Tuesday night! Cox pulls the crowds and his guests are amazing! His birthday party on july 31st with Digweed, Derrick May one week later (and Adam Freeland for the Breaks lovers), then my personal favourite Michel de Hey and so on…(with FatBoySlim and Laurent Garnier in September) actually, there is hardly any of these 9 Tuesdays that anyone can afford to miss…imo.

Wednesday day – In Bed with Space vs. Twisted
IBWS joining forces with twisted this year and it’s good fun like always!

Wednesday night – La Troya
Another very strong night at space. Loads of fun for girls and boys and good music. Still there’s voices around saying that it was better when it was back at amnesia (which I can’t comment because I haven’t been when it still was there).

Thursday day – FAKE
Many people just staying at space after la troya the night before and also many people floating in from other parties that just ended!

Thursday night – xtravaganza (discoteca) and Spinclub (main terrace)
When I was there, xtravaganza was quite quiet (might have changed now though!), but spinclub was brilliant! If you like techy, minimal and sometimes deep beats, then go there once. Monika kruse coming in august, as well as Joris Voorn (live) and of course, Chris Liebing who’s playing every date!

Friday day – cassagrande
Haven’t been there yet and neither heard any positive or negative comments until now – who can tell us something about it???

Friday night – La Comunidad (discoteca) vs. Azuli (main terrace) vs. Kompakt (Redbox)
La Comunidad definitely IS a favourite with the locals (and Spanish in general), we’ve had this forum discussion a few months ago and la Com definitely deserves still to be at space on a Friday night. They also have very good guests playing this year (Axel Bartsch and Dominik Eulberg are just two of the many names). Azuli also had a good start and it’s always busy!

Saturday day – Matinée (discoteca and BOTH terraces)
Yeah well, everyone on here knows I am a matinée lover so I think I don’t have to write a lot about it. Always VERY busy, always LOADS of fun, beautiful people and an amazing atmosphere. What more can you expect of a party?

Saturday night – Gorgeous
Haven’t been – any info from other members?

Sunday day & night – We Love…
The biggest one, the busiest one and maybe also the best one? Who knows…they’ve played it safe during june and the first weeks of july, but now they’re bringing the big guns…miss kittin had her first appearance last Sunday as well as steve lawler and from now on, the lineups are really really tasty for every Sunday!

Space prices:
Water: 7€
Vodka lemon: 13€
Stamps: no. But for “we Love” on Sunday, you still get a wristband (for one pass-out) if you arrive before 6pm.

El Divino – Es Paradis – Eden
Sorry guys, haven’t been there lately, so can’t comment!

What else…ah yes, here’s some more:

Circoloco @ Dc10, Mondays
Packed ever since the re-opening on june 25. I’ll say it again – go really early and enjoy the afternoon vibe before it gets rammed! Still the cheapest (and strongest?) drinks – a really punchy vodka lemon for a tenner!

Bora Bora
Playa d’en Bossa’s free beach party is back. Still (appartently due to politics), the dj plays inside and so cannot see how the crowd reacts on the outside bit (which must be reeeeally annoying for a dj I think) and still, no dancing on the tables allowed. So yes, it’s back but many people tell me it’s not the same. Go have a look yourselves and then judge!

Ibiza Rocks @ Bar M, (mostly) Tuesdays
I must confess I am not that much into the rock stuff, but this seems to be a huge success again, Kasabian had a double appearance last week for example!

The Zoo / Gala Night
The old Zoo in Benimussa (few minutes out of San Antonio) gets some animals again…party tigers and birds! Summadaze is on every Thursday (from 2pm till midnight I think) and The Zoo Project (see other Gala night thread for info) is on every Saturday from 4pm till medianoche. Great location, funny parties – really something different and worth going imo!

Secret / beach / villa / fullmoon Parties
Mulletovers first (villa) party in June was great (ask Morbyd about it, I couldn’t go) and they’re coming back this Saturday! Nude (who’s doing some afterparties at Prestige) has a beachparty programmed on august 4, let’s see about it. Fullmoon parties are happening for example at Las Dalias and at KM5 and there’s always some beachparties around fullmoon nights…just ask around! Villa-Parties – many of them get stopped by the police due to noise complaints by neighbours.

good stuff nostrum - useful to know that everythings fine and dandy on the island!

Anyone reckon that privilege will get another refurb in time for next season? They're having a very successful season indeed...

Just a couple of Pacha questions...

Does the restaurant still allow for direct entry into the club? How far in advance would you recommend booking?

Which night has the best party atmosphere, Release Yourself or Defected? I'm torn between these two.... The Defected sound is more my thing but i'm put off by the 'slow start' and Ibiza Rocks being in the global room.

Just a couple of Pacha questions...

Does the restaurant still allow for direct entry into the club? How far in advance would you recommend booking?

Which night has the best party atmosphere, Release Yourself or Defected? I'm torn between these two.... The Defected sound is more my thing but i'm put off by the 'slow start' and Ibiza Rocks being in the global room.

restaurant: yes i think this still works. book now if you already know the exact date...

hm. if you like the defected sound, then go! by now the party's reall busy, only back in june it wasn't packed. and you won't feel anything from the IB rocks afterparty in the global room when you're dancing the night away in the main room, don't worry.

very good information,
especially whats going on in space when (day/night) .

ps:
but next time better don´t mention an "old zoo" when talking about gala night,
because otherwise maybe mcrackin gets very angry :)

...The Zoo / Gala Night
The old Zoo in Benimussa ... gets some animals again…

"...
also known by some people who clearly dont know **** as the abandoned zoo (i have been going there since i was a baby and a: it has never been a proper zoo, b: it has never been abandoned ! ! )..... but hey, i suppose it sounds cooler saying we are throwing a party in an abandoned zoo in the hills than saying we have rented a restaurant with huge gardens, pools, etc!!
..."

http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=45395

Hey Stivi. Good to hear from you, mate.
Armin van Buuren is back with his gang and people are loving it.
I saw a few minutes of Armin last weekend in St. Pete, got bored quickly, and wandered off to the techno room. Not sure what people see in him, though it takes a special mood for me to deal with trance.

Renaissance is another story. Progressive House and Deep cuts still exist and yes, it is busy as well! Love it!
The more I look back, the more I realized I really really loved this night at Pacha. Definietly should be on anyone's party list. Hernan Cattaneo just keeps getting better and better.

Wednesday night – La Troya
Another very strong night at space. Loads of fun for girls and boys and good music. Still there’s voices around saying that it was better when it was back at amnesia
I'm with this crowd on the Amnesia v Space debate. Skipped it this year.

Sunday day & night – We Love…
The biggest one, the busiest one and maybe also the best one? Who knows…they’ve played it safe during june and the first weeks of july, but now they’re bringing the big guns
:evil: :evil:

Mulletovers first (villa) party in June was great (ask Morbyd about it, I couldn’t go) and they’re coming back this Saturday! Nude (who’s doing some afterparties at Prestige)
I just got a text about the next Mulletover party with Smokin' Jo. Wish I were there!

The last one wasn't too busy in the early afternoon and didn't fill up until late but it was still really a lot of fun and great people all over the place. PM me if you want to go and I'll give you the number for the location (though I think it's on their website. That's not directed at you, nostrum... I'm sure you're already set ;)

Random comments...

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reviews! i seem to be in a bind when i arrive (sep11). i definitely want to go to armada...been getting back into trance and the genre seems to have been getting better as of late. however, defected and carl cox both seem like they'd also be great. maybe i can do two of them...but probably not all three, huh?

being from chicago, i love house. definitely prefer it in the club, but progressive house or trance when listening on headphones. hmm, what to do!! don't see anything too spectacular for weds or thurs...guess i'll play those two nights by ear.

also, what does "boshy" mean?

thanks for all the info stivi - you're a valuable source of info! :p

see you in 1 week on the island! 8)

restaurant: yes i think this still works. book now if you already know the exact date...

hm. if you like the defected sound, then go! by now the party's reall busy, only back in june it wasn't packed. and you won't feel anything from the IB rocks afterparty in the global room when you're dancing the night away in the main room, don't worry.

Defected was absolutely rammed when I was there in June, have never seen Pacha busier!

Defected was absolutely rammed when I was there in June, have never seen Pacha busier!
I'm guessing this will be fairly busy?

Aug 28th
Joey Negro
Dennis Ferrer

I'm still at odds with myself of either this or Release Yourself. The Ibiza Rocks party in the global room is a bit of a downer as my GF likes R&B which is in there on the monday.

Personally i would prefer to go for defected. and Shovell can keep an entire dancefloor moving with his bare hands! :lol: :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reviews. I'm going out there August 13-23 ( first time in peak peak season) and looking forward to it...

What time have you been arriving at the clubs as you say the queues are massive by 3:00 am?

You going to be at Cocoon, DC10 and Carl Cox August 13, 14 and August 20 and 21?

Back