Internet Service Providers in Ibiza

mike_stefan

Hi everyone,

I am toying with the idea of spending 6 months a year living overseas. I have the option of working from home and so, after many years of working in the City, I actually have the possibility of living overseas for a short time to experience another country, learn the language, all whilst still being able to work.

One of the things that I would need is a good ISP / internet connection as I would have to log in to our office server remotely. Can anyone tell me what the ISPs on the island are like with regards to speed, reliability etc? What kind of download speeds are you getting?

I know it may seem like a strange question and probably not one that gets asked often but very important for what I do.

Many thanks

I am on Telefonica land line / adsl, as I am more than they say away from exchange they will only say I get " ADSL rural"@ 512 k in effect I get a rock steady 1 meg ish, have a mate round the corner that see`s up to about 6 meg on his voda 3g, but he also has drop outs for days, It`s Ibiza

Have a good one
Tim

We're in Santa Eularia on a 10 Meg broadband line and it's usually pretty good.

We've often got four machines on the Wifi all around the place with no problems, streams video fine, just very occasionally it might drop you and you need to reset the modem but I run the business from it fine.

I'd say the key is to be somewhere not too far out in the wilderness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at broadband for my place about 4km east of Santa Eulalia, not interested in free calls etc, I am thinking about setting up some cctv cameras once I get the plot fenced in so I can keep an eye on it from the uk, any advice on the best provider for this would be good.

I am looking at broadband for my place about 4km east of Santa Eulalia, not interested in free calls etc, I am thinking about setting up some cctv cameras once I get the plot fenced in so I can keep an eye on it from the uk, any advice on the best provider for this would be good.
Hi, I run a satellite and aerial company in Ibiza. We install satellite broadband and can guarantee you an 18mb connection where ever you are on the island! (Fusion Satellite Ibiza) It's also with a UK provider should you not be totally up with your Spanish and need to contact the tech support. You will also receive a UK IP address. If you require a survey/quote please give me a call 671 171 836 or visit our website.
www.fusionsatellite-ibiza.co.uk
Thanks
Paul

Thanks Paul, but I am just looking at the possibility of an asdl line, nothing too complicated . All the best though.

The Satellite systems are good but for short term & mobile usage you may be better off with mobile/3g, If it is for just occasional viewing of vid, Maybe even PAYG ?

Tim

I'm not really sure yet but I am thinking a broadband connection that is on permanently so that i can take a look anytime from the UK. Some of the cctv cameras have motion detection and can alert you by phone if someone is where they shouldn't be so I guess it must be similar to having a webcam on 24/7 with a bit of extra tech. I need to det my fence up first, then anyone wandering around inside it has no right to be there. At the moment you get the normal dog walkers etc just mooching through.

Just throwing another name into the mix....We have a Movistar landline and ADSL package, it is a 10meg package, in reality we get around 7meg. I have been very impressed with the overall connectivity having read lots of horror stories of being offline for days on end. I work from home so rely totally on the connection. We pay through the landlord, but the package alone is around €40 for the line/ adsl and iva. We are based in Siesta (Santa Eulalia). Was astonished recently when connecting my laptop through my phone in the airport, connected to vodafone mobile, was getting speeds of 13meg up and down.

I have heard that the further you get into the campo the more the signal drops, Movistar would be on my list but it would be good to find out the speed people get near my house. I guess the best way is to ask a neighbor.

Back