Mexico

AR_IBIZA

Seeing as there is a fair bit of talk on Mexico at the minute, and since I have just booked to go for 2 weeks one NYE, thought I would start its own thread.

Anyone been who has any tips and tricks or must do things?

Where you staying? I've been twice once in Cancun and once a bit further down the riveria 2 of the best holidays I have ever been.

My main tip is take imodium! There's a bug out there called the montezuma that everyone gets it really is unpleasant.

Currency wise pesos is better value for money but is hard to work out constantly so take dollars if you can't be bothered.

Tulum is one beautiful place I wish I could go back

I hit up Tulum, about 45 min south of Cancun about 10 years ago, and stayed at a extremely romantic hotel/resort 'Azulik'. I would recommend the place, highly.

We didn't go clubbing though. We did a tour of the Mayan ruins, but mostly laid around naked, eating room service and sexually abusing each other for the full ten days. I am not sure about now, but back then at least, it was marketed as an eco-resort, so no phone lines or tvs in the cabins. Everything except the toilet was lit by candlelight. Back then the cell coverage was minimal, but I am sure that has been remedied (unfortunately). At night, the only thing you could hear over the crashing waves were the moans of the other couples (in their own cabins, of course :lol:).

It was the most restful and best slept vacation, ever.

Where you staying? I've been twice once in Cancun and once a bit further down the riveria 2 of the best holidays I have ever been.

My main tip is take imodium! There's a bug out there called the montezuma that everyone gets it really is unpleasant.

Currency wise pesos is better value for money but is hard to work out constantly so take dollars if you can't be bothered.

Tulum is one beautiful place I wish I could go back
Thanks! Staying at the Grand Palladium White Sand Resort. Its in between Tulum and Playa Del Carmen. Hoping Sound and Day Zero are back so can mix a relaxed holiday with some amazing events! We fly NYE and back on 14th January.

Will add the Imodium to the list of essentials!

Thanks! Staying at the Grand Palladium White Sand Resort. Its in between Tulum and Playa Del Carmen. Hoping Sound and Day Zero are back so can mix a relaxed holiday with some amazing events! We fly NYE and back on 14th January.

Will add the Imodium to the list of essentials!

If I went back I would stay where you are it's more traditional Mexico. Cancun is just a mini magaluf playing worse music!

The people are really nice just look after them and they look after you.

Enjoy mate I wish there were music events on when I went the Mrs would of been dragged!

If I went back I would stay where you are it's more traditional Mexico. Cancun is just a mini magaluf playing worse music!

The people are really nice just look after them and they look after you.

Enjoy mate I wish there were music events on when I went the Mrs would of been dragged!
That's exactly why I choose that area! Its only half hour in a taxi from the main event venues. Don't like the idea on Cancun in all honesty, not my cuppa of tea. Got a really good price for the hotel flights etc with TUI but the talk of events prices is a little daunting but from what I've seen if you get early birds and not final release they are not actually too bad.

Going back to your first reply, you would advise taking dollars over pesos then?

Playa Del Carmen is a nice town but very edgy. I'd always take pesos as you'd get a better rate and if you was to pay in other currency, you'd get your change in pesos.

Also don't forget the Exit Tax when leaving the airport to fly back home.

BPM Festival really was something else its a shame its finished as that would of been a good few days for you

Playa Del Carmen is a nice town but very edgy. I'd always take pesos as you'd get a better rate and if you was to pay in other currency, you'd get your change in pesos.

Also don't forget the Exit Tax when leaving the airport to fly back home.

BPM Festival really was something else its a shame its finished as that would of been a good few days for you
Think I’ll take a mix of both then cover all scenarios. What is the Exit Tax? First long haul trip for the best part of a decade!

Think I’ll take a mix of both then cover all scenarios. What is the Exit Tax? First long haul trip for the best part of a decade!
Paying to leave the country, before you get into security they have the money off you. You can pay in Euros, Dollars, Peso or Sterling must be cash. no cards. It was £30 when I went in 2017. Just looked on google it says its currently £50

Paying to leave the country, before you get into security they have the money off you. You can pay in Euros, Dollars, Peso or Sterling must be cash. no cards. It was £30 when I went in 2017. Just looked on google it says its currently £50
Thank you! That is something I can imagine I would have cocked right up, who comes back from a holiday with spare cash:oops:

Is this new? I was there for the last BPM in 2017 and i dont recall paying anything when leaving the country...

@aregandj - I was at BPM from 2013-2017, so I can give you pretty much anything you need to know about PDC and went to some events in Tulum also although am admittedly less knowledgeable about the landscape over there as i was usually pretty foggy when visiting Tulum. No doubt get yourself some Pesos, but generally Mexico is awesome and do yourself a favor and prebook transport to/from the airport. I believe it was Canada Transfers that i used to use and they were always on time and solid.

I have just looked on TUI website who I booked with and it states the following:

"No more departure tax on long-haul holidays from 1st May 2019

For holidays to Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Aruba, the Dominican Republic, Barbados or Goa starting on or after 1st May 2019, you’ll no longer need to set aside any spending money for departure tax, as we’re including it within the cost of your holiday."

That's a nice touch.

Is this new? I was there for the last BPM in 2017 and i dont recall paying anything when leaving the country...

@aregandj - I was at BPM from 2013-2017, so I can give you pretty much anything you need to know about PDC and went to some events in Tulum also although am admittedly less knowledgeable about the landscape over there as i was usually pretty foggy when visiting Tulum. No doubt get yourself some Pesos, but generally Mexico is awesome and do yourself a favor and prebook transport to/from the airport. I believe it was Canada Transfers that i used to use and they were always on time and solid.
Transfers are included in the package as well. Very happy with TUI seem to have everything covered and for £2000 each think that is very reasonable.

Not sure to be honest! Was my first ever visit, i've paid to enter a country before but not to leave which was baffling at first.

Transfers are included in the package as well. Very happy with TUI seem to have everything covered and for £2000 each think that is very reasonable.

Funny because £2000 seems crazy to me but i guess from London it is a long haul. We used to pay peanuts for flights and stay in boutique hotels for BPM at like $400 for 5 nights. The best thing about Mexico is how inexpensive it is, great meals for the equivalent of like $15 when paying in pesos. Just stay away from tourist traps on main drags, but i suppose if you're staying in the middle of PDC and Tulum anyway it isn't really a main tourist area.

GBP 2000 is not bad, considering a flight from UK to Carib and accomodation at a nice spot.

Its hard to get across the pond (flight only) for anything less than about 800 each from here, and I look regularly.... :cry:

How many days?

Thank you! That is something I can imagine I would have cocked right up, who comes back from a holiday with spare cash:oops:
No problem! Don't be suprised if you go into a gift shop and you get offered el chapos finest by the shopkeepers aswell. Happened to me a number of times :lol:

Back