Hotel room robberies - inside job

ibizainside

Just out of interest, how many of you have had your hotel room robbed while on holiday in Ibiza? Its happened to us twice in the 20 years I have been going, and both times have seems like inside jobs, no sign of forced entry, and stuff taken from a locked safe.

When I read hotel reviews on Trip Advisor it appears to be something that happens quite a lot, especially in the lower budget hotels in San An and PDB. How can it be so common, and who do you think does these inside job robberies? The cleaners? Security?

I'm not going to name hotels, but you can probably guess some of them!

Also, nothing seems to happen when these robberies occur, its almost as if hotel staff, police etc just think oh well they will claim on insurance and dont care!

Ibiza has always been quite high for petty crime, but safe in most other apects, do you think hotel robberies are on the increase?

Never , i never put money and credit card in there, even in the safe. im quiet paranoid about staff stealing stuff ?
Some cleaners were very honnest upon times where mates drop some notes and they put it back on the bed..

Some cleaners were very honnest upon times where mates drop some notes and they put it back on the bed..

I remember staying in a UK hotel. Must have dropped a snorter on the ground before going out for the day and the cleaner had helpfully put it back on the cabinet for when we returned. My mate wasn't too pleased with me as the booking was in his name. ?

Also, nothing seems to happen when these robberies occur, its almost as if hotel staff, police etc just think oh well they will claim on insurance and dont care!

... and good luck claiming on insurance with no forced entry if your stuff wasn't in a safe.

Is it bad that I think twice in 20 years is pretty good going?

Anyways, I tend to keep anything super-valuable in my case with the lock on instead of hotel safes - I've never really trusted them as they can easily be re-set. Unfortunately, the hotel staff can't do much apart from fill in an incident form (what else do you expect them to do/ are they supposed to do?) and send you to the police station for a crime number if necessary.

Is it bad that I think twice in 20 years is pretty good going?
Yeah I mean when you consider how much it happens, its pretty good going lol, but what I'm getting at is its not break ins, but organised robberies by someone that has access to the room/apartment. Both times it happened to us, there was no forced entry, and the safe was opened! Reason I posted this thread was reading through Trip Advisor, and see the same story appear lots of you go to read negative reviews, so I'm wondering why these inside job robberies are so common?

There’s a bloke on reddit that is always hassling people to buy tickets from him. He always seems keen to WhatsApp people and wants to know what nights you plan attending etc etc.

Probably just a guy selling tickets, but I’m always suspicious of people that want too much info from you.

Anyways, I tend to keep anything super-valuable in my case with the lock on instead of hotel safes - I've never really trusted them as they can easily be re-set. Unfortunately, the hotel staff can't do much apart from fill in an incident form (what else do you expect them to do/ are they supposed to do?) and send you to the police station for a crime number if necessary.

Padlocks on cases are off within about 5 seconds. All they do is deter casual rifling by maids. Anyone entering a room looking to take from it will most likely just slash a case or if it's a hard one have a tool to get it open in seconds. Villas are definitely more at risk than hotel rooms but some hotels (PDB / Piscis etc) clearly have insiders on the take. Also don;t trust hotel safes but on the other hand at least your stuff is insurable if it goes from there.

I used to lock stuff in cases till i knew about this...

Im also wary of safes, even thought of keeping money in travel money wallet and securing to the roof of safe where wandering hands may overlook ?. Or maybe i should buy a more secure suitcase...

Back