IBIZA ROCKS with Zane Lowe + The Vaccines + Darwin Deez + Union DJs (June 15th)

McRackin

Super Moderator
Like last year when they opened for Ian Brown and the superb Detroit Social Club (who sadly just split up some weeks ago), Luke Danger and Mark Adams from UK's student night Union had the mission of warming up the crowd after Nicola Bear and before Doorly!

scaled.php

scaled.php

Next up we had the New Yorkers Darwin Deez. Much better than on album, the songs from their debut gain a new dimension live, more raw and immediate. Loved their choreographed dance interludes between songs, that left us all with a big smile on our faces every time, and the funny dances of the guitarist who seemed to come from a different planet. To top it all, they covered "If you wanna" by The Vaccines in their usual tongue-in-cheek style!

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

The Vaccines were next to take the stage. A band that cites influences from 50's rock'n'roll, 60's garage and girl groups, 70's punk, 80's american hardcore, C86 and good pop music definitely sounds up my street. We heard most of their first release (thanks to which they've been nominated for a MTV award for best new band of 2011), with the likes of "Wreckin' bar (ra ra ra)", "If you wanna" or the b-side "We're happening" to mention some of the best songs of the night. The highlight for me came when they played the classic "Good guys don't wear white" by 60's garage band The Standells, popularized by Minor Threat (by the way, the guitarist from the seminal early 80's hardcore band joined them on stage recently to do that song) but also covered by The Cramps and The Nomads among others. My favourite gig of the season so far... no doubt about it!

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

And finally, closing the night, it was the turn of the radio dj, TV presenter and now also Ibiza Rocks' music director Zane Lowe who proved that his headline spot was well-deserved... one of the most varied DJs you'll ever hear, mixing all imaginable styles, and with enough charisma to fill the stage on his own!

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Favourite moment: "Good guys don't wear white"

Get your Ibiza Rocks tickets for next week here.

The Vaccines setlist:
1 Blow it up
2 Post Break-up sex
3 Wreckin' bar (ra ra ra)
4 A Lack of understanding
5 Wetsuit
6 Under your thumb
7 All in white
8 If you wanna
9 Wolf pack
10 We're happening
11 Good guys don't wear white
12 Nørgaard

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Ibiza Rocks last Wednesday and thought it was a really good night in the hotel. I thought the two bands that played played good and i enjoyed it (im not really a band lover but went for the benefit of friends), Then Zane lowe played really high energy as he did last time i went and he really created an amazing atmosphere in there to finish of on.

I would give Ibiza Rocks at the hotel 8/10,

I also went to the after party in Es Paradis i would give this 0/10, last time i went to Ibiza Rocks, it was reclaim the dancefloor which was good with a variety of rooms and a music policy that was something you could dance to. Es Paradis was one room playing straight up indie all night, unfortunately it was nothing better than a monday night in any students union up and down the country.

Im not even going into the girl laying cables. :(

Back