Is Mykonos a good alternative to Ibiza ???

nickyj

I've been going to Ibiza since '00 and feel like a change. Looking for fab beaches, restaurants, bars and nightlife but not commercial/EDM nights. Does Mykonos have this ??

2828698-gmkujde.gif

Haven't been but wouldn't Croatia be a better alternative ? Any spotlighters agree/disagree ?

Fancy beach club culture on steroids. Fashionista central. Multiples of the average Greek prices for food and drinks. One very well known pool party club plus handful of decentish places to dance and a commercial bias on the speakers. Does that answer your question ?

I actually went to Mykonos this summer to see what all the fuss was about... I wouldn't go back. They have some decent techno nights over at Paradiso if you plan accordingly to their schedule, i will say that the sound and setting was really good there. They've had some good nights in the past look at their schedule (Richie Hawtin, Marco Carola, Tale of Us/Dixon together). But the party scene is nothing like Ibiza, Mykonos reminded me more of spring break and less of good mixed crowd. Plus the real party, which is in town, the clubs play awful music.

I cancelled Mykonos this year and booked Ibiza. I rest my case m'lord.

Yes, but wasn't that because of the currency crisis and worries over bank failure ? You likely made the right decision though - 2 weeks there would have been cripplingly expensive and aside from anything else you'd likely have got very bored !

I stopped off at mykonos last summer on the ferry from athens. It just seemed like another holiday resort. No real comparison with ibiza in terms of clubbing industry. The next islands samos and ikaria were stunning if you like forests, secret waterfalls, discreet beaches and stuff. V friendly people too. Spliff paradise. Breaks my heart how the econ & Syria situation are screwing them over. Anyway plenty of scope there for a small outdoor system with a few mates, if that's what you're into. Croatia has already been well-documented. What hardly gets mentioned on here is France. Some fantastic parties going on there esp in the south. Convenanza in the old castle in carcassonne is amazing in September.

I was in mykonos 5 years ago and also did santorini on the same trip.

mykonos has a few nice beaches, mykonos town is a beauty and cavo paradiso is a really nice club - and it is open air too (aaaah!). but as mentioned before, the crowd is very different and not a lot of clued up clubbers around you. what I also didn't like too much is that mykonos was very barren in terms of forests etc. as SSA says, there are definitely nicer greek islands around than mykonos.

santorini is a must-see, but two or three nights are enough tbh.

Back