Ibiza Spotlight in conversation with Solomun

stivi

earlier this year I had the opportunity to sit down with one of the biggest figures of our industry - both literally and allegorically.

same as with the sven väth interview we did a few seasons ago, this feature had been quite some time in the making. and as so often, with a bit of patience and persistence, you eventually get there. the edit was a labour of love too, with such a big project it always takes a lot of time until everyone is happy.

the result of our work is a four-part interview with solomun and I think a very interesting insight into an artist who hardly ever does any interviews. it’s really a proud moment for both me and for ibiza spotlight and this feature seeing daylight is extremely gratifying after what has been the most work-intense season we‘ve ever been through.

hope you enjoy watching this first bit. parts II to IV will follow in the coming three days, always at 6pm GMT / 7pm CET.

ps: PMSL at the faces I make when I‘m talking...?

Part 1 was pretty cool. Nice to see footage from 2011 at Ushuaïa Beach Club and 2012 at Sankey. Also interesting to find out that he always have 1 year contract only with Pacha. So where will he end up in 2020? Hï? Amnesia? ?

Part 1 was pretty cool. Nice to see footage from 2011 at Ushuaïa Beach Club and 2012 at Sankey. Also interesting to find out that he always have 1 year contract only with Pacha. So where will he end up in 2020? Hï? Amnesia? ?

there was no ushuaïa footage. the beach you see is s'estanyol where they did a beach party at some point.

as for where he'll end up....that's 2020 gossip and you know the rules, not before the season's finished. but actually, you'll get it when you watch the next few parts too.

Seems like a really nice humble guy, I think he will stay loyal and stick to pacha
Really hope so, despite the entry price. The concept just works really well at pacha. It just works there full stop and I see no need to change it, unless he gets a €€€€€offer he can’t refuse. I do find it interesting how he place so many other venues over a season alongside the residency.

He comes across as a really decent bloke ?

I’ve never really watched a DJ interview before, always thought they would be a bit full of themselves, but he seams quite happy chatting away about it quite naturally.

And sorry, don’t want to derail the topic, but what were you’s referring to about the year of change in 2012?

Is there a thread about it on here tucked away somewhere?

Just find it interesting as 2012 was my first time in Ibiza and still class myself relatively new to the island and all it’s shenanigans ?

He comes across as a really decent bloke ?

I’ve never really watched a DJ interview before, always thought they would be a bit full of themselves, but he seams quite happy chatting away about it quite naturally.

And sorry, don’t want to derail the topic, but what were you’s referring to about the year of change in 2012?

Is there a thread about it on here tucked away somewhere?

Just find it interesting as 2012 was my first time in Ibiza and still class myself relatively new to the island and all it’s shenanigans ?

The year Pacha came knocking, 2013 was his first season there.

Seems like NFL where players are trying to get long contracts with guarenteed money. I'm sure if someone offered him the same he'd jump ship, instead of a year by year thing. I'm not too sure how it all works so maybe I'll pipe down lol

What Solomun alludes to is when Hawtin, Loco Dice and Carola who had been under the Cocoon banner until that point, started their own parties and there was an explosion of techno - supply outweighed demand. This was like the floodgates opening. Carola and Amnesia put Sven's nose out of bend because they launched Music On on the sly, though Hawtin had Sven's blessing.

Some point to this era being the catalyst for Cocoon falling down the pecking order

What Solomun alludes to is when Hawtin, Loco Dice and Carola who had been under the Cocoon banner until that point, started their own parties and there was an explosion of techno - supply outweighed demand. This was like the floodgates opening. Carola and Amnesia put Sven's nose out of bend because they launched Music On on the sly, though Hawtin had Sven's blessing.

Some point to this era being the catalyst for Cocoon falling down the pecking order
Yes ,
2008 and 2016 were also big year of change

Back