Is heating needed in winter?

mrs.r

Hi Ibizians
Starting to seriously look for a rental for 12/18 months and have narrowed down a selection, a few have no heating but only fireplaces in living areas. Would it be better to go for somewhere with heating or do you all rarely use it? I am from Ireland so used to cold but like my comfort too! Any advice?

you'll need heating. i've just purchased 2500 kilos of olive and pine to burn throughout the winter. i imagine that your house in ireland has carpets, curtains and so on rather than bare tiles and shutters. you'll freeze without heating of some kind.

i have a scandinavian 'dovre' woodburner which doesn't half kick out some heat - take a looksie

Last edited by a moderator:
Cosy! pine and olive wood must make gorgeous burning smells...we have a stove here which heats the underfloor heating and water but have to say its a bit of a mans job chopping wood and filling it up! Thanks for advice ruling the out no heating options now.

Most houses have no insulation whatsoever. New places are required to have insulation but I do not know if the standard is very good.
I have never been so cold in winter indoors until I moved here. We have a fairly good wood burner but the heat is leaving through the walls and ceiling.
If you go for a place with a wood burner then make sure there is somewhere to put a ton or so of logs because you will use them before Christmas. There are plenty of timber yards that will deliver logs ready cut for your fire but check on the size of the wood burner in case it only uses very small logs.

Also be aware that rentals on the coast will be colder, as you will have the sea breezes hiting you all the time.

Inland accommodation offers better protection from the elements in winter.

I agree to all above. The old farmhouses only have a fireplace, newer houses have all central heating. They wouldn't install it if not needed.
We are using a gastank with a content of aprox 600 Kg, which we have to refill by Repsol twice a winter. (our house has 2 livingrooms and 5 bedrooms, but still.
I remember last winter as one of the coldest since i know about Ibiza winters.

Back