José Padilla

would love to know where all those cassettes ended up! the impression I get is that it all happened by accident (like everything in the old days). DJs selecting from across the board because they only had a limited number of imported records from say France, Italy, Chicago so you're forced to get creative with what you have. I don't think anyone ever really set out to create sunset moments. That only came later. I didn't really know anything about it until I heard John Martyn 'Sunshine's Better' mid-90s and some remix of Rodrigo's Aranjuez which blew my mind. Then there were other tunes that I later discovered were CDM tunes like Mano Negra's Senor Matanza which I heard separately in BCN. Robbie Robertson 'somewhere down that lazy river' too was another tune I loved as a kid. Then there were the poppier ones like Neneh/Youssou 7 seconds which everyone liked but is in denial about now. You never imagine they will become cult sunset records.

would love to know where all those cassettes ended up! the impression I get is that it all happened by accident (like everything in the old days). DJs selecting from across the board because they only had a limited number of imported records from say France, Italy, Chicago so you're forced to get creative with what you have. I don't think anyone ever really set out to create sunset moments. That only came later. I didn't really know anything about it until I heard John Martyn 'Sunshine's Better' mid-90s and some remix of Rodrigo's Aranjuez which blew my mind. Then there were other tunes that I later discovered were CDM tunes like Mano Negra's Senor Matanza which I heard separately in BCN. Robbie Robertson 'somewhere down that lazy river' too was another tune I loved as a kid. Then there were the poppier ones like Neneh/Youssou 7 seconds which everyone liked but is in denial about now. You never imagine they will become cult sunset records.

Just googled each tune in your post and as someone who's said for years 'to be honest, I was more into the partying than the music, even when I was running parties', I recognise and love them. Many any Ibiza sunset, I guess

Loved the album. The Band was great too.

I have a couple of tapes bought from the man himself from behind the decks tape 21,22&23.. bit of a rip off at the time 1500pts for 60mins LoL.. glad I have them now..

lovely article by Jono Podmore

Last edited:
I could watch stuff like that all day. AFAIK there's only 4/5 bits of CDM footage in existence from the early 90s. I remember video cameras were a bit naff and cumbersome, which would partially explain it... + things maybe never seemed quite so iconic at the time when for all the local DJs it was perfectly normal to play reggae, rock, house and jazz or whatever was in the crate...

Back