new york...

djchewie

... clubbing aint as good as ours :lol:

clubs are hard to get into... musics a bit too downbeat and moody... no one has any rythnmmmmm....(sp)

mind u, its a great city with great peep... who all think im an aussie!
:lol: :rolleyes:

place is too big! - need to come back soon, and have been asked to DJ at friends wedding (once the bf has proposed to her).

more stories when i get back to work (thurs)... :cry:

Just got back last week from my first trip there, had a great time being a tourist and going on bus trips etc to see all the sights. Now that I have that done I would love to go back and experience the city away from the touristy bits. What a great city! 8)
(Didnt see anything about MM)

Chewie, the club scene has some issues. The clubs here are very anti male. If you show up with women, you get less hassle. Cielo is pretentious, but the crowd there is probably the best of any club in the city. Crobar is easy to get into, but the music is only good if someone decent is playing. You def gotta come back when it's warmer. You should have gone to Le Souk on sunday nite, it's tiny, but the music is never moody!

vdubjb said:
Chewie, the club scene has some issues. The clubs here are very anti male. If you show up with women, you get less hassle. Cielo is pretentious, but the crowd there is probably the best of any club in the city. Crobar is easy to get into, but the music is only good if someone decent is playing. You def gotta come back when it's warmer. You should have gone to Le Souk on sunday nite, it's tiny, but the music is never moody!

I love Le Souk, such a fun place.

monkehUK said:
How much is a cheap flight and accomodation, wouldn't mind going over in the new year?!

flights were 199 when i looked in sept for March flights... generally march/nov times are cheapest, and most trans atlantic flights are bought up by the bucket operators. so shop around.

will post up this hostels address when i get back in $30 a nite, cant complain (well i can, but ill save that for thurs)

rite im off to the airport.

catch up with u guys tomoz.

silvia said:
We are going in march, can't wait :D

The Finger Lakes region is only a few hundred miles to the Northwest. It is a beautiful area loaded with vinyards. Route 14, going from Sodus NY, (Through my town, Lyons :D ) All the way through Northern Pennsylvania has something a long the line of 17 vinyards on that road alone, right next to beautiful Seneca Lake. It is a nice stop along the way to Niagara Falls.

New York, as many in the vine buisness know, makes the best Reislings. Come during the middle of the Summer for the best weather in that area.

map_wineries_large.gif

Watkins Glen, the Southernmost region of the Lake, has an AWESOME racetrack, Watkins Glen International, and there is always a race there.

DAY 1 (last thurs)

landed... ran out of airport to have 1st smoke for over 8hrs... was chucking it down, but i thought im used to rain, aint gonna let it dampen my spirits, got a Cab and headed to hostel...

check in, opened to door to "room" - man, it was the size of a double bed (the room), and as there was no ventilation the walls didnt go all the way to ceilings, i thought ok... it'll do. unpacked, and decided to leave headwear in room... and headed uptown by foot in the wet....

20 blocks later, it started to rain... and i mean rain... had me glasses on and needed some of them novelty wipers, couldnt see a thing, was soaking thru, got to Times Sq to meet my mate, and was drentched. went for a drink, bite to eat, and decided to call it a night after looking around all the shops around times sq and headed back towards my hostel.

trying to hail a cab was a mare. was walking backwards for 20 blocks trying to get one, getting wetter and wetter. then i got splashed, and thought sod it, and ended up walking thru puddles until i finally found a cab (which some woman almost stole from me), and got back to hostel.

Went to bed, and realised i left the cd player at home. man i wish i packed it, cos at 3am, i had bagpuss in the next room snoring away. after an hour of listening to that, i decided to go for a smoke, in shorts and raincoat, with no shoes on (cos only pair i packed were a bit damp). and then i discovered the laundry room, with dryers! (insert hallilujah chime).

To be continued...

vdubjb said:
how'd you like Cielo? and where's the parts about how cool it was meeting moi? :D

that tomorrow... how do u spell yr name btw... i might bloody remember it if i see it written!

how crap is JFK airport!

chewie_oo7 said:
vdubjb said:
how'd you like Cielo? and where's the parts about how cool it was meeting moi? :D

that tomorrow... how do u spell yr name btw... i might bloody remember it if i see it written!

how crap is JFK airport!

It's spelled "Jebreh" Most of this city's transportation is pure "pants" as you'd say. They let much of it rot for 20 years in the '70's till the '90's. When the parking is full, you have to park at an abandoned airfield! The train goes to the airport, but you have to take a $9 shuttle train to the terminals. The shuttle links both airports, but noone goes from airport to airport... :eek:

vdubjb said:
chewie_oo7 said:
vdubjb said:

how crap is JFK airport!

It's spelled "Jebreh" Most of this city's transportation is pure "pants" as you'd say. They let much of it rot for 20 years in the '70's till the '90's. When the parking is full, you have to park at an abandoned airfield! The train goes to the airport, but you have to take a $9 shuttle train to the terminals. The shuttle links both airports, but noone goes from airport to airport... :eek:

man thats fooked up! - will get to my observations about NY transportation in my next installment!

u signed up with the RY board yet?

oh and was nice to meet the only NY Spotlighter to come out during my stay!

fri - more walking, went to cellar bar for danny buddah morales, good night, although no one dances! :confused:

met up with Iman and Brooklyn mike from the RY board.

had to much to drink and chatted up some texan girl, who as my luck would have it was ogling the dancers and was a wannabe lesbian...

sat - woke up, stinking hangover and lack of sleep, wandered down to reception, when this girl noticed my landon accent n asked to guess where i was from. i thought, i bet she thinks im an aussie, thinking she was from the states... chatted to her for about 15 mins half awake, and asked her where she was from.... manchester she said.... i went back to bed...

MORE Shopping, picked up my ipod from the Apple store (20GB full fat one for £188). arranged to meet Vdubjb from here outside my hostel. stood there for 10mins looking around for him, only to realise he was standing next to me the whole time. hitched a lift from another Sanchez board member and headed to Cielo - "the club to goto". got there at 12.30 only to bve told, if yr not on the g/list come back at 2.30. went for a drink with the guys in some swanky bar, had a chuckle about how the brits n the americans have diff words for diff things. noticed some very classy looking ladies dancing together, who were being groped by some balding 50yr old, but they were loving it! :confused:

went to club, and got in... expecting it to be rammed, it was half empty!

nice space tho, had ted patterson on the decks, and music was cool, and even tho the US is the birthplace for house music, they STILL dont get it!

:lol:

sun- got up early and headed uptown (again) to watch the marathon. got myself a wicked spot and saw Paula speed past to 2 shouts of "GO ON PAULA" among a crowd of hundreds... chatted to US guy next to me who's wife was running in it, and he thought i was an aussie, didnt know who paula radcliffe was (i informed him she was british and the womans WORLD record holder). did more shopping... had early nite.

mon - went up empire state (very high n cold) in the morning, visited ground zero (eerie) more shopping, and met up with Jaime (morillos cousin), his gf Kari, and Iman again. went for a nice meal in a morrocan restaurant called Le Souk. Jaime and Kari had come back from the London RY on the sat, and were blown away how crazy we all party...

tues - found record shop doing a %1.99 sale... only had an hour b4 i had to leave for airport.

cabbie was a nutter, a lil peruvian guy, kept turning round to speak to me while doing 70mph+ IN TRAFFIC, weaving in and out, on the hard shoulder... still, man got me to JFK on time!

after checking in early, i went thru security expecting Duty free shops like we do at heathrow... there were 3 shops :confused: sat down craving for a ciggie waitin for boarding time. they split us into groups for boarding... they called the 2 groups b4 me, and then said "im sorry but the flight is overbooked and we need volunteers for the next flight which leaves in about 2 hrs :evil: not happy, but fortunately some peeps got the next flight.

man, ive never been on such a bumpy flight before, was sat in midddle seat of a row of 5. :confused: made myself sleep, and next thing i know im being woken up for "breakfast". flew over liverpool, birmingham (i did wave)and circled london a bit b4 landing. got thru customs with my £££££££'s worth of gear 8)

glad i went, place is huge and no way can u do that much on a 3 night break, i was there for 5 and didnt do half the stuff i wanted to, still good excuse to go back. pack yr lip balm tho. air's very dry over there.

will post pics up soon.

8)

mambobirdette said:
Excellent Review Babe, i thought it was you waving from that plane :lol:, did you see me wave back? :D

from seat which was literally the centre of the plane no chance! only knew i was over brum cos of little map on the screen, was more exciting than the lack of films they had playing...

never flying american airlines again! no matter how cheap! virgin next time!

chewie_oo7 said:
from seat which was literally the centre of the plane no chance! only knew i was over brum cos of little map on the screen, was more exciting than the lack of films they had playing...

never flying american airlines again! no matter how cheap! virgin next time!

Aaaaw did you get all warm and cosy knowing we were all down there :D. Even when we went to florida we flew with some economy people like Thompson or something and we were all packed in like sardines :rolleyes:

Back