Mr. C

BNYC

Apparently Mr. C is selling his record collection... I guess there won't be a Superfreq in Ibiza next year either...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330289640769

DJ Mr.C (From Shamen / The End / Superfreq / Plink Plonk fame) is selling his entire House music & Techno music record collection including music from 1985 to June 2008. This collection is a complete collection of underground dance music & as a complete collection would be perfect to be kept together for the sake of archiving alone. When Mr.C moved house 10 years ago he separated his then 16.000 unit record collection into 2 halves, 1 which he considered to be too valuable to sell & the other half, records that although good held no sentimental value. He sold 8,000 units at this time & kept the 8,000 units that he considered gems & could not possibly get rid of. It is now this collection along with all of the amazing records he's acquired since 1998 that are for sale as this extremely interesting job lot. The music includes absolute dance music classics from New York Garage, through Chicago House, through Acid House, through Detroit Techno, through Belgium New Beat, through Tech House, through Minimal House & beyond & contains approximately 15,000 + pieces of vinyl. All of this music is used but in great condition as Mr.C always looked after these tunes that he holds dear. The reason for the sale is that Mr.C will be moving to another country in the summer of 2009 & believes that these records would be better being used by someone that will love them & value them as he does instead of them simply sitting in storage forever. Should this sale not go ahead Mr.C will then go on to sell these records individually. A lot of these records are highly collectable & worth £40 - £50+ each. Selling the entire collection individually would bring somewhere in the region of £150,000.00 - £200,000.00 but due to Mr.C's desire to keep the collection together, he'll part with the whole collection for a knock down price of £75,000.00 as a minimum bid.

not unless someone else takes over

he's moving to LA to try his hand at acting...

he's being blindly optimistic with the figures he's after

most 90's dance on vinyl fetches peanuts these days :confused:

true hero to me - house soldier since the start - good luck to him x

Good luck to him. I can certainly see him achieve success as an actor, he's got tons of charisma and really does possess that 'star' quality- you know when he is in the room. I've only seen him spin a few times and he was always good, plus I like the fact he hung around partying before/after his set, and was very accessible- no VIP/security around him:twisted:

yeah, you'll not find many who won't say he's a cool guy.

when i was writing my acid house dissertation at uni (not sure how i got away with that cos my degree was politics and bit of history/economics).........i spoke to him quite a few times, most notably after a gig in leeds when i was working at the club.

he chewed my ear off about clink street for the best part of an hour......legend. great memories too. :twisted:

not unless someone else takes over

he's moving to LA to try his hand at acting...

Yeah true, i've been trying to shift my Was Not Was Walk The Dinosaur 12inch to no avail! :lol:

Seriously though £75large is a bit steep. Good luck to the geezer though

Not true mate, some obscure Hardcore records from 1991/92 can go for up to £200 on eBay, same as some classic Acid House tunes from the 1980's, id say 75 grand assuming there are thousands of rare classics is a good deal if your rich and have that type of cash to splurge which most don't.

Good luck to him anyway as you said.;)

I've lost all respect for him after reading this. Why sell all your records if your so passionate about vinyl?

So he's a ''new records'' DJ now, only playing new releases? :rolleyes:

Some bitter sounding folk over on RA.

''Hi everybody,

Here it is from the horses mouth.

Thanks for all of your comments, good & bad! Typical of the inter-nerds having a go. I hope you're having fun with it?
smiley_wink.gif

I bet none of you who talk **** have ever heard me play (or even go out very much, lol) & anyone who's familiar with a Mr.C DJ set will know I've only ever played good quality forward thinking upfront dance music.... ever!

I see comments like 'some good tunes & the rest are turds'? I beg you go find a Mr.C set with a turd in it & I'll stand corrected.

10 years ago or so I had about 16,000 records & got rid of half of them due to moving house & even they were decent but kept what I thought was the creme de la creme from what I'd been playing for the previous 10 years.

Bazzwalsh, You have no idea about my sets obviously judging by your comment as I've only ever played upfront dance music & never old tunes apart from the odd nostalgic retro night. My box is almost completely new & this has always been the case which is why I had a radio show on Kiss FM for 10 years called future music.
Thanks for you're narrow & aggressive comments on someone you know nothing about. Says more about you than it does about me. lol.

Look folks, In all honesty I don't expect to make this sale but I threw it out there just in case, you never know & it doesn't hurt anyone.
My collection has a whole lot of gems in it though from things like the early Mitchibal records to Melodious Miles to the original 'New York' by Deekay Jones to all the Alleviated tracks (The obscure fingers inc label) to all the early Master C & J & DJ Pierre to all the early Trax / DJ international / Murk / DSR / Transmat / Metroplex / Quark / Nu Groove / 100% Pure / I could go on forever.
I've always spun underground house & techno & have spent well in excess of £100,000.00 over the years on vinyl. Just ask Jazzy M from when he had Vinyl Zone records in Fulham, I'd spend aprx £250 every week for years on underground music from NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Holland, Germany, Italy etc.
Like I say, I really doubt that this job lot will go in which case I'm also quite sure that I'll earn more than my asking figure by selling them individually. If that's the case then so be it.... Still happy days & a decent return on my heavy investment.

I'll not be converting the whole collection to digital.
I'll still play new vinyl which is why the sale only includes music up to June 2008.
I will record those that are sentimental to me to CD if by some miracle I do manage to sell the job lot but should I not then I'll keep those with sentimental value for myself which won't total more the 400 units.

If I wasn't moving to LA I wouldn't be selling my tunes right now but would anyway in a couple of years time when I stop playing as a career.
Until then I'll continue to play 'new records' as I always have done & after this time I'll still play the odd special gig (maybe 10-15 per year only) to satisfy my passion for spinning.

For those that are scoffing at me moving to LA to act, that's fine, enjoy yourselves.
I've been studying since 2004 'Psychology & the art of acting' which is like a modern version of the teachings of Constantin Stanislavki & Michael Checkov & I'm loving every minute of it. I'm sure many of you will wish me all the best with my future endeavours even if the odd jealous Douche Bag wishes me ill fortune.

Thanks all for taking the time to read this & for your understanding in the matter.
enjoy the rest of your week.

Best & cheers,
Richard West aka Mr.C''

I guess there won't be a Superfreq in Ibiza next year either...

From Mr C's Myspace:

Sadly, Superfreq won't be holding events in Ibiza this year or in the future, the authorities kind of killed the vibe last year & it only seems to be about the money for most on the island, so we no longer feel Ibiza is the right place for our events!

From Mr C's Myspace:

Sadly, Superfreq won't be holding events in Ibiza this year or in the future, the authorities kind of killed the vibe last year & it only seems to be about the money for most on the island, so we no longer feel Ibiza is the right place for our events!

thats a big statement? bit over the top!!! pitty as well :D

thats a big statement? bit over the top!!! pitty as well :D

hmm, maybe he's getting to an age where he can't be arsed with the hassle anymore - think about it, Mr C lived through the rave wars, remembers how heavy the plod got on the rave circuit, culminating in the CJA - is history repeating itself in Spain? I imagine he doesn't need the aggro and can find other venues in the UK or elsewhere to stage the parties

hmm, maybe he's getting to an age where he can't be arsed with the hassle anymore - think about it, Mr C lived through the rave wars, remembers how heavy the plod got on the rave circuit, culminating in the CJA - is history repeating itself in Spain? I imagine he doesn't need the aggro and can find other venues in the UK or elsewhere to stage the parties

Good point.

What happened here in the 90's with the CJA had a massive impact on the rave scene and completely changed British club culture.

He might well be seeing Ibiza going the same way.

Not forgetting what happened at the start of '07 season with Superfreq @ DC10 when the authorities shut the club down for a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Superfreq didn't draw that many people to the Zoo (Gala Night) party they participated in at season's end. Plus their stage got rained out mid-evening... I still had a fun night but if I were a promoter I'd probably not have bothered...

Back