Moving to Ibiza next summer

Jennip323

Hi ? we live I the UK and are planning to move to Ibiza next summer with our family, by then the children will be 9, 4, 3, and 1. I’m not worried about the little ones I just need my older boy to get his head around the languages before we go, am I right in thinking he needs to learn Catalan and Spanish as they teach in Catalan in the schools but mainly speak Spanish? I really don’t want to send him to a catholic school even though they teach in Spanish as we aren’t religious. My partner is a live sound engineer and trades currencies and I am a hairdresser but am happy to do other work too. Can anyone please advise on things we need to do before moving, and give any advice on jobs, schools and languages? Any advice would be very appreciated. X

Hi!

The rules will be changing for brits moving to Spain after Brexit at the end of this year...so definitely something to look into with regards to the requirements. My husband are I are moving this year to get ahead of Brexit and get into the country with simpler requirements (technically supposed to be there already but, you know, COVID)

Good luck with everything!

I am learning Spanish. School is fine. I've learned lots from two semesters of Spanish. But they were college courses, and I don't speak Spanish with anyone at home.

I also use free language site DuoLingo in conjunction. It's helpful.

But learning a language is lots of work; especially for a young boy!

& I don't have kids, so my parenting advice is moot.

If he's keen on the idea, I think DuoLingo is easy enough. You could try it & see what you think! Buena suerte! :)

Hello,

Would you say speaking Spanish is a must at first when moving?
Here's what I was told when planning a trip to Ibiza: Everyone speaks English. That said, English probably makes you sound like a tourist. Their native "Ibicenco" I think is a Catalan dialect spoken only on the island, but I'm no expert. You could get by with Castilian or English most places I'd assume.

I was also told they will understand and appreciate that you are speaking Spanish even if it's regular old Spanish (Castilian).

Here's what I was told when planning a trip to Ibiza: Everyone speaks English. That said, English probably makes you sound like a tourist. Their native "Ibicenco" I think is a Catalan dialect spoken only on the island, but I'm no expert. You could get by with Castilian or English most places I'd assume.

I was also told they will understand and appreciate that you are speaking Spanish even if it's regular old Spanish (Castilian).

Ahhh I see. What’s the job market like for English over there? English looking to move over Permanently?

Thanks

Ahhh I see. What’s the job market like for English over there? English looking to move over Permanently?

Thanks
I haven't ever been, actually... I wanted to go, but I cancelled my trip for personal reasons. So, I have no sense for their job market or language preference. I'm guessing though that a lot of their business is from tourism. With that, the more languages you can speak on the job the better.

Do you know any Spanish? You could try the DuoLingo website. It teaches some spanish, but there's way more to understanding a language than just learning a few phrases. The best thing if you have the time is to learn it at a community college or something.

Sorry I'm not more helpful. :)

Hi ? we live I the UK and are planning to move to Ibiza next summer with our family, by then the children will be 9, 4, 3, and 1. I’m not worried about the little ones I just need my older boy to get his head around the languages before we go, am I right in thinking he needs to learn Catalan and Spanish as they teach in Catalan in the schools but mainly speak Spanish? I really don’t want to send him to a catholic school even though they teach in Spanish as we aren’t religious. My partner is a live sound engineer and trades currencies and I am a hairdresser but am happy to do other work too. Can anyone please advise on things we need to do before moving, and give any advice on jobs, schools and languages? Any advice would be very appreciated. X
Do you plan to buy a place or to rent?
Do you have enough money to stay a few months without working?

Do you plan to buy a place or to rent?
Do you have enough money to stay a few months without working?

we plan to rent and keep our house in the uk and rent it out using air bnb. I’d like to have enough in the bank to have 3 months grace when we move.

With 4 kids, you need a big place to rent, it's very expensive in ibiza, even if the covid will change things in the near future.
Do you know some people on the island?
Did you ever visit ibiza in winter?

Reactions: Liv
..., by then the children will be 9, 4, 3, and 1. I’m not worried about the little ones I just need my older boy to get his head around the languages before we go, ...

Just throw them into school and kindergarden and don't bother with their language skills.
Kids are very easy on learning new languages.
You might have to wipe of some tears each evening, but after a couple of weeks they will be fine.

I am learning Spanish. School is fine. I've learned lots from two semesters of Spanish. But they were college courses, and I don't speak Spanish with anyone at home.

I also use free language site DuoLingo in conjunction. It's helpful.

But learning a language is lots of work; especially for a young boy!

& I don't have kids, so my parenting advice is moot.

If he's keen on the idea, I think DuoLingo is easy enough. You could try it & see what you think! Buena suerte! :)

Most kids learn languages pretty quick.

With 4 kids, you need a big place to rent, it's very expensive in ibiza, even if the covid will change things in the near future.
Do you know some people on the island?
Did you ever visit ibiza in winter?
Yes we’re expecting it to be expensive around £2000-£2500 a month and yes we have visited in winter, it’s a lot better than the uk weather wise. We really want a more outdoor and less conservative upbringing for the children.

we are also getting my eldest to learn Catalan first as that’s what they teach in school then after the summer we are going to start him on Spanish lessons too. He’s really excited about moving so that really helps ?

soulcompromise said:

You should try the DuoLingo service, as it can teach Spanish. However, there should be more than simply learning a couple of phrases, a community college or something...

--
Cited message is collapsed >>>
--

Indeed, DuoLingo is a good service to begin with. We're planning to move to Ibiza soon and decided to hire a Spanish tutor for our son. But we are both using DuoLingo and he is far better at it than I am. We have short quests each evening to check what we both managed to learn during the day. And he's really a witty little nerd ? It seems rather difficult to me to remember words at this age (I'm 43).

Congrats on moving ,

my thoughts

schools like said above get them in the Spanish system , there is loads of English kids they will team up with .

my lad 10 speaks a mix to his mates , Catalan at school ... nightmare . But a good 1

rents , crazy but coming down a bit with this virus . By the end of September October there will be some great deals .
As a family I can’t recommend Santa Eulalia, central , loads you do , very social , great community .

ibizatransport.co.uk for a removal company ;)

my wife is

Kinga @

Ibiza hair and makeup.com so can advise on that side

Martin

Thank you so much for putting this up, I don’t suppose you would be up for having a chat on the phone some time? Could really do with a bit more information on schools and what we need to do before and when we move out! We will treat you and the family to a bbq and cocktail night when we get there!!!

If you wanted to call us my number is +447834725383 or send me yours and a convenient time.
Jenni x

I have moved country a few times w 5 kids of differing abilities. My advice is don’t forget about YOU, you will need to have parent conferences, help with schoolwork, organise play dates. In one move location with local school, I needed to bring a language translator to parent meetings and still I never felt fully informed. I was the outsider for a while til I found the other few English speakers who were friendly, not all were. There was also feeling I was took up too much time at school meetings. Visit the school, talk to some teachers, see if YOU are comfortable being the “foreign parent”. One of my children learned language easily, the other not. So there was a lot of comparing and questioning why one doing well and other not and moved one to Intl school then I had 2 schools, twice as much admin & school runs, diff holidays. It will really depend on the school whether they can cope w parent learning new language. So, don’t forget how local school impacts you. Good luck.

Are there any news on moving here? As there are so many interesting places! That people are looking for the ways to live here permanently.

Back