Gregatello and Rampling!

To be fair, a very interesting read!

His "return" to the scene makes a little more sense, although I don't think he was as far out of it over the 2 years as he claims considering the number of gigs he had during that period.

the clue is in the name fiddy

Detective Buckers was all over that!:lol:

I know it was a 'friendly' interview Gregster but 'I never used the word retirement' is a bit of a sham defence! He let enough promoters use it in his name and presumably pocketed inflated fees from the his numerous 'last ever' gigs.

It's all a bit and sad and disappointing. Takes people for mugs really. A bit of honesty would come across better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grego, respect for bowling some decent questions too!

He's so far up his own arse, it's dissappointing really. He's spent too much time watching The Apprentice since he "RE-ally TIRED" :rolleyes:.

"a tree should grow where it is planted and you are a mighty oak tree in your field of industry your roots are in music". I was deeply touched by Keith's wisdom. When I got home, after listening to some music, the phone rang with a gig offer

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

To be fair it's funnier than 'Eyeball Paul'

tbh, thats a pretty good interview, as Mark said you didn't shy away from the questions everyone is asking

i agree with buckley though, its a bit snide. hes so full of BS.

Hold on, guys... what exactly is he supposed to say?

"Ya, I screwed up with that retirement thing. Sorry. I realized that I a) was bored to death and b) needed more cash, so now I'm back. Oh ya, and Success U is a pyramid scheme."

His answers, while perhaps not the most candid, were perfectly adequate on most questions. They are full of "spin", which you can decipher between the lines, but not entirely dishonest.

Something that doesn't have a subtext of 'I think you guys are stupid enough to believe this crap' perhaps?

My arguement is, what if he is genuinely that simple though? (nto in a bad way, of course!)

Anyone that's ever met the guy will testify he's no deep hyper-intelligent type, and let's face it, the guys 'above' DR on the whole pyramid thing have probably fooled guys a lot smarter than him.

He's also a really nice guy with enthusiasm and 'joie de vivre' that's almost infectious.

I'm not buying any of it, and I don't have (too much!) blind adulation of the 'past greats' tho similalry I'm not criticising the chap for being so niave to believe all this sh1t.

Just ignore it and move along.

Personally my biggest fear was when I saw the words "Big room funky electro" in the interview, as the basline to another one bites the dust fills through my head.

Greg, did you interview him at pikes in August ?? :confused:

"....No, it was a press term, "retired" is ‘really tired', that's what it means..." :rolleyes: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not criticising the chap for being so niave to believe all this sh1t.

Just ignore it and move along.

quote]

Believing it himself is one thing, trying to make money by flogging this ****e to others is quite another.

interesting interview

am a bit ambivalent about the whole rampling retirement saga - I can understand him falling back on it after the restaurant flop, but the whole pyramid thing he's pedalling seems to me a bit creepy not to say brainwashing. More importantly, tho, a lot of us who went to that famous gurnmills party in 2005 feel cheated... the manner of his return still leaves a sour taste and I wouldn't mind having my £20 back!

a lot of us who went to that famous gurnmills party in 2005 feel cheated

Why though? a) I don't think it was a malcious attempt to fleece anone of their £20

and b) By all accounts it was one of the greatest do's that I've ever missed :(. Who cares or not what happened after?

Why though? a) I don't think it was a malcious attempt to fleece anone of their £20

and b) By all accounts it was one of the greatest do's that I've ever missed :(. Who cares or not what happened after?

Seems like a very fair post. I am not affected by any of the Ramplingate issues but don't understand the level of ill feeling against the guy?

As my late father used to say after a row "Now then lad, let bygones be bygones":lol:

I know, it's not a big deal really. It's just the way the event was marketed, which left a few people looking a bit stupid. I have seen rampling play since at a lowkey event last summer at plan b in brixton for trevor fung's birthday. It was a charity thing and it seemed churlish to bring it up.

The turnmills thing was pretty intense. 12 hours :eek: It was a proper laugh though, I have to say and frankie knuckles played one of the best sets I've ever seen - tonnes of classic records esp FK dropping his own whistle song over quentin harris let's be young, alfredo playing some trippy version of chris isaak's wicked game (I melted) an amazing balearic sequence, mandy smith, dna, sheer taft etc etc and of course, the emotional handover at 4am and the speeches and Tracey Thorn's voice wafting in at midday. I don't really regret going, just think it's a shame Rampling has just gone all weird of late...:confused: and has tarnished the legacy in a way. I hope he finds his success, but ultimately house music is bigger than Rampling and has pretty much moved on without him..

DJing aside, the succes uni thing has helped him. he has a better life now than before he started that. so you can't really begrudge him the fact that he has improved his life.

dan - you are right, he does have an infectious style of parlance that gives you a kick up the arse. truth is, i find it refreshing that he seems like the type of guy that really does seize the day, rather than just saying that's how he lives his life.

liam - no, near croissant show, why?

Back