June 16th- 25th, First Timer in Ibiza Trip w/ pics

Nobbie Q

Still feeling specks of sand from San Antonio Bay on my sandals at home and habitually reading Ibiza-Spotlight, I think I'm ready to finally post my review of my first ever trip to Ibiza that I did last month. It took me a week or so to get back into the groove of things back at home but I did it, and had to get back into the mundane way of doing things. I'll update this slowly...

Preface
I've been wondering about Ibiza ever since I discovered Sasha's Global Underground 13: Ibiza mix which introduced me to proper dance music back in 2001. I've never heard music like this being mixed like this ever before. I was listening to a lot of trance-pop at the time, ATB- 9 PM and Alice Deejay. I discovered ATB's Clubber's Guide to Trance and on it was BT's Fibonacci Sequence. I tried to download it off of Napster and I discovered it as being part of disc 2 of Sasha's mix, and the rest was history. I listened to more mixes from this place and they were all steller, like Deep Dish's Renaissance Ibiza mix. I got familiar with the balaeric style

June 15th
My flight was at 3 PM from Toronto. I had booked my trip back in mid-February. I remember every year looking at the prices around this time and thought it was doable, but I kept on holding off on it because I was working on saving my money a lot better, but after not taking a vacation for 3 years I decided to do this finally.

I already had mixed feelings about this trip. I was waiting for docs from my Canadian government for a new job that was offered to me overseas teaching English In Korea but they still hadn't come in yet and I was close to losing the position as a result. And I didn't get this new position at my still current existing job. I wanted to feel like I actually deserved this trip by looking forward to something after, but nonetheless, my dad dropped me off at Pearson Airport outside Toronto and I was off my way

I bought Hendrick's Gin at the duty free shop a 1.4 liter version of it I think. I'm a big gin fan, but realized I still hadn't had the best of it yet! My flight was from Toronto to Philly to Barcelona..then finally Ibiza. My flight was delayed until 4:20 PM arrgh. It's like every flight from or to Toronto is ALWAYS delayed for me. I met a group of 3 guys who were also going to Barcelona, taking the same flights as me. One guy jokingly said to me "You'll make it but your bags might not". This became a foreshadowing thing as this is exactly what happened but more on that later.

This trip immediately got off onto a bit of a rocky start. After a few drinks with those guys at the airport bar (which had cool tablets for ordering stuff on) I reached the gate at around 4 PM. After seeing my boarding pass, they told me to enter this tunnel to get to the plane. It was like only me and two other people left...they were calling my name on over the loudspekers prior lol. When i got out of the tunnel, i was outside and I saw a plane but I wasn't if i was supposed to board it, so I kept on walking and I walked back inside through another set of doors. I walked for a bit and I realized oh crap I cant be going the right way. So I went back and then I realized the plane was there the whole time and I entered it, and the person from the airline was there at the entrance thinking I was a retard lol.

So anyway quick flight to Philly without a hitch. I then had to take a small airport bus to get to the other other gate for the flight to Barcelona. This flight was very comfy, as it was like only half full. I immediately changed seats and had two seats to myself.

Some pics from the plane to Barcelona:

IMG_20150616_023637.jpg IMG_20150616_023641.jpg

June 16th
The next quasi problem came at Barcelona. My layover was only an hour long and this was my first time at this airport. I had no idea where to go but I found my way to the transfers area. The problem was was that my Terminal was all the way on the bottom floor and I had to find my way there. After asking a few ppl for help, I went backwards through another a gate, much to the confusion of the security there. All this time I was lugging around my carryon too. I found my gate at the terminal but they said I had to go to the office of Vueling to get my tix! There was like only 30 mins left. I went there, and there was no one there. I went around to the other side of the terminal on directions of this security guy to go to the main office where I THEN got directed correctly to where it was. It was an Iberia stand. My flight was Iberia operated by Vueling but nonetheless this was the correct place. Time was really ticking and I was getting scared I'd miss it. The lady there told me I had to go back to the gate to get my tix tho! arrgh, I told her I jus came from there! But she insisted I had to go back there.

So I went back there, huffing and puffing, sweating my ass off carrying my carryon with my laptop and other stuff. There was another guy working at the gate, and he told me to wait for a bit, but finally issued me a boarding pass! WOOT.

I was finally on this plane to Ibiza. I unfortunately didn't have a window seat and my damn phone was out of batteries to take even a crappy picture but here I was on this plane.

I thought this plane would be filled with crazy partygoers and such but it wasn't. It was filled with a mixture of people, mostly middle aged folks lol. This flight was like only an hour long. I had to put my stupid carryon in front of me, but no matter as it was a short flight. We were at last decending to Ibiza and we landed finally and maybe only two people clapped. The first thing that struck me were all the mountains covered with greenery. I didn't realize how mountainous Ibiza was when I excited the plane to enter the bus to the airport. I said in another thread...it was like when those people from the Jurassic Park movie see a Brontasaurus for the first time and how they all have a look of awe. That's how I felt as well!

I see David Guetta's F- Me I'm Famous poster coming down the escalator in the airport when going towards the luggage pickup area. I'm getting hyped up, even though I'm not a huge fan of his. So i'm waiting for my luggage to finally get my trip started...and it never shows up. I asked the Vueling counter lady nearby where it could be. She told me to check this other area...it's not there. I came back to her and then had put out a thing to trace it...arrrgh. Luckily when she did that, like 2 mins later a telefax came in saying how it was at Barcelona. She was saying how it would probably come later in the evening (it was around noon) and that they'd deliver next day or I could come get it. I was really worried, they assured me it happens, and gestured to all the luggage behind her. She said in my case it was cuz of my tight connection. I gave her my info and I went to go to the bus stop outside the airport.

It was a grey sky day, slightly drizzling. I was worried for sure about my stuff. I was unsure about the bus situation too but it did come at 1 PM I think. I was staying at Invisa Hotel Es Pla in San Antonio. I had no idea what San Antonio REALLY looked like, but it was the last stop anyway. It was really nice seeing all the mountains along the way. I think I saw KM5 too and felt myself get excited again. I made it to San Antonio and I found my hotel easily.

I was on the first floor, really easy to go up and down the stairs to the main floor. I went out to the nearby LIDL and got myself some more gin and mixers and some beers too. They were cheap, even with the exchange rate. I went to have some lunch at some outdoor resto by the fountain. They had some special going on with burrito I think, salad and some tortilla chips and this pancake dessert. I thought the portion size was mad small and the food quality was low. The pancake just had some chocolate syrup layered on it with nothing else special done to it, not even any powered sugar sprinkled on it.

I'm a big Cafe Del Mar fan, but I wanted to save myself seeing it until a proper time, so I didn't go down there. My memory is hazy but I think I caught some rest and then called the airline lost and found line and they said that basically they weren't sure if it was back at Ibiza airline, but that they'd text me. I called again and got a better agent who gave me more info and assured me that it was at Ibiza airport most likely but couldn't 100 % confirm it. I was trying to not let this bug me too much.

Anyway, I remember seeing a sign about Dennis Ferrer doing a preparty set at Cafe Mambo, starting at 9. I had prebought my tixs for Defected later that day at Amnesia, so even though Ferrer would be there later, I wanted to see how he would play a slower set at an earlier time. I walked down there, i had a bottle of juice mixed with some gin. I wasn't sure if i could bring it in (most liekly not) so I tossed it to the side of the street approaching Mambo. I could say I was instantly pleased with the vibe of this place and sure enough Dennis Ferrer was spinning. All the tables were full, but it wasn't that busy otherwise. It was a really nice relaxing vibe, and it made me almost forget about my luggage stuff. I got introduced to Ibiza's drink prices when I ordered a Gin and Cran (10 Euros), but to be fair, they put a lot of gin in it. I made friends with someone from the UK who's night was his last there. He had come with some other people there. He has a spliff rolled up and we smoked it on the rocks outside, at the same time the fire dancing lady came out to do a show. Around this same time I got a text from the airline saying my bag would be delivered tomorrow wwoo! I breathed a sigh of relief..gave some euros to the fire lady as tips in her metal bucket. I think me and the guy got another drink and just chilled at one of the tables. I did want to do the whole staring at the DJ thing on the promonade and dance a bit cuz the music was good and plus I was getting excited, but it was nice just sitting down and relaxing. There's no way in hell I could listen to Dennis Ferrer at home in a bar environment while just sipping on drinks casually...for free too.

We stayed there until around 12, they were closing up shop. I asked my new found friend to come to the hotel with me to have some more drinks. I picked up the bottle that I had with gin off the side of the road and drank from that too. We had some more drinks there, I played some music from my Traktor as well and was just messing around with music while getting hammered. He had a wristband for a free bus to Amnesia and he to be there at a certain time. He completely missed the bus and I told him that maybe he'll have to pay a bit extra if he's lucky instead of paying full door cover. Anyway I took a cab there with him and I pretty much lost him afterwards.

I was impressed with Amnesia. There was an urban type of feeling in the Together Main room but I was there for Defected on the Terrace. It was easy to move around but it was busy, from my hazy recollection. I remember gitting a mixed gin drink there. The bartender sure was happy I bought it, especially with the tip i left on top of it. The drinks here also have a lot of alcohol in them. My earplugs were in my luggage so i grabbed some Amnesia napkins and scrunched them up and put them in my ears. My ears are sensitive and I hate how they feel after a night out. I can't remember much in the middle of this night, except that I was mad hammered and the music was good. The terrace closed earlier than the main room, so everyone went to the main room afterwards. I remember getting another drink but oh no, no more cash. I told them to cancel the drink order but they wanted me to pay since they already made it. Thankfully i had my Mastercard and I paid it eee. The main room had Chase and Status on and it was a nice change of pace. I'm not fans of them but it was nice to hear something different. The main room definitely had more of this pickup vibe too it, as I suspected, from listening to Chase and Status a little bit online. In a way I wish i was there in the main room instead, cuz it really felt like it was easy to dance with the ladies and what not lol but I veer towards the music in situations like this and don't regret seeing the Defected madness at all. The action in the main room lasted for like only another 30 mins.

I grabbed a cab back, used my master card again. I didn't wanna deal with the bus, i guess I didn't really know about it that well and was like in a whatever kinda mood as well and I was exhausted. Some guys asked me if I wanted drugs outside my hotel. I did want them but asked them to wait cuz i had cash in my room. I took a while getting the cash, I don't remember what actually took so long. I think I got distracted with some stuff on my phone. I came back out, no where to be found.

More pics:
IMG_20150616_222213.jpg IMG_20150617_030222.jpg IMG_20150617_032316.jpg IMG_20150616_231918.jpg

For some reason I woke up at the San Antonio bus station. It's now 2 PM Wed, June 17th. I had
everything on me. the bus station was right behind my hotel, so I think i was trying to find
those guys and after I couldn't I just passed out on a bench outside the station LOL. I almost
threw up on the way, but i managed to hold it in. Luckily, I still had everything on me. I went
back to my hotel, they had my luggage. The delivery came through! I took my bag and proceeded
to my room and set my alarm for 6. I had La Familia to go to later that day With Joris, Nic,
and Derrick Carter.

My dumbass had the phone on silent so when i woke up, it was like 8 PM! Oh NO. The alarm didn't
go off earlier as a result. My hotel came with half board, so I get two meals with my dinner. I
went down to eat a bit and went back to my room to get ready. I predrank a bit but I couldn't
really predrink that much cuz I was running mad late. I took a cab around 930 or so to get to
Ushahua. I didn't know the set times, but I knew i had missed Derrick Carter. It was gonna be
my first time seeing him arrgh. I got there around 9:50 I think. Zero queue, ticket girl looked
bored at the front, playing on her phone. I heard Joris' remix of I Had This Thing by Royksopp
coming from party outside and that was cool. I entered and I got to hear the song in all its
glory while witnessing Ushauia for the first time. It was bigger than I thought it would be,
and there was room to move around the sides and backs. There were a group of guys doing stag
parties who I hung out with for a bit. I forgot my smokes at my hotel so I asked someone for
them and they gave me a pack with like 5 or 6 smokes in em. Pretty nice of them. The music was
good for the night. Nic and Joris varied up the vibe with some regular house songs which was
cool to hear. I hadn't heard Nic for maybe 7 years maybe and last time I didn't like him in my
home town. I heard some online sets too, and wasn't impressed but that night was good...him and
Joris worked their magic. I had my Nic Fanciuilli Presents Renaissance CD booklet with me so
after they were done I rushed up to the front to show Nic. He pointed me out and the security
took my pen and booklet and he signed it which was a nice moment.

Afterwards there were some Sankeys reps outside who gave me a free wristband to the club for We
Love Sankey's opening. I wasn't originally gonna go, I was going to just hang out in the area
or just go back to San Antonio but I decided to go. I grabbed some "supplies" along the way to
Sankey's from the looky looky guys. I was extremely wary of this, but I decided to get some.
Since I was solo, I was getting hounded by a lot of these guys and also the African
prostitutes, one who was soliciting herself for 50 euros and urged me to go to an alley. She
wouldn't take no for an answer and I had to really be strong to get away from her.
Sankey's had some queues outside but I quickly got in. It was really busy, and I was really
confused where to go, being it my first time. I remember going to the terrace first and then
going to the right to where this movie room was. They were playing this sci-fi movie called
Screamers with Peter Weller in it, that looked like crap but it was nice to chill out there. No
one was paying attention to this movie anyway. They were giving out free popcorn which was
cool.

I wasn't really in a mood to rave out, so it was nice chilling out but I did want to see what
the fuss with Rudimental was about, so I went down to Spektrum and this room was rammed. It was
cool to hear some different type of music than what I'm accustomed to. I think along the way I
lost my shades after some drunken guy hugged me inside the place. I must have left at like
5:30'ish I think? I'm not sure but it was right after Rudimental finished. Sankey's overall
seemed like a more sketched out place than usual but I think cuz you're more closer to people
so you can sense it more.

When I exited the place, that same damn prostitute from earlier found me again! She was being aggressive sorta AGAIN, I asked her where the bus was and she pointed the direction and at least gave me the right directions. She gave up finally.

2 guys from Norway I think were also heading to the bus so I talked to them a bit as well about their night. Their English was limited. I also talked to two UK girls as well who went to Sankey's like me who were also waiting for the bus. They were fans of Rudimental and liked the night. It was their last night there. After I got off the bus I ran into them again at some food place near my hotel. I asked one of them if they wanted to blaze a spliff in my room and just hang out but they said no lol.

I went back to my room to my room and rolled one up and went to the balcony. The sun was pretty much almost up at this point and my balcony was sitting on top of a green roof. This girl comes outta nowhere walking up to me and wonders what she's doing up so late. |She didn't partake on the joint, there were some guys in another room that she was with and she went back LOL. Smoked it all alone and headed to bed after a while.

Some pics: 11752043_10154036321829554_9010769873260353759_n.jpg IMG_20150617_221653.jpg IMG_20150617_232825.jpg IMG_20150618_015625.jpg

So now we're on Thursday, June 18th. This was my off day...wasn't interested in going to any of
the club events that day. I get up around maybe 1'ish. This is the day when things get kinda
messed up. My phone started screwing up on me as soon I started eating lunch downstairs in the
hotel eating area. It just shut down and started to "optimise apps"which would take
forever...then finally it'd be on. But as soon as I start using it again, it powers off
randomdly, and starts to optimise apps. This kept happening until...it just wouldn't basically
turn on anymore. This problem has happened with my phone before but it was repaired and now it
was happening again arrgh. The hotel staff told me to check out this store in the area. I go
there but they basically said they don't do repairs and told me to check out some next area. I
make this long sorta walk to the area and around this time I was geting hungry again, and I saw
Casa Thai, one the places I wanted to eat at.

I decided to sit down and order some Pad Thai. It was pretty good, priced about the same same
back home, but had good portion size. I asked those guys where I could go to repair my phone.
They said I'd have to to go Ibiza Town, but then told me to go to another place in San Antonio.
My memory is a bit hazy, but I think I got tired of walking around everywhere for this and
decided to go back to the hotel and go swimming in the pool. The water wasn't heated that much
and although the weather was hot, it wasn't THAT hot, so any part of my body that was not in
the pool would be really cold. I couldn't really enjoy the party, despite a member of the
animacion team telling me I cold boil tomatoes in the water LOL. Yeahh...sorry don't think so.

I couldn't properly enjoy my trip at this point. I mean I had no backup camera and really
wanted to use my device to take shots and talk to my friends back home, and also use it to
connect to ppl on the island. Nonetheless I was trying to make the best of it, and decided to
go to Ibiza Town tonight.

So i pretty much predrank a bit in my room, nothing crazy and took the bus to Ibiza Town.
Getting off there, I felt a different vibe already. There were lots of small bars there but it
wasn't filled with the young folks from San Antonio. It was an older crowd. I remember seeing a
DJ playing music from a small second story balcony and ppl were having fun at another bar. I
went by the promonade area and saw all these Super Yachts...i've never seen anything like it
before. They were like mini-ships! This one owner of a bar started talking to me, asking where
i was going and stuff. I didn't know he was the owner until he asked me to chill out and have a
drink. I decided to, he was friendly enough. There was like no one there, except for maybe some
ppl he knew. I did some people watching, they passed by this bar. It was nice to just relax I
suppose. Some girl came in the bar, high as hell, smiling at me. We had a bit of a chit chat,
it was pretty interesting. Then all of a sudden the infamous ANTS morph guys came in the bar
and decided to mess around for a bit. Ive seen these guys in pics and it was funny seeing them
in person. One guy did take off his mask, and that spoiled the illusion for me.

After they left, I chilled for a bit more, and gave my farewells to the owner. He seemed to be
disappointed in me leaving but I really had to explore the area. I walked up these stairs
further down and it led me to the gay part of Ibiza Town. It's not my scene but I thought it
was cool how the street was narrow and there's bars on opposite end from one another. I
strolled through and walked around a bit more. Some dealers approached me and asked me if I
wanted something. I guess there's no escape from it, but these dealers weren't as prevelant as
in San Antonio. I really enjoyed Ibiza Town, it had a completely different feel to it and I should have enjoyed it more, but the phone thing was bugging me TBH. Otherwise I would have grabbed some more drinks along those bars at the promonade and hung around. It's more of a mature scene as well and more Spanish for me.

It was around 3 AM at this time and things were sorta quieting down there so I decided to take the discobus back to San An. It stopped on the way to Amnesia and some drunk UK guy was being really boisterious. So much so that the bus driver stopped the bus and walked up to him and asked him to leave. He apologized eventually and then piped down.

The smoke line shoulda worked, especially since it was for THE smoke.

That girl high in the bar was so happy. She had like a perma smile on her face hahah. I have to add I liked the old feel of Ibiza town, the cobblestone ground and such

Friday, June 19th

This is the only day I managed to wake up for the "late breakfast" at my hotel and like the only day where I felt like I had a more complete Ibiza experience. The breakfast lasted until Noon I think, which is actually early for me. The breakfast was very good. The tators were really good. I remember having that, some toast, eggs, and tea. I was more refreashed this day since the night before was very tame.

I asked another person at the reception afterwards about what to do with my phone. They told me to go to an electronics repair shop in San An. They gave me a mini map and actually wrote down where to go. The staff here at this hotel was great and they really helped me out as I'll explain later in my review, when I got into a crazy problem. The receptionist told me this place repaired her phone and to give it a shot. I walked to this repair shop which wasn't too far away. The ppl there didn't really know much English but they knew enough. They told me to come back to their shop at like 7 PM cuz they needed time to diagnose it.

I spent a lot of time on this... it was taking away from my vacay time. I'm just remembering now when I'm writing this that the night before I went to cellphone shop by the Spar in San An and this guy was saying to get a new batter from Phone Booth which was closed at the time. I didn't trust this at all. This new repair shop felt more legit, so I was a bit relaxed at this point.

This was the day that I was gonna finally visit one of the beaches by boat from San An Bay. It was gonna be Cala Bossa and it was very convenient that the weather was even hotter than yesturday. The boat was leaving at around 2 PM I think...I had asked the ticket sellers yesturday about this and they gave me a schedule. It was around 12 around this time. I remember reading on this site that the food sold there was a bit pricey. So along the way back to my hotel, I bought a couple of chicken sandwiches, a juice, and more Gin. I didn't wanna use the Hendrick's gin up so fast that I still had in my hotel.

Because the weather was so hot, I was more willing to try out the hotel pool this time around. I put some gin in a juice bottle and went downstairs. I would have preferred to have my own beer bottles there with my Green Bay Packers cup (real football ;)), but this hotel had a cash bar outside by the pool so I didn't think they would take it too kindly with me openly bringing my booze there. The pool felt way better this day. You get adjusted to the water temperature fast and don't feel that cold at all with any part of your skin outside. They had random dance music playing and I was actually thinking of asking this hotel if I could spin some music. I had my laptop with all my tracks but didn't bring my Audio 4 external audio card, but I figured I could just wing it and just remember what the tracks sounded like and just beatgrid. But I didn't and decided to just take it easy.

I then made my way to the bay area for the boat. I think it was like 8 euros? The boat took it's time leaving but it eventually did, and it was nice taking in the view along the way and feeling the wind and such. We came to the beach, and there lots of ppl there but still room to find space to sit down. I had my knapsack with me with my booze and bare minimum cash, hotel towel and goggles. I wear contact lenses so I needed something to protect my eyes. I was worried about theft a bit, but the atmosphere was friendly, so I left my stuff on the hotel towel and went to water. Water was cool a bit, but parts of it were warm. It was very clear tho, and there were small white fishes swimming about. The bottom was perfect white sand, no rocks or anything. I understood better why more ppl come in July/Aug, as I guess the beach water would be more warmed up and issues like the pool water not being warm enough wouldn't be an issue.

The beach club place there had a DJ playing deep house. He played a song I randomly found on Beatport. It was Silkast- Feelin Deeper (Moe Turk Remix) and I thought I was the only person that knew this track. I'm glad a DJ from Ibiza validated my music selection. Some looky looky guys were on the beach selling sunglasses and burnt CDs...like CDs from Ushauia and Cafe Del Mar. The prices were way too expensive, and I don't know why I even entertained the guy at looking at the collection, as I mostly buy my music legit. I guess I wanted to see what was out there for later listening.

Later, there was an older woman, like maybe early 40s, who was fit that undressing fully and putting on different clothes and would past me with a knowing smile. She did this a few times, and it was pretty entertaining. She walked past a few ppl on the beach doing this. I didn't mind at all, sipping on my drink, with the music playing in the background. I talked to her a little bit, she was from Spain. She thought I was American, but I'm Canadian. I've had a few ppl thinking I was a 'yank' lol.

Around this time shortly after I took the boat back to the bay, and chilled in my hotel for a bit. I went back to the repair shop around 730 and the guy told me there's a problem with the motherboard or power button and they wouldn't get parts for it until next week, about the time I'd be leaving. I was disappointed and at this point I decided to stop worrying about this and make the best of my trip. This place was near Cafe Del Mar and I decided that I was gonna finally enjoy this place fully.

I walked to the front doors and into the store. I browsed around there. They had all the compliations there (AS THEY SHOULD) but the prices were ridiculous. The average price of the CDM comps were like 20 Euros and I knew I could get these CDs cheaper off Amazon used. I seriously thought these would be cheaper as I'm right at the source. But I was still so happy being there, seeing the design of the place that makes it on to the artwork of their CDs. I made my way more to the bar and I bought a beer there and sat down on one of the sofas behind the sunset DJ there by the name of Sebastian Hanisch I believe. He mixed in tracks from past Cafe Del Mar comps with chillout tracks unrelated to CDM. He played Blank and Jones- Hideaway, which was a great moment as I'm a big Blank and Jones fan. I made my way to area in front of CDM and met some American dudes who were in Ibiza for like only 2 or 3 days as part of some Europe tour. They only knew about the big EDM artists which was disappointing, cuz it fits the stereotype of ppl from the US being into big room EDM only. I had a spliff rolled up and wanted to blaze. I think i could have done it, but I felt a bit off, cuz there were families right there, so I decided to hold off on it.

I went back to CDM and grabbed another beer. It was really nice hanging out there. The DJ timed the setting of the sun to Vangelis- Rachel's Song. TBH, the best sunset I ever saw was in Thailand, but I did like how you can see the sun just dip down perfectly over the horizon here. The music was timed so perfectly to end with the sun coming down. Everyone was cheering and happy...I wished I could have my first proper sunset on camera dammit.

I blazed outside the bar, on the other side of the walkway, and you can sit down. I started to talk to one guy but this guy was sorta tripping me out when I was blazing. He wanted to know what was the thrill of drugs and stuff as he's never done them. But he was like looking at my eyes intensely and stuff and I just wanted to get the f- away from him LOL. I went the walkway area, and Music On was holding a preparty at CDM with Leon playing. I saw the DJ from before, Sebastien Hanisch, and I talked to him about his set. He's been dj'ing for over 20 years, maybe even 25 and told him he's basically living his dream playing at CDM, but that he spins all types of music. I asked him about Kumharas and how that place was and he seemed a bit annoyed with that question. Nonetheless, it was nice talking to him and learning about his history.

I went back to my hotel...tonight I was gonna check out Insane @ Pacha. It was gonna be my first time going to this place, and MK, Tensnake, and Groove Armada were headlining. I must have predrunk here after grabbing Burger King in San Antonio, which I have to say tastes 10X better than the BK in Canada. Anyway, I had to get in the club before 1:30 as a condition of the ticket that I bought off Spotlight and remember having some gin inside a BK cup, when waiting for the bus at San An station, because I remember one of the disco-bus guys saying to get rid of it before boarding.

...con'd

I've always thought of Pacha being a more snooty club with more pretentiousness from everything I read. Upon entering this place, I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. The DJ booth was setup near the bottom of the stairs that connect to the dancefloor, half of which had tables. There was another room open too, outside the main entryway of the club that was playing like reggaetone and stuff. I felt this room had more of that 'pulling girls' feel. I moved upstairs to have a smoke on the patio, and this place cool, but sorta small? I liked the layout for sure. I didn't even bother rolling up anything for this night as I (correctly) assumed it would be harder to get away with it. Tensnake was on the decks, and he was playing okay. Like I wasn't too impressed...until out of NOWHERE he drops Gypsy Woman (La Da Di) by Crystal Waters. Those familiar keys filled Pacha and I felt like an "Ibiza" moment? I don't know how to explain it, but it felt so good hearing it in that place, I was hoping some old housey tracks to get played and it did! From after that moment Tensnake started playing better and finished off his set with another Ibiza type track, Hot Since 82- Voices. I remeber downloading this song before my trip, and instantly thought that this would be a big song in Ibiza and happy someone like Tensnake played it out, possibly thinking the same thing.

MK came on right after at 3 AM and the place got even more busy. I had to stand on the steps. He starts off with My Head is a Jungle with some sort of extended or new intro to add drama, which was cool. From there on in, I heard Ey Yo, Bakermat- Teach Me (Mk Remix)...and randomly Nightcrawlers- Push the Feeling On, which was another Ibiza type of moment for me. I didnt' expect him at all to drop this track so it was a nice surprise. I thought the track selection was good, but the set lacked a journey of sorts. It felt like he was playing random tracks of his own? Plus the set was only 1.5 hours. It was nice of him to be standing with fans afterwards when Groove Armada took the decks. He was taking pics with them and talking with them. Funny thing...two girls starting talking to him and he went out the club with them arm-in-arm. Life of a DJ eh? I went back home at this point too, not so big into Groove Armada. It must have been maybe around 5 AM at this point.

A messed up things happened after I came back, and those who read my posts might know. After the bus dropped me back off in San Antonio, I wanted to grab something to eat and just wander around for a bit. Around where the water foutain area is, two guys apprached me and asked if I know this new type of dance, and he wanted to demonstrate it for me. It was some sort of salsa dance, and put his leg in between mine and shook it agressively a bit, while spinning me around. I thouhgt it was annoying and left him after. One of the looky guys started saying something to me. I didn't know what. I continued to go, and then he calls to me again, and signals his hand to his pocket. I check my front pocket, and my damn wallet was missing. I had 110 Euros in there, and more importantely I had my cards too. I was confused, I thought he had taken it...his English wasn't good. He said something about white guys, or maybe another one of his friends said it, and that's when I realized it was the salsa guys who took it. I tried chasing down a police car but these guys kept going. There was no point...

Hotel desk guy afterwards said this stuff is sorta happens a lot and that I should cancel my cards. I was pissed, partly at myself, since I remmber my wallet was sorta sticking out more than it should have been on my front pockets. I was told to file a report the next day with the police. I still had my cash in my hotel room tho, that i took from back home, so I wasn't screwed but now I knew I had to be a bit 'careful' arrgh. I called my family back home and they helped me out in cancelling the cards..

Saturday, June 20th

Today was gonna be a double header day. It was gonna be Ants @ Ushuaia, followed by El Row @ Space. I didn't get up until maybe around 3 or 4 PM or so and I the the hotel maid only came in like once during my stay so far cuz I'm always sleeping. I went out to look for the police station I think. I found one by the fountain place where I got robbed, but it was closed. I didn't wanna go any further. I picked up a couple of disposable cameras from a souvenir shop. They were 6 euros each. I must have also grabbed some food as well, I honestly think it was BK again. I've never had Burger King this good anywhere else in the world and I was fiending for it!

I predrank in my hotel. Looking back now, maybe I shoulda drunk at a San An bar somewhere as well before heading out, but I was now being careful with spending. I still had a crapload of euros, but I wanted to remain on the side of caution. I remember mixing some Pedialyte with Gin and heading out around 630 to San Antonio bus station. The hotel ppl told me to take a bus to ibiza town and then cab it to Ushauia. I don't why I didn't just bus it directly to Ushauia. I think they said there none available? But I'm looking at a bus schedule now and there were. Anyways I got to the station and befriended a couple of hot Scottish girls who were going to the same party. We all decided to split up the cab fare once we got to Ibiza town. They told me tix for Ants weren't available on Spotlight anymore and they had to get them from somewhere else. They were friendly, and were also predrinking along the way too. We got to Ibiza town, and I flagged a cab and we properly split the fare once we got to Ushuaia. I lost them immediately when I entered. DJ Sneak was on the decks and I thought the setup of the place was nice, but it felt more busy than La Familia. He played TV Baby- New York Is Alright (Blackspin Minimal Remix) which was a nice moment. It was more techy and I expecting it to be more house from him, but it was still good. I liked how the party surrounded the booth, and I liked the small pool next to it. Everyone's footwear was on the side and it was nice hanging out there. I somehow got upstairs on that upper balcony section with a couple of bars. Someone later told me that was a VIP area? But the guard guarding the stairs didn't say anything when I got up there. I grabbed a beer there, and the planes flying overhead were even closer to me. It was great and there was more room up there as well. I went back down again and I remember the lineup for the bathroom being really long. This place was getting a bit too busy and I was thinking they needed to open up the front section soon. They eventually did and ran a small joint in the crowd in front of the stage. Everyone was getting setup for Tapesh. He eventually started at 9 PM and I honestly wasn't feeling the tech-house. Seemed to be not going anywhere. The tempo was fast and music jumpy but I just it felt there wasn't direction to this music. And it was severly busy too. Took a while to get another beer too. Kolsch started up and he continued along the same lines until around 11:15 he dropped Royksopp- Sordid Affair (Maceo Plex Remix) which was great to hear being played out in a venue like that. I'm used to hearing this track at the very end of sets, so it was new to see it being dropped this early.

I left around 11:45 PM, wasn't feeling this at all. I walked to Space parking lot across the street and took a few pics. I was hungry at this point and wanted to sit down and eat somewhere. There was a quiet resto next to Space that had a variety of food but I wanted to walk around more and see what other options there were. There was this one resto called Restaurante Union-Sol Paellas, and it seemed like the only place to seek refuge from the relenting attack of dealers and prostitutes. I mean, the same one from Wednesday spotted me again and was insisting we go to an alley for 50 Euros!

This resto was quaint. An elderly server came up to me and asked me what I wanted. I wanted a paella made with chicken and they did it up for me. It was nice sitting down and taking a breather with a cool glass of beer. The food took maybe 20 mins to make. But it came with bread with dipping sauce and some salad as well I think. Everybody passing by was looking at my food, I was like an advertisement for this place. Afterwards I think the owner or manager asked me how it was, and I told em it was good. It was nice to eat something different on the island, esepecially from BK. After I grabbed a big beer from a liquor shop and walked with it to Space. I didnt have any ID on me and the lady wanted to see it since I bought my ticket on Spotlight. But she let me go in anyway. This was gonna be first time at this legendary club.

I was impressed entering in..I liked the big foyer area that connects diretly to the Sunset terrace. It seemed like a nice place to chill and I liked how opened up it felt. I got someone to take a picture of me in front of the Space background wall. I had to embarass myself with the camera, but the girl who I talked to thought it was amusing. Seth Troxler was in the main room and I felt a continuation of Ants going on. I thought the main room would be a bit bigger but it was still nicely sized. I checked out all the awards space received behind a glass window as well. The Terraza had a Kompakt records night going on and I missed Roman Flugel altogether. He played from 12-2 and it was past 2 now with Pachanga Boys on the decks. I liked this music more than the main room...it was a techno set with journey, not as jumpy as the main room, but it felt like more of a 'set'. It wasn't obvious sounding, but it was there, atmospheric and driving. Every track flowed into one another.I was really enjoying this. It was really cool listening to this and seeing 4 scantily dancers on the platforms dancing away to this lol. Very hypnotizing.

This club was on top of the clean up, everytime a bottle or glass was left on a ledge or something, the cleaners would be quick in picking them up. I didn't like how this one cleaner would bring in a big cart into the middle of the dancefloor to do the cleanup. Kinda ruined the vibe. Some interesting stuff to report on: ONe girl was drunk as hell and threw up in front of the DJ booth. Security was on top of this and she was escorted out. Cleaners cleaned up quickly.

I remember sitting on one of the tables in the hallway and like passing out. I was dozing off a bit when a guy shook me to stay away and was grinning. It was funny to see this. Also some girl came up to me all distressed and was saying something in another language. I had no what was going on, she looked cracked out TBH. I gave her a cigerette and she went away soon after. I prety much left around 4 AM. I wasn't feeling Michael Mayer after Pachanga Boys. I knew He'd be B2B with Seth Troxler after but I decided to call it a night and headed back to my hotel in the bus across the street.

11168429_10153061886476325_2131506318236626737_o.jpg 11713821_10153061885871325_6433608222887347044_o.jpg 11717385_10153061886321325_2042162727035223543_o.jpg 11717455_10153067056401325_459187017245247794_o.jpg

Sunday, June 21st

This was the day when things got really messed up for me, and this is purely my dumbass's fault. This day is hazy a bit. I originally planned to check out Bora Bora, and then Rumours right after. I had already bought tix for Solomon +1, H.O.S.H. was set to be the +1. But then I saw signs for Solomun doing a preparty at Cafe Mambo later this day at 9 PM and I changed my plans up as a result. I'm more of a Solomun fan and plus I was too lazy to go to PDB to check out Guy Gerber, especially after all reports I read about Rumours being really busy as well.

I'm not sure what happened before I made my way to Cafe Mambo but I arrived a bit past 9. I had like 2 bottles of big beers with me, and decided to just chill outside on the rocks while Solomun played. It was definetly busier than the time Ferrer played but still room around the rocks. I met one of the guys from my animacion team who told me he doesn't go to any of the big clubs and just stays in the West End to get laid. Sounds about right to me! Solomun was playing slow, like I expected him to. It sounded a lot like the first disc of his Hamburg Global Underground Mix. It was decent stuff. Some ppl brought a huge Solomun sign and played it on the rocks. The fire dancing lady from this past Tuesday came out again and did her routine again, and then lit the sign on
fire which was pretty cool. The DJ after him immediately played Voices by Hot Since 82. Is this a transition track to a new set now? Hmmm.

Anyways I headed back to my hotel to do some predrinking. The tix I bought only allowed entry until 1:30 AM. It was getting to be around 12:45 I think so I decided to take a cab to the club. I was really looking foward to this night and didn't want anything to go wrong, so crazy me brought my passport out to this event for ID purposes, cuz the tickets I've bought say you need to bring one. I think you guys know where this story is heading now!

I put some gin in a bottle with juice and went outside to search for a cab. I found one and my memory turns to shit around the cab ride. I got really drunk inside. I know apparently this night has roadblocks now and what not but I didn't see anything like that and entry was a breeze again. They didnt ask for any ID!

From what I remember, the club already felt more busier and intense than Insane. The DJ booth was like in the middle sorta, and people could surround it. I remember dancing hard, having a good time. Maybe a bit too much. I must have bought a few more long drinks inside because I pretty much blacked out inside. I remember stumbling or something and then falling into a bunch of people. The guards saw this and two em escorted me out. They weren't rough but they did grab me and took me to the door. It was at this point I was checking my pockets to see if I had everything. I did except for one thing, and that was my passport.

I told them I needed to find it. Either they didn't understand or didn't want to understand and I had to leave.

It was like the daytime at this point. I really didn't know what time it was, but that party inside Pacha was still going. Someone told me I should go to the Ibiza Town police station to report it missing. I was really thinking straight and I should have just waited until the party was over to see if they picked it up or not. I grabbed a cab and went to the station. I saw a bunch of other young clubbers there, with their own misfortunes to be sorted out. I filled out a bunch of forms and the cops basically said I should I call the embassy and that they didnt' have the number for it, which I found hard to believe, and said to ask my hotel. I was entering the extreme dark side of my trip. I was exhausted and wanting to pass out and I just wanted to rest and figure this out later. I'm actually remembering how crappy I was feeling right now.

I grabbed another cab and went back to San Antonio. The hotel desk ppl got me the number for the embassy and I called them in my hotel room. Basically she told me that I should check with the club to see if they had my passport and that they weren't gonna cancel it until that happens. I asked them what would happen if they didn't have it. She then told me that the embassy in Barcelona would have to issue out a new one, hopefully in time for my flight in time on Thursday the 25th. I would have to come in person to the embassy there to do the report, wait it out, and then head back to Ibiza island. I was getting really scared. I had no cards and the amount of cash I had on me at that point I wasn't sure if it would cover all my expenses. I could get family or friends at this point to Western Union me the funds but I really didn't wanna bother them.

I asked the lobby guys if they knew Pacha's number. They found out what it was and said they'd call my hotel room phone to let me know what's happening. I went back upstairs and passed out...

Believe me, I've had some issues with gin in the past, some worse than this trip maybe. Before I finish what happened, I have to say Pacha was completely off the hook for Solomun + 1. They got rid of those VIP tables off the floor and the club finally felt like a world class club, as I didn't get what the hype was about during Insane. Musically and crowd wise it was sick, this night was nuts. I can't imagine what it is now...I mean I only had Dynamic regular H.O.S.H. on my night and now he's getting even bigger artists to join him

Here are some drunken pics from the night with the disposable I had. I honestly can't even remember taking these. And yes I'm leaving the story off on a cliffhanger on purpose hehe
10498563_10153067062956325_9097898967626740996_o.jpg 11144092_10153067060846325_8370506236661957352_o.jpg 11707676_10153067061226325_4398820385394163501_o.jpg

I used to have a penchant for Gin also, but had to stop drinking it after cracking my head off too many tables and other surfaces at house parties :lol:. The problem is I'm used to guzzling beer, so when I get spirits i end up putting a litre down me in half an hour. My legs end up locking and I go down like a tree haha.

Good to hear more praise about the Solomun +1 night though, can't wait for it next month.

Noob, that is a really good review. I was reading some of it previously especially when you got to ushuia. Which has a dubious reputation in terms of its security in my point of view. I mean, you got to drink in the v.i.p area without those security dudes saying anything to you? - that is incredible!. Well, I guess it was also the start of the season so things are less hot headed, perhaps this could be a factor of their relaxed attitude. I have been to Ibiza in June before and compared to August it is different in terms of attitude, or at least this is what I could sense and recollect. Last time I was there in Ushuia the security guards chased down and got climbing on the balconies of the tower, from the bottom all the way to the second floor with pure strength. Turns out a guy was mooning the crowd and acting up from one of the balconies on the towe!. You could tell they were so mad. It was august and well I guess by this time some security guards are well stressed, I could tell they were edgy , rude and commanding dealing with so many people. - just to mention and drop in a different side of your story in terms of hospitality of security people. -

p.s. I am going to say you got your passport back somehow. Great story and review.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, the morals of the story are

1. Passports are for international travel purposes only.
2. Don't drink your own "pours" of Vera Lynn.

Back