Ibiza 2022 - Which Tribe Are You?

The Sun God

Following these strange last 2 years, I thought it might be an idea to establish where things are now and specifically the myriad of cultural tribes who now inhabit the island in peak season. Here are a few stereotypical groups you might fall into. Some will overlap. If there are unrepresented groups, feel free to add or correct inaccuracies. Listed in no great order of importance or popularity. The seriousness with which you take this post is entirely up to you...

1. Weekend Hippies

You’re getting on. You used to hang out at full moon parties in a former life. You could come from anywhere on earth and are very internationalist. You don't get out much now but still find the time for WooMoon or Namaste. You have noted with irritation how your ranks have been swelled by an influx of lifestyle gurus, plastic bohemians and Sunday Times readers. You would love to try Burning Man but ‘maybe next year’. You admire the concept of (2) but wouldn’t want to be them. You consider yourself an authentic (3). You quietly lament that Ibiza isn’t what it used to be.

2. The Last True Hippies

You’re getting on. You hide out 'off-grid' or self-sufficient in the hills and rarely party anymore. You occasionally appear on social/anthropological documentaries produced by TVE, like Attenborough in search of the last Yeti. You might still have a market stall but mourn the infiltration of (1). You’re deeply suspicious of the deep state, dentists and anyone in multicoloured 'Flower Power' Citroens. You are occasionally seen at Benirras but never on Sundays. You still prefer to swim nude but the influx of (8) have made it more uncomfortable. You quietly lament that Ibiza isn’t what it used to be.

3. Professional foodies

You read lifestyle magazines and come on Spotlight only to read the restaurant reviews. You despair at the decline of indigenous cuisine and the rise of imported chefs. You will only eat somewhere locals only, provided it isn’t called Locals Only. You resent members of (1) and (9) driving up prices.

4. Melodic Militia

You’re probably either side of 40 and cut your clubbing teeth in the late 90s/early 00s, inspired by Sasha, Digweed and Sven Vath. You feel most at home in large clubs with epic sets. You are a Space orphan or trance refugee. You find kindred spirits in the Spotlight community. Solomun is your current hero. The music you listen to is nu-progressive in all but name. Your heroes appear on stages and billboards, any time, any place on Earth. Resentful of the snobbery of (6) you are no stranger to snobbery yourself, horrified by the rise of (5).

5. Urban Kids

You are conspicuous by your absence on the Ibiza Spotlight forum. You are into chart hiphop/rnb (if a native English speaker) or reggaeton (if a native Spanish speaker). You don’t do a lot of drink/drugs but you DO do a lot of Snapchat/TikTok. Your music is all over mainstream radio. Nobody else understands you nor wishes to.

6. Balearic Sungods – the True Keepers of the Faith

You’re somewhere between 45-80 and an unreconstructed music nut. You grew up in underground clubs & found God in a basement at some point in the 70s/80s/90s and never quite let go. You are an expert on what defines 'balearic', usually despite not speaking a word of Spanish or Catalan. You’re too old to party now anywhere beyond Pikes and religiously cling on to the last of the sunrays. You loudly complain about how things are not as good as they used to be.

7. Techno Titans

You loudly complain about how Carola isn’t as good as he used to be.

8. Insta Heroes

You don’t really care where the party is so long as your pals at home know you were there the next day.

9. Jetsetters

You’re a rich politician, semi-retired footballer or Russian oligarch. Occasionally seen at Pacha. Usually papped on a yacht. Hated and envied by everyone except (5) who naively aspire to be you.

10. Wristband Warriors

The professional party people seek to maximize their 2 week summer holiday by cramming in as many parties in as possible. Some overlap with (4) and (8). You convene on hyper (dis)organized whatsapp groups and nominate some lackey to drive you around. Your holy grail is the 'afterparty'. Your entire year is geared around this fortnight. The rest of the year is spent hibernating in suburbia in your home country, secretly killing time until the next holiday.

11. Hooligan Roiders 2.0

Your group formed in San Antonio at some point in the early 18-30s and filled the tabloids with infamous ‘balconing’ puking contests. You have since evolved into a muscle obsessed sub-culture. Your younger siblings now attend ‘tech-bro’ parties, where mildly enthused shuffling is as close to dancing as it gets.

12. 90s veterans

You're an ageing raver with a family who still sheds a nostalgic tear on YouTube channels about that time you met their mother saucer eyed in some abbatoir outside Blackburn. You ritually assemble in Ibiza each summer for Clockwork Orange. You find (6) a bit up themselves although you still have time for Farley. Ibiza isn’t as good as it used to be, although you all agree Blocko played a blinder last summer.

Last edited:
Gonna need an early start to summer, else I might complete an irreversible turn to #3. And I wouldn't be totally upset about it

Still, though, Solomun

Gonna need an early start to summer, else I might complete an irreversible turn to #3. And I wouldn't be totally upset about it

Still, though, Solomun
No shame in being a #3 at all. I am in the area, although I am a tight fisted git, so doesn't always go hand in hand

I am some mix of "weekend hippie", "roid/tech-bro" and hedonistic sun lizard...

Ibiza is complicated.

Edit: favorite nights are currently Lio, All Day I Dream and anything at Pikes.... Namaste with wife and kids. But I secretly want to get sideways drunk at OBeach one afternoon!

Last edited:
Following these strange last 2 years, I thought it might be an idea to establish where things are now and specifically the myriad of cultural tribes who now inhabit the island in peak season. Here are a few stereotypical groups you might fall into. Some will overlap. If there are unrepresented groups, feel free to add or correct inaccuracies. Listed in no great order of importance or popularity. The seriousness with which you take this post is entirely up to you...

1. Weekend Hippies

You’re getting on. You used to hang out at full moon parties in a former life. You could come from anywhere on earth and are very internationalist. You don't get out much now but still find the time for WooMoon or Namaste. You have noted with irritation how your ranks have been swelled by an influx of lifestyle gurus, plastic bohemians and Sunday Times readers. You would love to try Burning Man but ‘maybe next year’. You admire the concept of (2) but wouldn’t want to be them. You consider yourself an authentic (3). You quietly lament that Ibiza isn’t what it used to be.

2. The Last True Hippies

You’re getting on. You hide out 'off-grid' or self-sufficient in the hills and rarely party anymore. You occasionally appear on social/anthropological documentaries produced by TVE, like Attenborough in search of the last Yeti. You might still have a market stall but mourn the infiltration of (1). You’re deeply suspicious of the deep state, dentists and anyone in multicoloured 'Flower Power' Citroens. You are occasionally seen at Benirras but never on Sundays. You still prefer to swim nude but the influx of (8) have made it more uncomfortable. You quietly lament that Ibiza isn’t what it used to be.

3. Professional foodies

You read lifestyle magazines and come on Spotlight only to read the restaurant reviews. You despair at the decline of indigenous cuisine and the rise of imported chefs. You will only eat somewhere locals only, provided it isn’t called Locals Only. You resent members of (1) and (9) driving up prices.

4. Melodic Militia

You’re probably either side of 40 and cut your clubbing teeth in the late 90s/early 00s, inspired by Sasha, Digweed and Sven Vath. You feel most at home in large clubs with epic sets. You are a Space orphan or trance refugee. You find kindred spirits in the Spotlight community. Solomun is your current hero. The music you listen to is nu-progressive in all but name. Your heroes appear on stages and billboards, any time, any place on Earth. Resentful of the snobbery of (6) you are no stranger to snobbery yourself, horrified by the rise of (5).

5. Urban Kids

You are conspicuous by your absence on the Ibiza Spotlight forum. You are into chart hiphop/rnb (if a native English speaker) or reggaeton (if a native Spanish speaker). You don’t do a lot of drink/drugs but you DO do a lot of Snapchat/TikTok. Your music is all over mainstream radio. Nobody else understands you nor wishes to.

6. Balearic Sungods – the True Keepers of the Faith

You’re somewhere between 45-80 and an unreconstructed music nut. You grew up in underground clubs & found God in a basement at some point in the 70s/80s/90s and never quite let go. You are an expert on what defines 'balearic', usually despite not speaking a word of Spanish or Catalan. You’re too old to party now anywhere beyond Pikes and religiously cling on to the last of the sunrays. You loudly complain about how things are not as good as they used to be.

7. Techno Titans

You loudly complain about how Carola isn’t as good as he used to be.

8. Insta Heroes

You don’t really care where the party is so long as your pals at home know you were there the next day.

9. Jetsetters

You’re a rich politician, semi-retired footballer or Russian oligarch. Occasionally seen at Pacha. Usually papped on a yacht. Hated and envied by everyone except (5) who naively aspire to be you.

10. Wristband Warriors

The professional party people seek to maximize their 2 week summer holiday by cramming in as many parties in as possible. Some overlap with (4) and (8). You convene on hyper (dis)organized whatsapp groups and nominate some lackey to drive you around. Your holy grail is the 'afterparty'. Your entire year is geared around this fortnight. The rest of the year is spent hibernating in suburbia in your home country, secretly killing time until the next holiday.

11. Hooligan Roiders 2.0

Your group formed in San Antonio at some point in the early 18-30s and filled the tabloids with infamous ‘balconing’ puking contests. You have since evolved into a muscle obsessed sub-culture. Your younger siblings now attend ‘tech-bro’ parties, where mildly enthused shuffling is as close to dancing as it gets.

12. 90s veterans

You're an ageing raver with a family who still sheds a nostalgic tear on YouTube channels about that time you met their mother saucer eyed in some abbatoir outside Blackburn. You ritually assemble in Ibiza each summer for Clockwork Orange. You find (6) a bit up themselves although you still have time for Farley. Ibiza isn’t as good as it used to be, although you all agree Blocko played a blinder last summer.
This reminds me of my post many many years ago..

Guess I'm part of tribe #10 with the overlap to #4 -- trance (and DnB) refugee, who's best times have been back-to-back evenings at DC-10 or Ushuaia, followed by nights at Amnesia or Privilege. And yeah, the past two years hibernating in rural Virginia, here on the wrong side of the Atlantic, have been almost too much to bear.

#4. Although at 33 I'm not sure I fit the bracket of either side of 40 quite yet. Definitely a Trance refugee and have a general dislike for 5 :lol:

hibernating in rural Virginia
You a hokie? I knew a girl that was a tech (grad?) back in the early 00s when I was a bouncer in DC that danced and bartended at Pacha. As far as I know she still might be on island as she was quite the hustler.

Anyway, was/ is there an electronic music scene in Blacksburg?

Go hoo's, BTW. :cool:

You a hokie? I knew a girl that was a tech (grad?) back in the early 00s when I was a bouncer in DC that danced and bartended at Pacha. As far as I know she still might be on island as she was quite the hustler.

Anyway, was/ is there an electronic music scene in Blacksburg?

Go hoo's, BTW. :cool:
This is the most American post on the forum to date. Congratulations good sir/madam

Back