Ibiza Marathon - 3 October 2020

Johanna Courtney

Wondering if anyone on the Spotlight team has an update on the marathon? I've been going to Ibiza for 23 years and have had every sort of Ibiza holiday going! I registered to run my 3rd marathon in Ibiza last year - due to COVID it has been rescheduled to 3 October. I have only had 2-emails from Ibiza marathon since I registered last August - one confirming my place and one telling me the April event was cancelled!

I know facemasks are mandatory in the Balearics at the moment. and, as far as I am aware, gatherings of over 1000+ people are banned. There are approx 3000 runners in the 2020 marathon. I have tried contacting Ibiza marathon on Facebook, Instagram and via email and I haven't had a response. Most Autumnal European marathons have been cancelled. Do you guys have an update? I moved my flights in April but as we get to the business end of proceedings in training and COVID isn't going away - it would be great to have an update from the race organisers.

As Ibiza Spotlight has always been my oracle on everything Ibiza I was wondering if you have any insight? Zero communication from the organisers which is v unusual from a race - I know the marathon is small in comparison on Paris/Berlin/London and I do know everything is up in the air at the moment - it would just be nice to know if there are any plans on how to manage such a race? Are we going to have to wear masks when we are in the starting waves? Will we have staggered starts over a couple of hours like they are doing for many races? Are we going to need to carry the mask with us to wear once we cross the finish line? Is the afterparty still on? So many questions and no way of directing them to the right people or how to get an answer.

Hope you guys can help?! Thank you.

I haven't heard or seen anything lately. I think it's possible that at this stage even the organizers don't know and are observant to see what happens in the next month or so

I haven't heard or seen anything lately. I think it's possible that at this stage even the organizers don't know and are observant to see what happens in the next month or so

Yep - it's really frustrating. I 'get' that is tricky - 100% get that and I am cool tbh as they have to see how things go - it's just a massive surprise that I have had zero communication from them other than the 2-emails ... I also know how HOT it can be on the island in October so it's a bit of a worry. They were posting prolifically across all social platforms when they were promoting it across Europe but nada to registered runners. I'll keep checking on here and if I get an update I'll add it to this thread. Personally, I can't see it happening but you never know?!

Be cooler in April anyway and I'll still get to chill on Portinatx beach in October. Thx for replying - don't know why I didn't check Spotlight earlier to find out what's going on in the island!?

A few friends from the UK and France are registred for the 12K but also I am also more and more doubtful the event will be able to take place on 3 October :(

I got a reply from Ibiza marathon and they seem quite optimistic... however there was another comment and after reading that I’m less optimistic ??‍♀️ Let’s see how the meeting on Wednesday goes. Meanwhile it’s a 15-mile long (hilly) training run for me this Sunday #justincase ??Good luck with your training ??‍♀️

Attachments

• 878F4AF7-AAD1-42D7-B049-01B1E0CDB71A.jpeg
    878F4AF7-AAD1-42D7-B049-01B1E0CDB71A.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 568E300F-EB89-41FF-A817-E7376C0373B5.jpeg
    568E300F-EB89-41FF-A817-E7376C0373B5.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 11
So it's 8w5d until the marathon? Has there been any update? Given the ludicrous decision to close the airbridge to the Balearics I don't even know if I'll be able to fly over and if I do - will I be insured? Kinda need the insurance if I am running a marathon... any update after the big meeting @stivi

So it's 8w5d until the marathon? Has there been any update? Given the ludicrous decision to close the airbridge to the Balearics I don't even know if I'll be able to fly over and if I do - will I be insured? Kinda need the insurance if I am running a marathon... any update after the big meeting @stivi

haven't heard anything new yet I'm afraid.

your ehic medical card is still valid for treatment, if say you sprain your ankle, until the end of the year.

Sadly, London isn’t on, which I had a place for, so hoping for a miracle and Ibiza marathon goes ahead! It’s a vastly smaller event and doesn’t get crowds or doesn’t look like it does and it seemed the crowds were a big issue for London. So theoretically it should be much more feasible.

I’d be happy to take the two week quarantine back home and make the trip over for it.

I’m prepping myself for it not to go ahead ... still training ‘just in case’ up to 15.5 miles - it’s been tough training in the heat. Planning on running a virtual with my running club if it’s off ... easier said than done as it’s a long distance to run by yourself.

Just gutted. Waiting for an update - they’re still taking registrations but I’ll be amazed if it goes ahead... just have to wait and see ??

Hola!!

So the folks at Ibiza Marathon have literally dropped off the face of planet earth... with the new restrictions that have been brought in which bans sporting competitions until 1 Oct, and the marathon is on the 3 Oct, it's looking increasingly unlikely. I've tried emailing to ask for a deferral, no response and that was over a week ago, I've posted on the event page on FB and on the company page in both English and Spanish. I'm in touch with RunningIbiza and they too have said the organisers aren't responding to anything. Short of writing to the Royal Spanish Athletics Federation, I am running out of options (excuse the pun!)

I also read yesterday that the Balearic government has a list of 25-counties where people arriving on the islands from may have to quarantine? Do you know anything about this 'list' and if it includes the UK? Just some information on what is going on would be awesome. It's sad but the Ibiza marathon has handled this SO BADLY that it's putting me off running it full stop. I'd just like to know what is going on so I can attempt to reach out to RyanAir and move my flights again! Any news @stivi ?? Thanks :)

thought about this the other day. while not impossible, it does look very unlikely to me at this point...

thought about this the other day. while not impossible, it does look very unlikely to me at this point...
I agree. I just wish they'd do the right thing, cancel and update competitors. People have flights and accommodation booked. Most staff have more than likely lost their jobs I imagine which is sad, but they need to make a decision and communicate that decision, or if it is going ahead - how exactly it is going to work??? Just email everyone in Spanish and they can use Google translate to work it out!!

I know you'll post an update if you hear anything. The anxiety around it all is driving me mad :(

There’s a serious amount of anger across social media about Ibiza marathon not giving refunds or responding to anyone...

I’m wondering if they’ve gone bust? They were all over Europe promoting it at running roadshows before COVID and posting prolifically. Now silence?
It’s now 100% clear it’s not happening.
Re: insurance... Battleface... they provide cover for war zones, the hilarious thing is they won’t cover for a marathon, it’s an extreme sport! ? Couldn’t make it up?!

There’s a serious amount of anger across social media about Ibiza marathon not giving refunds or responding to anyone...

I’m wondering if they’ve gone bust? They were all over Europe promoting it at running roadshows before COVID and posting prolifically. Now silence?
It’s now 100% clear it’s not happening.
Re: insurance... Battleface... they provide cover for war zones, the hilarious thing is they won’t cover for a marathon, it’s an extreme sport! ? Couldn’t make it up?!
Re insurance that is weird as the big companies like AXA include marathons in the regular list of activities covered. Marathons in their own right are incredibly safe.

Really bad news about the organisers disappearing and I hope everyone gets their money back, even if that’s via credit card companies. I’d really like to do this marathon one day, so hope it will be back in the future

Last edited:
Back