Mixmag

I've always bought it every month, but have felt that it was on borrowed time for a long while. The target audience don't buy magazines any more...unlike old-timers like me!

I've always bought it every month, but have felt that it was on borrowed time for a long while. The target audience don't buy magazines any more...unlike old-timers like me!

I think the fact there currently isn't anyone buy any advertising (brands, festivals etc) was probably the main issue, not the paper magazine or not discussion. but I might be wrong...

That is sad... I was into Mixmag or DJ for a short while. I considered a Kindle (digital reader) subscription, but I thought better of it. Not that it's expensive; it isn't. But I thought about the DJs of old; the heroes I initially became acquainted with, and I realized they weren't going to be part of that except in legacy endeavors and flashbacks. No Oakenfold or Carl Cox would be smiling from the front cover anymore. Not even Armin Van Buuren. It wasn't familiar enough with all the up-and-comers/new talent. I thought that I would be better off staying out of it than trying to keep up with current events...

Used to buy Mixmag every month in the 90s and early 2000s, alog with Minstry and Muzik which was my favourite, alonng with some of the more rave focused magazines like To the core and Dream. Mixmag went really rubbish around mid 2000s when it seemed to start concentrating more on the messyness of clubbing with the mongo hotline, crasher kids and saying everything was boshing etc, all got a bit childish, it got a bit reinvented in recent years when it became quiet serious, but since they stopped doing cover cds that was another reason I stopped getting it as that was part of the attraction, there were some classic cds throughout the tears, they did an Ibiza series in 2004 which was a year I went twice and each months mix cd was quality, I remember the David Guetta one actually being really good! ALong with a Groove Armada, Roger Sanchex, Carl Cox and even a Lisa Lashes one!

Shame to see it go, but I cant imagine who would buy it these days!

Used to buy Mixmag every month in the 90s and early 2000s, alog with Minstry and Muzik which was my favourite, alonng with some of the more rave focused magazines like To the core and Dream. Mixmag went really rubbish around mid 2000s when it seemed to start concentrating more on the messyness of clubbing with the mongo hotline, crasher kids and saying everything was boshing etc, all got a bit childish, it got a bit reinvented in recent years when it became quiet serious, but since they stopped doing cover cds that was another reason I stopped getting it as that was part of the attraction, there were some classic cds throughout the tears, they did an Ibiza series in 2004 which was a year I went twice and each months mix cd was quality, I remember the David Guetta one actually being really good! ALong with a Groove Armada, Roger Sanchex, Carl Cox and even a Lisa Lashes one!

Shame to see it go, but I cant imagine who would buy it these days!
To the Core, and Dream...brings back memories. I think I still have a few of those in my 'rave time capsule' in the loft, along with a load of flyers, tape packs and my world Dance MA2 jacket!

Loved mixmag and the amazing cds it produced. It was a real monthly treat to buy it in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Still regularly listen to the two Eddie Halliwell Bosh albums and the Sander Kleinenberg Tranceglobal. Can’t bear to follow it online though with its spammy click bait.

Read all the dance press growing up. Lost interest in mixmag when it went all hard house (or even worse..) but the website has got a lot better over last 5 years. There's a million sites/blogs out there these days catering to every niche market so the days of everyone reading the same mags/sites are dead in the water.

Once events resume and they clamber over one another to get column inches and advertising space, Mixmag will be fine ?

Somewhat related, RA have started a subscription service too

Mixmag was great. It was amazing to get those cds for free at a time when you could be paying over a tenner for a shop bought the compilation and you couldn’t buy anything comparable anyway. It is years and years since I bought it though

Last edited:
Mixmag was great. It was amazing to get those cds for free at a time when you could be paying over a tenner for a shop bought the compilation and you couldn’t buy anything comparable anyway. It is years and years since I bought it though

^ Top CD. Still play it!

Ha memories, i have that cd stashed away in the attic somewhere, must dig it out

Mixmag used to be great. But past decade or so was crap, only used to subscribe for the cds. Then they stopped them, so stopped buying

I just hit up their SoundCloud. Have the totally divested in the spirit or direction of dancefloors in clubs and raves worldwide? Or maybe they're the ones setting the trend... From the short time I spent there, the only thing I thought was sort of dance-y was something by Adam Beyer; and even that wasn't up my alley. Maybe the problem is me...

But I've been listening to dance music for 2 decades. What have they done with my house music? :)

I guess if I'm honest it just feels too experimental downtempo for my taste. I'm admittedly establishmentarian, and I guess maybe their selections go against that aspect of my personality; which usually doesn't make for my best outcomes.

edit: this one's decent too... MixMag

Back