How's Your Year Been (2021)

Been a weird one here, and difficult at times. Lost two good friends to Covid, one in perfect health which absolutely destroyed me (she was like a mentor to me when I was a newly-qualified staff nurse) and she died in such a horrific fashion I won't give details here. The other was the elder brother of an ex-girlfriend of mine. He was a really sound bloke but he had asthma. They'd managed to stabilise his condition, get him off the ventilator and back onto an open ward. He had a massive heart attack that night. Life just really isn't fair sometimes.
A couple of years ago I bought myself a shiny motorcycle. It was 22 years old but had only done 4.5k because it was owned by this old boy who only ever went on it in the sunshine. The last 3 years he'd only done 50 miles per year presumably to get it MOT'd then back home. It was immaculate but needed a bit of fettling simply through lack of use (it was an 1100cc motor so needed some decent miles on it as it was barely run in). I'd finally managed to sort the fuel pump as it wasn't working anywhere near as efficiently as it should have been and took it on a decent run up to my mates in Gloucester. Whilst there it was reported that there was a major smash on the M5 southbound so I opted to return via the A38. As I was passing through the centre of Bristol I slowed as the lights went on amber and some absolute twunt in a Smart car smashed into the back of me. I was uninjured but my bike was written off (engine casings cracked, exhaust ripped off and pretty much destroyed, headlight and sidelights smashed etc). How anyone in clear daylight could smash into a bright yellow, white and chrome bike is beyond me. Then, even though I explained that I'm classed as a vulnerable adult with a severe mental illness the AA left me in a city that I'm not all that familiar with, 60 miles from home for over 6 and a half hours. At one point I even had to fend off some drunken idiot from trying to sit on my broken bike. Oh, and they charged me £370 in advance for the experience. Needless to say, I'm now with the RAC. It also took me 5 and a half months of wrangling and complaints for my claim to be settled even though the other driver admitted full liabilty.
As a result I haven't really been any distance- my spare bike isn't really up to it but as I live in the middle of nowhere in deepest darkest Dorset it's essential for going to the doctors or the local shop (about 3 miles away). Hopefully this year I'll get a new bike and get out and about a bit more and I'm hoping to get back to Ibiza around September time :)

Back