Ministry of Sound saved by Boris ?

Hmmm. Are they being a tad optimistic? Is a reference really gonna hold much water when the noise complaints tally up. Never bought a property myself, so perhaps not the best comment - but is this the kind of thing that gets lost in the small print? Would a better solution not have been to have the developers fund, or at least make a sizeable contribution towards reinforcing sound-proofing, in particular the outside area and/or altering the layout of the club to have the entrance/exit as far away from the development as possible.

should never have been an issue
the club is there before the flats - anyone buying there should do is in full knowledge of the area they are in

I completely agree with you. But speaking from experience - club where I used to work is now having licensing issues in regards to noise from resident's complaints relating to flats which have only been around a few years. The venue is decades old. But the law is standing firmly in support of the residents it would appear. I fear for the future of the club.

Trouble is, this thing is going to start happening more and more. As the high streets vanish, and retailers move their operation more online or to outskirt shopping precincts, eventually the town centres will slowly be turned into residential dwellings.

Something will budge. And I fear it will be the clubs & bars. It's already started.

Industry is going to have to adapt. And it should start doing it now.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you. But speaking from experience - club where I used to work is now having licensing issues in regards to noise from resident's complaints relating to flats which have only been around a few years. The venue is decades old. But the law is standing firmly in support of the residents it would appear. I fear for the future of the club.

Trouble is, this thing is going to start happening more and more. As the high streets vanish, and retailers move their operation more online or to outskirt shopping precincts, eventually the town centres will slowly be turned into residential dwellings.

Something will budge. And I fear it will be the clubs & bars. It's already started.

Industry is going to have to adapt. And it should start doing it now.

This is my worry for my local club too (and only decent club in a 20 mile radius).

Its situated directly opposite an old massive Jute Mill, and theres been developers crawling all over it for years. I believe planning permission has again been sought (financial meltdown in 2008 scuppered the last attempt to do something with it). Not sure any residents will be too keen on having the massive reggae soundsystems or regular house/techno nights directly across the road (I used to live over the road from it, and one of our neighbours was trying to orchestrate a plan to have it shut down and sent letters out to all the other residents not realising half his neighbours either were regulars at the club or dj-ed there!).

Back