Hello! And a few questions about clubs in the 90's

BiSturbile

Hello everyone! Long time lurker/first time poster here.

Just got back from another life-affirming stay in Ibiza. I've been coming since 1995, although I've not been to any of the big clubs since then. When I next came in 2009 it was a massive shock to see how much development had happened, and the hoards of people taking photos of DJ's/themselves at places like the sunset strip just made want to avoid the clubs and spend all subsequent visits in the north, swimming and exploring.

I guess, as a 17 year old youth mad about house music, the first visit to the clubs in '95 just totally blew me away and I've been living off that nostalgia ever since - I don't want to destroy those memory's by going to the same clubs and being disappointed (which is inevitable).

We would start the night off smoking hash with a few beers outside Cafe Del Mar then on to places like Space terrace, Extasis, Clockwork Orange at the gorgeous Es Paradis etc... but my favourite was Ku. Walking into that place, having known nothing about it previously just blew me away, I remember walking around with my mouth open for about an hour just taking it in. That first night was Manumission, but I kept going back just to see the club - Cream, Up Yer Ronson etc. I guess you could say I'd fallen in love :)

So anyway, a few questions to those who've been since then/have better memories :)

Where was the DJ box in the main room at that time? I can't remember anyone staring at the DJ like they do now and I really can't remember where it was. From photos I've seen online it looks like they now have it in the middle of the walkway over the pool, which I think is terrible. I remember that walkway being for dancers (including me) :), which brings me on to my second question:

Was there a big fountain/jet of water that used to come out of the circular bit in the middle of said walkway? Not sure if this is a false memory. Seem to remember it coming on sporadically and getting very wet :)

Does the roof still open in the morning? Is the huge glass wall at the back still there to let the sun in?

Not Ku, but was there a pool in Exstasis? Not sure if I imagined this? Upstairs?

Is the pyramid still in Amnesia?

Thanks!

Don't remember seeing a pool in Extasis... could be mistaken though ended up in there pretty rubbered about 10 years ago and nearly missed my airport transfer.

Yeah with a narrow walk way beside it with a rail and entrance to dj box. I have a photo of Todd Terry that a friend took,hes giving thumbs up in the picture and it's like he's photo bombing the picture.:)

There was definitely a pool in Exstasis. It was upstairs in its own room. You had to queue up and put your shoes, top , etc in a carrier bag then you got shown up. We had a mad night in there in 97, I remember it well. There was all sorts of garden furniture around the pool that ended up in it. Then the walk back up to calo des moro in soaking clothes! Great times.

Was Extasis the place not far from the egg in San An? It was certainly less of a hedonistic paradise when I frequented it for various afters as a worker in 2005 :lol:

Was Extasis the place not far from the egg in San An? It was certainly less of a hedonistic paradise when I frequented it for various afters as a worker in 2005 :lol:

Extasis wasn't much to begin with. So you haven't missed a lot. It depends on your definition of hedonistic.

Reactions: aby
Remember Extasis having a waterfall wall I think. And lots of cushions used to be a good little club as I remember. Used to frequent Es paradis a lot will remember the first time I went to the water fiesta I had completely lost my voice & had a note pad to communicate which was floating away with my wallet & cares at the end of the night. Remember you could go everywhere in the clubs in those days as no vip areas. Used to love the terraces at Es paradis, there were pool tables up top as I remember. Are the loos still outside? (Been a while since I was last in Es paradis). privilege did have a fountain to the right of the pool / walkway if I remember correctly they used to have the sex show there, although I found myself looking at the fountain rather than the show.

Still remember my first trip to Play den Bossa to go to Space. It was about 8-9am I think, someone told me it was out doors so I stopped to get a sun hat (a massive sombrero) which I insisted on waring all day even in the taxi. Took ages to get to PDB roads were not as developed then. Taxi dropped off just think there was a dirt area outside Space , no bushes in the middle??? And just a parade of shops where Ushuaia is I think?? Old guy on the door with the blue money box I tried to blag that my sombreo was on the guest list , just laughed probably charged me double (can't remember). Sat there watching the terrace slowly fill up from under my sombrero .. oh happy days...

Extasis wasn't much to begin with. So you haven't missed a lot. It depends on your definition of hedonistic.

It definitely wasn't much looking back:) but at the time, on our first night in Ibiza as 19yr olds , a pool in a club was something completely different to what we'd seen before! Back then people weren't as clued up as now, I had no idea about it existing. We knew about the Es Paradis pool parties cos Ibiza uncovered had started by then. Now every 18/19 yr old is a cool kid when they get to the island cos of the internet. I cant really explain how but I think its taken some of the magic away , but that's only my opinion.

Back