Mexican Spanish question for Silvia

Tycoon

I watched one of the greatest films I have seen in some time last night: "Amores Perros", the Mexican movie. It was in Spanish with French subtitles. I love some of the Mexican expressions I had forgotten about (I was born and raised in Los Angeles). But there was one expression used often that I couldn't understand. Guys said it at the beginning of a sentence: sounds like 'guey' or "huey". Do you know what that word is? Almost like 'che' in Argentina.

Tycoon said:
I watched one of the greatest films I have seen in some time last night: "Amores Perros", the Mexican movie. It was in Spanish with French subtitles. I love some of the Mexican expressions I had forgotten about (I was born and raised in Los Angeles). But there was one expression used often that I couldn't understand. Guys said it at the beginning of a sentence: sounds like 'guey' or "huey". Do you know what that word is? Almost like 'che' in Argentina.

I don't know how they write it and I'm not sure if it means guy, dude, man or it's just an expression like che

Tycoon you have great taste ;) I haven't seen Amores Perros cos I'm very impressive and I'm not sure I could cope with it. :oops:
Yael García Bernal is a very young master, he was in last Almodovar film and it was impossible to notice his accent

silvia said:
Tycoon said:

I don't know how they write it and I'm not sure if it means guy, dude, man or it's just an expression like che

Tycoon you have great taste ;) I haven't seen Amores Perros cos I'm very impressive and I'm not sure I could cope with it. :oops:
Yael García Bernal is a very young master, he was in last Almodovar film and it was impossible to notice his accent

Yess but if you see this film called Y tú mama también where he is one of the actors is really dificult to understand, you got to be very concentrated. They speack very shut and use lots of words we dont use over here and it is really dificult, because of the word and the accent.

mikkak said:
Yess but if you see this film called Y tú mama también where he is one of the actors is really dificult to understand, you got to be very concentrated. They speack very shut and use lots of words we dont use over here and it is really dificult, because of the word and the accent.
I watched it with subtitles... made it a lot easier ;)

mikkak said:

Y tu mamá también is a mexican film, I don't know why should they sound Spanish :eek:

Morbyd said:
mikkak said:
I watched it with subtitles... made it a lot easier ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: yess they should have done that here, jeje, you could understand most of it but maybe you missed a few of word of every sentence, or maybe a full sentence and you could here in the cinema people saying: qué????? que ha dicho??'

:cry: :cry: :cry:

When am I going to meet you people??? You all mentionned two other great films: "La Mala Educacion" and "Y tu mama tambien". The latter is PHENOMENAL. I watched it at home in LA one night and watched it again the very next morning when I got up. The film is incredible.
Silvia, add "Motorcycle Diaries" to the list of incredible accents by Gael Garcia Bernal. His Argentinian Spanish was "barbaro"! :D
I actually understand Mexican Spanish more easily than other accents (including castilian) because that is the Spanish I was brought up on hearing more often - on the streets, on TV, and our household help as a child were Mexican and Central American.
Silvia, I just started reading "The Aleph" by Borges this morning!

silvia said:
mikkak said:

Y tu mamá también is a mexican film, I don't know why should they sound Spanish :eek:

Silvia, I am not pretending it sound spanish, I am just making a comment about that it was dificult to understand, thats was all, I wasn't emplaying anything else, don't know what you understood of what I was saying.

Tycoon said:
:cry: :cry: :cry:

When am I going to meet you people??? You all mentionned two other great films: "La Mala Educacion" and "Y tu mama tambien". The latter is PHENOMENAL. I watched it at home in LA one night and watched it again the very next morning when I got up. The film is incredible.
Silvia, add "Motorcycle Diaries" to the list of incredible accents by Gael Garcia Bernal. His Argentinian Spanish was "barbaro"! :D
I actually understand Mexican Spanish more easily than other accents (including castilian) because that is the Spanish I was brought up on hearing more often - on the streets, on TV, and our household help as a child were Mexican and Central American.
Silvia, I just started reading "The Aleph" by Borges this morning!

Tycoon come to Spain and we can talk films and books all day long :lol: :lol:

La Mala Educación is an extraordinary film. I'm not a big Almodovar fan but this one is excellent, probably cos it's the only film about men ;)

mikkak said:
silvia said:
mikkak said:

Silvia, I am not pretending it sound spanish, I am just making a comment about that it was dificult to understand, thats was all, I wasn't emplaying anything else, don't know what you understood of what I was saying.
I will add that Mexican people speack spanish, and ofcourse is great that they have they diferences and I just was pointing this and that it was dificult to understand. I not pretending they should have made the film speakin the spanih of Madrid to be able to understand it, is obvious that I wasn't saying anything of that kind. I don't know what you meant by what you said, but I speack mallorquin and even so is catalan when I speack it I speack it with all its little diferences, with that accent that people say we have, so I really know what is the respect for diferences in languages. Cheers :D

I love Almodovar fils, one of my favourites is Átame

mikkak said:
I will add that Mexican people speack spanish, and ofcourse is great that they have they diferences and I just was pointing this and that it was dificult to understand. I not pretending they should have made the film speakin the spanih of Madrid to be able to understand it, is obvious that I wasn't saying anything of that kind. I don't know what you meant by what you said, but I speack mallorquin and even so is catalan when I speack it I speack it with all its little diferences so I really know what is the respect for diferences in languages. Cheers :D

I love Almodovar fils, one of my favourites is Átame[/quote]

Mikkak vale ya lo he entendido, no hace falta que te justifiques tantas veces ni que te tomes a pecho todo lo que se dice aquí :rolleyes:

My favourite Almodovar film is "Que he hecho para merecer eso?". "Habla con Ella" is fantastic as well and "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" is a classic.
I'll be coming to Barcelona to see the Caravaggio exhibit at the MNAC. I just don't have the date yet (it is on until mid-January).

Tycoon said:
My favourite Almodovar film is "Que he hecho para merecer eso?". "Habla con Ella" is fantastic as well and "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" is a classic.
I'll be coming to Barcelona to see the Caravaggio exhibit at the MNAC. I just don't have the date yet (it is on until mid-January).

Women on the verge is sooo classic sooo funy sooo spanish :lol: :lol:

Let me know when is it and we can meet for a drink or two :D

No me lo he tomado a pecho, simplemete quería dejar clara mi postura a este respecto porque tú comentario podría dar a entender algo que yo no había dicho, he explicado mi postura y así me quedo más tranquila, para mi es una cuestión de salud mental, la mía claro. :D :D :D soy muy comecocos

Mikkak, beso

you just make me happy :D :D

Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios, is really really good, Carmen Maura is really funny,the story and the caracters are really good, I was trembling when they said they wanted to do an american version not because they don't do good films over there, they do: one of my favourites the accidental tourist but because I imagined an americanada as we say over here, something like vanilla sky/ abre los ojos. :D

Back