*** ibiza gossip 2018 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not gossip per se - more speculation/analysis - has the re-mergence of Privi put a spanner in the works of Hi's plans?

Hi's programming was, for me (and irrespective of how I feel regarding Space/Matutes etc) indifferent. A bit hap-hash. Like they cobbled together what they could.

Amid the early rumours of Carola & Guetta jumping ship and Hawtin setting up shop, none of these materialised. And we were told the reason being, that although some parties were tempted, that leaving a venue where they already had a cushty deal to a brand new venue proved too big a risk.

But since Resistance, Cox and TOU have proved Privi can compete, are those sitting on the fence going to have their head turned elsewhere??

I mean, just looking at Amnesia: Elrow romped home. Music On decent, but suffered a little compared to previous years as a result of Elrow's popularity. Cocoon numbers down. Hyte still floundering. Surely at least 1 - maybe more - of those parties has got to be on the move next year? And i'd bet Privi is looking a more salivating prospect then Hi right now.

I think I can safely assume Cocoon is going nowhere. So I reckon either Music On or Elrow will look to move across the road in 2018. And I think it will be beneficial to all those tech parties if moves happen.

Also gonna predict WooMoon will end up at whichever San Rafael venue Elrow don't

I see pacha have no winter plans yet:confused: usually some good nights with up and coming locals playing..

My guess is that those winter nights (bar the odd one) make next to no money - and in some cases probably lose money. When Urgell was running the show it was only his own pocket he was eating into. But now there's new owners and new investors on board, they'll be having to scrutinise and justify each session

2017 season seemed to finish a week or so later than 2016. Will they milk the cash cow further and extend the 2018 season further into October I wonder?

I think it´ll stay similar to this year with the very very last big parties being on 13th/14th october. but it´s really early to tell.

it's a tragedy that bullshit like El Row will go from strength to strength whilst Mosaic will struggle because it ain't tacky enough

Naturally, expect more of the former and less of the latter next year..

get what you´re saying, but it ain´t all that easy. while I understand why you consider elrow bullshit, they have earned their success. on the other hand, there are lots of parties that are successful without being tacky. when 2017 plans came together it was crystal clear that it wasn´t going to be an easy season for maceo here on the island simply because of all the other parties he went up against on the very same night.

but is it purely down to tough competition on a given night or would it have struggled anyway, because culturally speaking the kids simply aren't into the music?

admittedly I only go to places where crowd is 35+:lol:

mosaic would have had a far better result if it weren´t for prydz at hi and resistance at privi being on the same night. same goes for resistance vice versa - the last few dates of resistance, when prydz at hi was done, were much busier. there just isn´t scope for more than two parties with the same (similiar) music on the same night really. two of the same can do well, as soon as it´s 3 or 4 everyone will suffer a bit.

I think my problem with El Row is that they have turned clubbing into a novelty experience. Obviously it's a huge success, they're a business. Good for them.

HOWEVER - there are serious warning signs for the industry as a whole, because they will influence other promoters to copy the formula. Now if you're 17 it probably is all good fun, but it's not good news for music though. People won't be inspired to make amazing music because the DJs there are inevitably lazy. They're just background, the music itself is an afterthought. And is that really a good thing? It's a sign of how clubbing is changing - that the visual is becoming more important than the sonic. And for me - admittedly an analogue dinosaur or "old fart" as FGP so eloquently puts it - it was always about exposing my ears to mind-blowing records - the rest was always secondary. yes it was a good social with your friends, but the music is what bonded us. And I fear that is being lost.

Just an observation from Closing week:
All the buzz around San An amongst Brits (holidaymakers, last remaining workers) was for Warriors.
Ticket vendor seemed surprised we were buying for Mosaic.

When we arrived at Pacha just before 2am, the "guestlist" queue was massive whereas we just breezed through pre-sale entrance.

So I even for their closing party when you'd expect more "music peeps" to be on the island and with only Warriors as the competition, they struggled to sell tickets. A shame for sure. But how can this party continue as it is? VIP was deserted.

I'm no Elrow fan, but I think it's healthy to have a mix. Nights whose sole focus is the music (and presumably you refer to more underground leanings) at every venue, every night will not work.

And those nights do somewhat of a service by attracting a particular type of crowd away from other nights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back