How reliable are the banks?

H

Harri

Hey every1! Im just wondering what to do about money when I go to ibiza-will be staying in figueretas. Is it best to take travellers checks?- How easy are they to change out there? or are the cash points convenient? What days are the banks closed on?

Thanks for anyone who replies

money

hello, travelers cheques are fine i was lazy and changed them in my hotel but there are pleanty of places to change them, As for cash machines i only used 2 i outsidees paradis/eden and one at bottom of the west end but i am sure there r more than that its just i couldnt really c to well, have fun

There were cash machines near Bora Bora and my friend and I had no problems getting cash from them. We didn't take any travellers cheques so can't help you on that one.

Yeah, I had no bother getting money out from the cashpoints - It was good as I got paid while I was away - 3 days before we were due to come home - quite handy as funds were definitely drying up by then...

I took all my money with me in travellers cheques (and always do whenever I go abroad) and have never had any problems - I suppose its safer than carrying cash as if they get stolen, they can easily be replaced.

Mark

banks

you can get travellers checks cashed at almost every hotel. but they tend to charge more for it.

the are banks. think they have odd opening times though.

their are tons of cash machines but again i think theirs a 2.5 euro charge each time you user them.

use the cash machines. you will always get a better exchange rate from your bank than local banks or bureau de change etc

banks money

es cana as the best rates .i know its a long way. but if you change alot
you can be quids in.the la sirenda shops do a good rate.go later in the day
when they have took enough money.

I'd always advise people to take travellors cheques just to be on the safe side. If you have your card stolen or you go a bit mad with it and lose it, you'll have to wait a while for it to be sorted.

It's handiest to use your banklink card. If your card has a "PLUS" or "LINK" logo on it your sorted. the link logo means you can use certain pass machines but nearly all of the pass machines over there take cards that have the Plus logo. it works out cheaper than cashing travellers cheques and it costs very little for each transaction.
If you dont have a banklink card then ya travellers cheques are they way to go, alot safer than cash.
Hope this helped!

remember if you run out of money at night and all you have are travellers cheques its practically imposs to get them changed anywhere.most hotels dont deal with these sorts of transactions at night and if you do find somewhere to cash them they'll usually want to see your pass port. it happened to me before i ran out of cash in spain and spent half of my last night out trying to find somewhere that'd cash a traveller cheque for me, since then i always just use my card. dont know if its the same for all cards but there's a set rate for each transaction as far as i know and for me it was only bout 50 cent regardless of the amount i took out so your better off takin out a good bit at a time.
If your worried bout losing your card bring a couple of cheques that'll cover you til you get things sorted

rustywoo said:
use the cash machines. you will always get a better exchange rate from your bank than local banks or bureau de change etc

I agree. In the past I've walked with a little cash and then used the ATM machines to withdraw additional funds.

banks

one tip is to draw enough to last you?????it works out cheaper.
you will get charge each time you use your card.tip from my bank manger
woody or see me when i am over.....

Sorry to drag this topic back from the past but here goes.

Staying in Es Cana in 2 weeks and this relates to using ATM machines, does anyone know if they accept Cirrus/Maestro cards (Bank Of Scotland, etc) and are there many machines in Es Cana?

be careful of ATM scams..... 2yrs ago i tried to take out some cash from a machine in fig near hotel central playa. it was late one night, the machine looked a little fishey but i put my card in anyways. moments later an error message was displayed and the machine would not give me my card back. moments after this happened a "local" comes running up to "help" me and asked me to input my pin # again (for no apparent reason). after about 10 minutes of struggling to get my card out i just left and called my bank back in america to report a lost card. the next day i go back the the machine and the entire card slot thing had been removed.... as if someone rigged. i didn't lose any money... but it was all just a big pain in the ass.

Ant said:

Staying in Es Cana in 2 weeks and this relates to using ATM machines, does anyone know if they accept Cirrus/Maestro cards (Bank Of Scotland, etc) and are there many machines in Es Cana?

bank of scotland does not have cirrus/maestro. or at least it did not....thats why i left em.

Aaron said:
Ant said:

bank of scotland does not have cirrus/maestro. or at least it did not....thats why i left em.

sorry I meant "Royal Bank...."

i have a Mastercard and know I will have no problem getting money out with that, but how about my Nationwide CashCard, It's got the ''LINK'' logo at the back of it.......I get paid while im over there as well and the extra pennies could come in handy....Thanks

I THINK that as long as it has the Cirrus/Maestro labels on the back then it is ok.

Back