If you liked The Jam in the 80's, who else might you have liked?

diver

Im spinning at a 50th birthday party on 16th July, usual re-edits/disco/nu-disco stuff.

Five years my senior, the host likes The Jam. I don't want to directly ask him about what else he likes so can anyone suggest what other groups/bands/tunes he might like from this era?

As much as I like The Jam, their heyday was a tad before my time, in any case I was more a synth pop kid.

Cheers

ps Ive tried the JFGI approach but its not helped.

If he likes the Jam then throw in a bit of The Who (Baba O'reilly, My generation), New Order (Blue Monday or JD Love will tear us apart), the smiths maybe (Panic, this charming man) some of Weller's solo stuff is good (Mermaids, Changingman, Friday street). Blondie's good for a dance (heart of glass, rapture, call me), some kinks (waterloo sunset), t rex (20th c boy), bit of Bowie, MJ's billie jean, a bit of Madonna.

Obv you don't want to turn it into a night of shoegazing though as it's a party so stick to the higher tempo tunes. And some cheese, everyone loves a bit of cheese at the end of the night to sing along to when blocked so break out the neil diamond sweet caroline, Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison and Dexy's MRs come on eileen!

Thanks everyone for your help. Lots to work on there albeit half of it was already staring me in the face lol

weirdly enough I've got 30-40% of it, but its a lot of tunage to dictate to the DJ tbh

Ive emailed him back asking him for his top 10 out of the list.

Back