nostrum's back on the island of dreams - closing parties 2010

stivi

Intro - One year without ibiza

(If you just want to read my review from this years hols, then scroll down and skip the first bit, this is not really about ibiza, but it still has a connection to it)

As most of readers on here will know, I have been going to ibiza for a few years already. I fell in love with the island at first sight back in 2004 and ever since, I always visited the island at least twice, if not three times a year. And then in 2007 and 2008 I did two seasons there – most definitely the summers of my life! Then last year, I got back to the routine to travel to ibiza on various occasions. But at the end of summer 2009, before I flew down for the closings, I already knew I would take a break after that. not because I was fed up with ibiza, not at all, but just for the simple reason that during the last 5 years I had spent almost all my hols in ibiza and I suddenly realised there's still a lot more of this world I wanna see. So the only reason I didn't go to ibiza earlier this year is the fact I wanted to have some time on my hands to travel to other destinations. On one hand this was great, I really saw a lot of beautiful places during the last 12 months (read on!), but on the other hand I felt like I'd just withhold myself of going to the place I love most…strange isn't it? And also knowing I wouldn't see some close friends for much longer than i usually do was quite hard. But I have to admit that, looking back at the past 12 months, I was a lucky bastard because I got to see a lot and still had a brilliant time – in ibiza and elsewhere!

Some of you surely have noticed I didn't post as much on here as I did before. This was due to various reasons: first of all, work. Second: travelling! And third: I just wasn't on spot anymore. I did let go a bit of ibiza (maybe to survive here back home? J) and so also let go a tiny bit of spotlight. I still was and am reading on here everyday and I still post, but I know it's no comparison to when I was working down there! But that's not really important, isn't it? Now you'll get the trademark nostrum-esque review and as a bonus, even before we really start, I'll tell you about my travels I did this year. I'm sure you'll know a lot of these places or have even visited some of them, but maybe you also think about travelling to other places than ibiza in the future and so here's my travel guide… (and again, just scroll down if you're not interested!) J

December 2009 – Maldives
Just before the winter really kicked in here in Switzerland, I took a flight down to Maldives islands. I had been there before various times already, so the islands were no news to me. This year though, I went for one simple reason: to finally get my scuba diving license! And boy, I do regret it a lot only having started doing scuba diving now. The marine world is such a wonderful place and so peaceful. No noise at all, and you're feeling like being in a big zoo. So I did my open water diver course there and chilled a lot as well and soaked up the sun. Just what the doctor had ordered before a long and heavy winter in the mountains…

New year 2010 – Morocco / Marrakech
A last minute booked trip to Marrakech, a city I always wanted to see. Lovely and exhausting at the same time! loved all the souks and Jemaa-el-fna (the huge square) and the restaurants and mint tea and arab shoes (I do remember Barbie here!) No clubbing done at all – gave pacha Marrakech a miss because we just weren't in the mood to have a boogie.

Winter 2009-2010 – Switzerland (Snowsports!)
Skiing or snowboarding anyone? Well, to be honest, the only nice thing about living in Switzerland (in winter!) is the fact you're able to hit the slopes within one hour from most cities! Great! So whenever I had some spare time, I was skiing and enjoying the snowy mountains. So if anyone ever needs a hint for a Swiss skiing resort, just PM me, I really know myself around.

March 2010 – Timewarp Mannheim
Not really travelling, but even the nicer to have a great GREAT party after half a year's party break during winter! TW is a “must-do” – really liked it a lot!

April 2010 – Africa!
Right, I had been to some of the northern African countries before (Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt) and also had been to some of the countries in the Middle East (UAE and Oman), but so far, I hadn't been to the “real” Africa. This changed in april this year when I travelled down and visited Mozambique, Zambia and Malawi. What an absolutely great and impressive trip this was! Safaris in Zambia (in the South Luangwa National Park), chilling at Lake Malawi (including scuba diving – wohoo!) and generally soaking up a life that's just SO different of almost everything “we” are used to. By saying “we” I might be generalising a bit, but let me just say I'm speaking about the western world. It was really a trip I'll never forget and I'm more than sure I'll return to Africa sooner or later. There's still many spots on that continent I haven't seen yet and which I'm keen on seeing (such as South Africa as well as Tanzania for example).

Summer 2010 – Switzerland again (outdoor activities and parties!)
Now summer in Switzerland is a completely different story than Winter. Even though I love skiing and snowboarding, I generally hate our winters. But I adore our summers. Everything's so (fukcing) green (anyone got it? J), we're swimming in the lakes and the rivers, camping, BBQ's and so on. I did a bit of windsurfing, was down in the Italian part of switzerland twice (Ticino – magnificient) and also enjoyed some really great parties. first off, there's the streetparade weekend in Zurich in August. Even though we had a bit of bad luck with the weather this year, it still was the highlight of the summer again here. And I think i broke my own record in terms of extended dancing sessions…It was just bloody marvellous! Second, we're having a few really nice outdoor parties here in our lovely small country. A lot of them are in the goa/psytrance sector. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of psy trance (although I do like the prog sound they also play lots at these fiestas), but the scene is really lively here and they always find stunning locations in the mountains for their parties! great work guys, keep them coming! So even without ibiza, I did have my fair share of parties in summer J

August 2010 – Mykonos and Santorini
A one week trip took us to both Mykonos and Santorini. We were based in a great hotel in Mykonos, nice and quiet and quite far from all the party beaches. But hey, Mykonos is even smaller than ibiza. So you just rent a scooter or an ATV and you're set. That's what we did and so we explored all of Mykonos. The beaches are OK generally, the sand's a bit rough sometimes, but the water's always crystal clear. The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that most of the beaches (except panormos, our favourite!) were just too crowded with sunbeds and umbrellas. It made the beaches look a bit ugly IMHO. Then, speaking about those famous party beaches (paranga, paradise and super paradise beaches), they are also OK – but not more than that. the main differences to ibiza are the following two: first off, the beach bars there (which basically are really nice!) play a lot of really, really commercial stuff. And second: the peeps there love it! Well, it's just not “ibiza people” in Mykonos. They are not the clubber type of tourist, more like the normal young tourists who like to party a bit and don't really mind who's playing and what exactly is played. Cavo Paradiso is a must see though when you hit Mykonos. It's really one of the most beautiful clubs I've ever seen. I mean, maybe not the club itself, but the location is simply amazing! THIS is exactly what's missing in ibiza nowadays – an open-air club overlooking the sea and you dance into the sunrise – great. They could (err, should!) improve their sound system though. They have a great lineup from mid-july to the last week of August, one really big DJ every night (so you get Sven Väth on one night, then Carl Cox the next and after him AvB). When we were there, Tony Humphries just came from Ibiza and looked a bit worn out after his appearance at the DC10-anniversary fiesta J it was great fun still! The only thing you have to keep in mind when you hit Cavo Paradiso: you won't find the ibiza clubber type there neither! Again, more the “normal” tourists who go out and try out CP once or twice during their holiday. And, especially in August, there are a lot of Italians, same as in Ibiza.
The most beautiful place in Mykonos is Chora – Mykonos Town – with no doubt at all. Go and see it for yourself. That town alone is worth a visit to Mykonos!
Then we took a ferry and hopped over to Santorini (around 2.5hrs with the fast catamaran ferry). Wow. Breathtaking! Make sure you hit a sunset from Oia (the northernmost point of the island) and then have dinner there. It's such a picturesque place, it's incredible. Oia in Santorini and Mykonos Town alone are worth the whole trip. Also Fira, the main city of Santorini is really nice and I was surprised to see they're also having some nightlife there! So if you're planning to see these places, my advise would be to take one full week and spend 4-5 days in Mykonos and 2-3 in Santorini. And oh, before I forget – you can also do scuba diving in Mykonos!

September 2010 – Dutch Antilles / ABC Islands
Another week on the road. This time I flew with some peeps of the travel trade to the dutch Antilles and had a look around. First we spent some days in Aruba. A small island with a very, very nice and long sandy beach. And some great marine life! Else, far too “American” for my taste. I mean you step out of the hotels and see McD, BK, TGIF, Hooters, you name it… also, most of the hotels are not really beautiful IMHO, they're just too big and I didn't like their style neither. There's one exception and this is the bucuti beach resort. Go there, get spoilt and enjoy!
After Aruba, we flew to Curacao (we didn't have time for Bonaire which ist the 3rd island of the trio) and yup, that was much more up my street. Curacao had a much more local, Caribbean touch, mixed with the obvious Dutch influences. The beaches might not be as shiny and big, but the people are really lovely and nice, the marine sealife is incredible (yes guys, scuba diving again). So Curacao definitely won over Aruba on that trip.

Well I hope I didn't bore you to tears until now.

So after all that travelling I had done and the really great summer I had had, there was just one piece of the puzzle missing to make it a perfect summer. Of course it's the return to ibiza I am talking about. Would the island still amaze me as it always did? Would the two weeks fulfil my (high) expectations? Read on and you'll find out…

Nostrum's return to Ibiza, September 25 – October 10 2010

Saturday 25/9- finally back!

i arrived at about 8:30pm after a quiet flight from switzerland and took a cab to playa d'en bossa. big hello with my gf jessica there, then we hopped into our car and drove up to san lorenzo, where we had a table reservation at our fave countryside restaurant, balafia. we enjoyed the simple, but super tasty parrillada mixta de carne together with their trademark fries and tomato salad. aaah how good is it to be back!
after dinner, we went to aura for a quick hierbas (aaah! Again) and then home and to bed! (aah…you know J)

Sunday 26/9 - getting into the ibiza vibe

We had a late bf at passion and then enjoyed the beach in Playa d'en Bossa with friends, we chilled in front of Nassau. Later we drove into ibiza town for a walk and had an early dinner at tentazione. their pasta dishes are incredible!!!!
then we went to space for a bit for we love closing, where we met grego, morbdy & irina. Funkagenda was playing on the sunset terrace; his set was solid but nothing to write home about IMHO – I'm sure he's had better sessions than this one because everyone always raves on about him! Then we got a bit of James zabiela inside the discoteca who had the floor rocking!!! Onwards then to the main terrace 4 a bit of martin buttrich and to el salon 4 a drink and a chat with friends. i love el salon!
it was really nice to see we love in full swing again after one year, but i have to say i wasn't too overwhelmed with the music and the vibe in general that night…
At around 2am we left space and drove to pacha for cadenza. in a way i didn't expect it to be extremely busy, but i was proven absolutely wrong - pacha was absolutely packed and rocking!!! First, michel cleis played in the main room and then mendo, and from 4:15am onwards it finally was luciano on the decks. the music was too upbeat for me in a way and at the same time had very little variation. I don't know if it's just me, but Luciano plays a lot different now than before…?

Monday 27/9 - marathon day 1

We had to get up early because we needed to do some stuff in ibz town, incl a bit of shopping. Then we had a siesta in the afternoon (we hadn't slept a lot after pacha the night before) followed by an early snack-dinner before we went to dc10!
We arrived there short before 8pm and got the rest of cassy's set (really mellow, but nice), then seth troxler. discovery of the night was dj w!ld though, who played inside - oh my god!!!
dc10 was rocking everywhere, had a great vibe, great people and great music. I just love that place. Then we had a short break after dc10 and just before we drove to amnesia for cocoon closing. we only arrived there at 3am and, as you can imagine, both floors were rammed. we were in the terrace first (villalobos, raresh, zip) and then went onto the main floor (sven väth playing, loco dice's set was already over). the music on both floors was okay during the night, but without any highlights really. when morning came things unfortunately got worse. the music on the terrace got rrreeeeeeaaaaallllyyyyy experimental and we just DID NOT like it AT ALL! urgh. the terrace was still buzzing with people, all ready for a great daytime sesh on the terrace. but ricardo, raresh and zip did their very utmost to destroy everyone's imagination. these words may sound hard now, but i honestly can't find any good thing in trying to persuade people with avantguarde electronic music (which sometimes was barely danceable!), when 99% of the crowd just want good (underground) dance music and have fun. we still withstood the rush to leave, in hope of better sounds, but finally left amnesia at around 10:30am, even before everything came to an end and our last hopes were killed when papa sven took over on the terrace and kept playing pretty much the same sh!t the guys before did. hugely disappointed by the worst ever cocoon closing attended, we got ourselves back home. side note to the music during the night: it was good solid tech and deep house mostly all night. here i must add that, due to my ibz absence, i hadn't been absolutely up to date with the latest tracks & hits and so i probably couldn't appreciate it all. fair play. But the morning hours from about 7 to 10:30am really destroyed it all L

Tuesday 28/9 - we love afterparties!

a hot shower helped to wash the frustration from cocoon closing away. mea culpa, thou shalt never have too high expectations in a party beforehand. then we chilled for a few hours, including sleeping for maybe an hour and having late lunch. Then (mid-afternoon), we walked over to ushuaia for the cocoon closing afterparty and this is where the cocoon guys regained their respect. sven played from the moment we arrived until the minute we left and yes, dear readers, mr väth played a lot of great music in general including some all-time favourites like knights of the jaguar, disco rout and the lesser known, but equally brilliant pan-african electro dub by timbuktu. and all this at a great beach bar, directly on the beach, perfectly made for afterhours (or daytime parties, whichever u like) in the sun!

71913_453627309661_675464661_5229330_1082549_n.jpg

sven in top form :)

so we left short before midnight, happy having experienced such a nice last part of cocoon ibiza 2010, just in time to get a late bite in pdb.
the day wasn't gone yet though. in amnesia, we were given wristbands for both the cocoon closing afterparty and also, a private villa party in the san rafael area which began on midnight on tuesday and was planned to go on for 24hrs until wednesday midnight. so we decided to check this out with our last energy left. we drove to the san rafael hippodrome, from where there was a shuttle bus service up to the villa. the villa was nothing luxurious, more a casa de campo, but it was in a nice location on top of a hill with nice views up until san antonio. the fiesta was just getting busy and the music was really good (clint lee was playing at that point). we had some drinks and hung around for a while. when i spoke to one of the guys that threw the party, he told me they were going to move the sound system outside, once dawn breaks, and then continue round the pool, which sounded nice. for now, the dance floor was just a smallish room in the house. our energy level slowly reached zero and so we left at around 5am.

quite a session so far in little time: we love, cadenza, dc10, cocoon, ushuaia and the villa party... time to recover!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wednesday 29/9 - let's chill

we got up around noontime, had breakfast and dragged ourselves to Salinas, where we spent the afternoon at our beloved sa trinxa. bliss.
back to pdb in the evening. we noticed we still had absolutely no energy to go far. so we just went for a very mediocre pizza at ciao ciao in pdb (second time i went, second time not convincing...not going back there!) and then we were in bed by midnight. goodbye plans to hit space for kehakuma closing (with a stellar line up!) or privilege for cigarra under with luciano as special guest...our bodies needed rest!!

Thursday 30/9 - on tour

we had to get up early again (8:30am! Ouch!) and had to get stuff done in town again. after that, we had a really nice breakfast at cafe sidney in marina botafoch.
then we drove to es cavallet where we chilled all afternoon and ate a delicious rosellat (a type of paella, but with thin noodles instead of rice, and no, this one is not called fideua) at la escollera. they're also having super comfy lounge beds for an after-lunch-siesta when you're stuffed...lovely!

then we decided it's time for some music so we drove to ushuaia where the kehakuma afterparty had just begun. It was still a bit quiet, so we went home for a shower and then (at around 8:30pm) drove to novum for their closing party. also there, we were early and it was still quiet. but it was good to go and see this place. it's really nice, but honestly i very much preferred it before, when it was just el pato and ars vivendi. two absolutely great restaurants. but as it seems, nowadays everything has to be all "lounge" to be cool. don't get me wrong, i do like lounges, but i simply love all the classic and (i dare say) old-fashioned rustic ibiza restaurants and my heart bled when i heard that el pato is no more…

anyway, we decided to go back to ushuaia for another bit and now the place was busy. not packed, but with a great vibe and with nick curly, radioslave and especially guy gerber on the decks, you can't go wrong!!

stayed there and then drove into ibz- town for the closing dinner of our beloved tentazione up in dalt vila. just a bunch of close friends, some good antipasti and pasta and toasting the end of the season for francesco & crew. all the best for 2011, tentazione will be back from may onwards!!

last part of a very long thursday was paying a rather short visit to monza closing at le masque/kiss/whateveryouwannacallit. we arrived there some time past 2am and the queue was impressive. once inside, all 3 floors where open and two of them were really busy (one packed, to be more exact). the music was really good and the party was really going off! i was quite tired after such a long day though and so, i didn't last long that night. people told me it went on till 7:30am and that it stayed very busy until close and that it was great!

Friday 1/10 - i need some time off!

october's here!!! and i had a day off of everyone, also because jessie was out in mallorca for a day. i slept until noon, had breakfast and then drove to cala conta (too busy even now!) and then to cala bassa to enjoy that glorious day of sunshine on the beach!

later i drove to cala yogi which was crowded like i had never seen it before. still it's one of ibiza's most beautiful places and i soaked up all there is for a while. my stomach told me i should eat something so i continued to can tixedo, my favourite tapas spot on the island, where i had the most delicious tapas, as always when eating there.

sun had already set so i drove back to pdb for a shower and then chilled a bit at home until i could drive to the airport and catch my lovely gf who had just come in again. we happily went to bed early that night.

Saturday 2/10 - northern delights

again, we only got up at 12 noon. nice, that's what holidays are for! then off to i-town for a bit of shopping and onwards to san lorenzo for lunch at la paloma (their focaccias are delicious!!). after that, we drove to benirras where we spent the afternoon in the sun and on the beach. for the sunset, we drove to kumharas, a place i hadn't been to in a long time and which is still worth a visit. we had a lovely sangria de cava there and then drove the short distance to can pujol in port d'es torrent. There, we had a great great dinner: espardeñas for starters (a type of seafood) and then “aipebre” as main course, which is a guisado de pescado (fish stew with potatoes) but with a spicy salsa. wow, what a dinner! then back home to bed early ‘cause we knew what would follow...

Sunday 3/10 - day x

the day had come.
after a year of waiting since last season's amnesia closing, the day had finally come again. as per usual on this very special day, our alarm clocks woke us up very early. we had a shower and then met up with the gang at hostal del parque in town for a pre-clubbing breakfast, before we drove to san Rafael for the amnesia closing party!
We were in by 8:30am and noticed it was absolutely packed, packed, packed. Mar-T was on the decks on the terrace and played a really good set till around 10am. Loco Dice then took over until 12noon. After him, Marco Carola played his slot until 2pm. Both Dice and Marco played absolutely brilliant sets, an amazing blend of Tech House and Techno music and during these for hours (10am-2pm), the energy on Amnesia terrace was the same as last year. It was just mindblowing! With the exception of the fact that it was just too busy. I really am used to packed dancefloors and it takes a lot until I say it was too busy, but I'm honest now – probably grego and I did a bit too much of advertising for that party this year. I'll keep shut about this now and hope it will be just a tad less busier next year!
At 2pm, richie hawtin came on and played till close...which was a bit later than 4:30pm! one of his last tunes was octave one - blackwater, but else, not a lot of classics and pure hawtin techno with his trademark knob-twiddling…which I'm not the biggest fan of. I must say, in general, i liked amnesia closing more last year. BUT, the vibe on that terrace on the closing day is still absolutely unique and unbeatable! The people, the music, the energy…on a buzzing terrace…rough pure clubbing.

33898_453626069661_675464661_5229296_7917303_n.jpg

the world's best dancefloor, busy busy busy!

we went back to ours for a shower etc. and then made our way to Ushuaia for its closing party, where we arrived at about 6:30pm. dice and carola were already on the decks again, but it was still a bit quiet in a way. so we walked over to space and briefly checked out their closing party. we were there between around 7:30pm and 9:00pm. the car park was busy (and tiefschwarz were playing), but else, space was not busy at all!!! i mean, the sunset terrace at that point was not really busy and the discoteca and the main terrace both were simply EMPTY!! wow! we left space again and went back to ushuaia, were things were much better now! the place was really busy (but still bearable), dice & carola playing great music and the vibe at ushuaia was just perfect. dancing barefoot in the sand on a warm evening...shall anyone say there are no beachparties in ibiza! just hit the closings dude! we really enjoyed this session in every bit apart of the fact that my gf's mobile phone got nicked right off her bag! :-( and we heard there were more phones etc stolen that night there (especially iphones!), so...not nice! but anyway, it didn't spoil the night and we stayed there till close which i think was around 2am.

after that, our energy levels were on zero so we went back to ours. we gave space a miss (well we've been there for a while at least), we gave the blue marlin closing party a miss as well (behrouz playing and apparently it was really good) and also said nope to the cadenza closing party at pacha, which, according to repots, was superb with luciano and carl craig going b2b until 9:30am!!! can anyone of you remember a party at pacha that went on that late? wow!
we fell asleep at around 5am.

Monday 4/10 - an institution for good music...

we got up at around 1pm and went for something between breakfast and lunch nearby. then we had to take care of my gf's mobile number as her mobile had got stolen the night before. after that, we turned back to the funnier side of life and walked over to la plage, where the cadenza afterparty was held. really nice, not too crowded and i think dani casarano was playing at that point (not sure about that). we used it as a nice little warmup on the beach and then we went to get changed and drove to dc10, where we got in short before 7pm. we enjoyed the first two hours in the garden, with the daylight that was left. really nice and not packed yed. but that changed soon and then all 3 floors were rammed to the rafters. on the terrace we got a bit of ellen alien (yeah!) and later also ricardo villalobos (who played a decent set this time, couldn't believe it!) and in between we also caught tania vulcano who played in the garden. it was a classic dc10 closing, the venue was filled to capacity, some fancy dresses (including some strange dc10 police), many known faces around and generally just very, very good music. this is what dc10 is for me: an institution for good music.

66366_453626219661_675464661_5229303_5105772_n.jpg

72588_453626294661_675464661_5229307_6643346_n.jpg

dc10 faces :)

our friends started to leave some time past midnight, but we stayed on and enjoyed the night, even though it really was ridiculously busy during the night. we almost went home at around 4am, but went inside after a break in the (now quiet) outdoor garden. Best decision ever, we got donna summer's "i feel love" in the inside room (hell yeah, that was great!) and then made our way out to the terrace, where matthias tanzmann had just taken over and delivered an absolute stormer of a set. and it was then, between 5am and 7am, when all good things came together again: it was finally a bit less busy again (let's just say it was perfectly busy now), there was an absolutely great end-of-the-night-vibe with matthias tanzmann at his best. even at that late hour there were some dc10 trademark sitdowns and the vibe was incredible. These two hours were the best of ibiza 2010 for me. So, this time, enduring until the end, was well worth it! you know, I had been thinking about this in ibiza and realised that, for me, it's always the last set of the night (or the party) that makes the difference. a party can be good and if the last few hours are amazing, the memories of it will be wonderful. Although, if the last hours are bad, i always leave with a bit of a bitter feeling...this is just my opinion about it. So, after both cocoon and amnesia closing both ended in a rather underwhelming way (IMHO!!!), i was really happy to have a great last couple of hours at dc10.

Then we went home, had a shower and breakfast, enjoyed the morning sun for a while and eventually fell asleep at around 10am…

Tuesday 5/10 - and the beat goes on...

We woke up at around 4pm, had breakfast again and soon after, we found ourselves already dancing again at sands, where the circoloco afterparty took place. the music was a bit up and down and i personally was really worn out after all the fiestas (we didn't think we'd stay at dc10 for 12 hours straight) and basically, i neither was in a party mood, but you know how it goes here...you meet up with half the island again and you think you'll stay for a while and before you know it, it's already midnight again and the last tune ends...i had a huge moment when they played jaydee - plastic dreams there I have to confess though. after that, we walked over to granja dunes, had a small dinner there and then off to bed!

Wednesday 6/10 quiet please!

We woke up at 11am, crawled out of bed and felt halfway alive after a cup of coffee and a tostada con tomate, queso y jamon. off to I-town then to get some stuff done (ladies ALWAYS have to get some stuff done it seems... ;-))

after that, we drove to cala d'hort, where the whole group (including McRackin, good to finally see you again tio!) met up. after ten days on the island we finally got to see beautiful es vedra again and finally had a delicious paella again at restaurante el carmen. pure bliss!!! and the icing on the cake was the cafe caleta we had afterwards (only that they're calling it cafe cala d'hort there) and the siesta we had on the beach, everybody with full stomachs lying there like dead flies :)

also, until that day, the weather had been absolutely perfect! sun, hot during the days and not too cool during the nights. i have seen much worse in ibiza during september and october!!

when sun had set, we left cala d'hort and drove back home. later we met up again in figueretas, where friends of friends had opened “hostal giramundo” this season and today they had a nice little end-of-season-party in their vegetarian restaurant, so we went for some nice red wine and some nice free slices of pizza. it's incredible, on the day after dc10-closing, all tourists leave again and after that, it's all local again!
home early and in bed by 1am.

Thursday 7/10 - bad weather? not really!

I first woke up at around 9:30am, saw it's all cloudy and still felt dead tired so went back to bed until 1pm. then i felt better and sun had come back as well (in parts at least). after a shower, life slowly came back into my body and so we left home and drove to sol d'en serra. my gf wanted to have lunch at amante, in fact i was also keen to eat there again as i hadn't been there (apart of the azuli beach party two years ago) for a long time, but unfortunately amante was closed that day (only open fri-sat-sun in october). so we drove back south and went to my alltime favourite beach shack instead, everybody (aka the fish shack) in talamanca. there we had a lovely lunch; an absolutely delicious dorada for me and an equally good lubiña for jessica, both accompaigned with potato and lettuce salad as usual, sided with some white wine. a superb flao as dessert, washed down with cafe caleta - eating is sooooooo great there!!! and really, really cheap for ibiza standards!

instead of a siesta afterwards, we had a nice walk all along talamanca bay until bar flotante and back again in the lovely afternoon sun. we were discussing about the super minimalistic new houses they're finishing just next to sa punta (i hate them - jessie loves them...) and walking was a good thing after such a lunch!

then we drove into town, bought some groceries amd then back home to pdb, where we got changed and then off again northbound to atzaró! we went there for their rewind after tea opening party and arrived short before 9pm. it was not a party where ppl would dance their socks off, more sort of a cocktail party where people meet up and have a drink. for once, we didn't know anyone there (something that barely ever happens!), but still we had a couple of red wines and some tasty brochetas and enjoyed the warm evening on one of their beds.

Later, we drove to bambuddha grove, another famous place we hadn't been to for quite some time. the decision to have sushi there was the wrong one though; the curries i used to order there had been much better than the sushi we got (and also, I ate much tastier sushi elsewhere). home after that and in bed by 1am.

Friday 8/10 - fully recovered

we woke up at around 9:30am, kissed by the sun. in a flash i realised my ibiza 2010 trip is soon going to end already. i wasn't really bitter about it, but it gave me some energy to get myself out of bed and to enjoy the remaining weekend on the island to the max! (That was the plan anyway then)

i let jessie sleep (today it was her who felt like she'd been run over by a truck) and went down to granja dunes for a cortado, which fully set me awake. Today, i finally felt fully recovered from all the closing party locura and this was really good. you know, i wanted to go back home with fully charged batteries. i don't like the feeling anymore leaving ibiza totally wasted and then having to recover at home (while already at work again!). i mean, there's no better place anyway to RECHARGE your batteries than in ibiza!

at 12 noon also jessie was coming back to the land of the living. first we had to get some stuff done, including washing our car. that's something which always amazes me, you can wash your car in ibiza and after a few days it looks as dirty as hell again! lunch on our balcony then and afterwards, we were chilling and fooling around all the southern part of playa d'en bossa, from ushuaia on until the tower and back, enjoying the sunny weather and we stayed on the beach until 9:30pm. it still was incredibly warm at that time!

then hunger caught us and so we drove to talamanca, where we enjoyed a great sardinada (and some even better almejas a la marinera) at hostal talamanca. got home at around 2am, fooled around with some flower power music and eventually fell asleep at around 4am.

Saturday 9/10 - i've seen better days...

We got up at around 11am and got into gear around 2hrs later after breakfast at home. then we drove and hiked to a place i hadn't visited for 4 years and jessie never had seen before - atlantis.

33569_453626029661_675464661_5229294_919447_n.jpg

Loved it to be there again! we stayed there for a few hours and then drove to es codolar, where we had a walk on the pebbled beach. the weather started to change and with this, unfortunately also my gf's mood did. in the evening we went for some really good italian food at macao cafe in sta gertrudis, but due to some unpleasant talk i didn't really enjoy dinner and neither enjoyed the km5 closing party which followed later. the party as such was absolutely fine, many island faces as always and generally really busy, but i just wasn't in a party mood at all. also, after two weeks of absolutely brilliant weather, the first raindrops had fallen that night.

Sunday 10/10 - adios ibiza mi amor...te echare mucho de menos!

so...my last day in ibiza began exactly the same way the penultimate ended: in a bad one. i felt like it's time to get out of the house, too much tension in there. so i went for a long walk, up and down the whole beach of playa d'en bossa, north to the tower at torre del mar (which is almost in es vive), then south to the other tower (torre d'es carregador) at the other end of playa d'en bossa and back home. the clouds from last night were gone, the sun was out again and it was really warm once more. and it's such a nice walk up and down the whole of pdb, especially when the beach isn't busy at all! the walk helped a bit to clear my thoughts and also J was better when i got back home.

we decided it's time for one last great lunch by the sea so we drove to cala jondal. there, we enjoyed our last few hours of ibiza sun dosmildiez at yemanja. we kicked off with some boquerones, got into gear with tasty mejillones a la marinera and closed with a delicious arroz a la marinera. if you ever visit yemanja, make sure you order a sangria de cava, it's the best you'll find on the whole island imho. of course we had one of them. after lunch, stuffed like xmas turkey, we were in need of a siesta so we let ourselves fall into sunbeds and dozed there for a while.

we left beautiful cala jondal short before sunset, drove into town to say bye to our closest friends in ibiza, then home, grabbed my suitcase and off to the airport. my flight left a bit late, J stayed for one more night and we managed to have a bit more drama while saying goodbye. not exactly the best way to leave ibiza, but...well what shall i say…

Conclusion / closing thoughts

leaving ibiza was as hard as always.
even though i see many things in a much more realistic way than i did a while ago and even if am desillusioned by some things, this f***in' island (ha ha) still keeps me coming back and is like a magnet to me. ibiza simply is a perfect cocktail of everything needed for a nice beachside holiday (respectively an incredible summer), with many stunning beaches, tons of really great and nice restaurants, bars and lounges and then of course the whole clubbing sector with the bigger and smaller clubs. above all though, stands the still existing wild and free spirit of both residents and visitors of ibiza. the people make the difference.

as you know by now, i am working in travel industry and i travel quite a lot and have already seen many places. But so far, nothing, absolutely nothing compares to ibiza!

this year, during the last week of the closings and the first "quiet" week after the closings, the weather was just PERFECT! Normally, you get some rainy days in this period, but we only got 10mins of rain in two weeks! unbelievable!!

one thing i'll say again and again: if you want to party your head off, then make sure you hit the last week of the closings. during the last two years, the police luckily was very relaxed at the end of the season and so, during the closing party period you can party 24/7 if you want (or at least almost) - just as in the good old days when space opened at 8am. the difference now is, that the daytime parties start later, but are in really nice locations! (ushuaïa, sands, la plage...) so make sure you hit the closings at least once, you won't regret it. Although, I think also here, us from spotlight already did an excellent job, because I really can't remember the closings being THAT busy and I honestly think, this year, it's been the busiest closings ever so far in my ibiza history. Not the best ones music-wise IMO, but these days, I just go for the vibe and mostly, to see my friends and simply have a wicked time with my ibiza family.

speaking about regets, i only had one this year: in the end we didn't go scuba diving in ibiza, even though i really had wanted to. ah well, like this i already have something on the list for next year. apart of that, i can honestly say i had an amazing two weeks in ibiza again. we partied hard, we ate like kings, we enjoyed the beaches and the great weather and we were all over the island almost every day! we met our friends, made new ones, had our ups & downs and yes, i did fly home well recovered!

THANK YOU to the 35793 people that helped making my ibiza 2010 hols an incredible experience! forum members, readers only (I know there are quite a few! J) and my ibiza family, i love you guys. see you next year!

I have really missed your reviews. I have not read these yet. Will pour myself a pint of bitter, a gin and tonic and a Baileys Irish Cream chaser to settle down for a good read!

Great review, thanks ! Really nice to meet you at last, as well as your lovely GF.

Totally agree with Cocoon closing comments, we had to leave pretty early as it was getting painful - sad when I have such good memories of Cocoon over the years... The afterparty was definitely an improvement. Shame you missed Kehakuma closing, it was one of the highlight's of my week. (Guy Gerber's set at the afterparty was another!) Amnesia closing was awesome, we were lucky as four of us carved out a decent space in the main room on a podium for several hours before hitting the mayhem in the sunlight, so we didn't suffer too much... Only sorry to have to head for airport as things were getting going at Ushuaia closing!

Great review as always Nostrum.
As I gave Ibiza a miss this year after having gone yearly since 2001 I'm already you just made me looking forward to the 2011 closing parties, just with a slight change of the music!

reference Mykonos, have to agree well worth a visit

went there June 2009 and May 2010 stayed in a boutique hotel in Mykonos Town which was beautiful would recommend to anybody who decides to go out there

Brilliant review! I know exactly what you mean, we have travelled to many places and had some wonderful experiences, but I would choose Ibiza over anywhere else in the world for a holiday. I dont think there are many places that have everything in such a small space in terms of the variety of beaches, restaurants, nightlife and most of all an international mixture of people.
It always means we look forward to Ibiza more than anywhere else.
Will see if our opinion changes as we go travelling for 12 months in 2011 to the far east/south america so no Ibiza next year but I know for sure we'll want to be back again the year after!

Amazing review as per always - made me experience the closing parties thru your kind words, that i unfortunately had to miss myself this year.

See you in season 2011 when there's no way for me to miss out on the closing of the closings parties!

and it was then, between 5am and 7am, when all good things came together again: it was finally a bit less busy again (let's just say it was perfectly busy now), there was an absolutely great end-of-the-night-vibe with matthias tanzmann at his best. even at that late hour there were some dc10 trademark sitdowns and the vibe was incredible. These two hours were the best of ibiza 2010 for me.

Could not agree more with this. My crew had been also been diminished from ten people to two by about 5am (flights to catch). I was on the verge of leaving myself when things seemed to change on the terrace. I felt like this was it, this was a party and I was meant to be there. I did question whether I was just coming up again but I definitely wasn't, the only thing keeping me there was the tangible atmosphere in that room. 'The best two hours of Ibiza 2010'...for me the best two hours of clubbing I have experienced anywhere in the World. The sit down for 'M.in - Sing and Blow at the same time' was spot on, so many smiling faces. Tanzmann, Squillace and the punch of that sound system absolutely obliterated it, it was the night I got DC10. I am literally worried I will never get to feel that way in a club ever again. Amazing night, amazing weekend, amazing island.

See you next year!

Back