Funky House

Bahamas

A lot of this music style has been posted in other places on the forum, but I do think it deserves its own thread.
The Disco Thread is mainly focussed on classic disco releases and edits, whereas disco( )house (or Euro-Disco?) leans more toward easy listening house music.

The style had it heydays around turn of the century when artists like Superfunk and Phats & Small lit up pop charts, but there are some nice contemporary pieces as well.

From time to time I rediscover some of these has-beens and I'm struck about the peculiar mood they create.
Open-hearted, accessible house music, omnipresent and copious without being too pretentious.
For dj's they're perfect secret weapons when facing difficult crowds.
The combination of cheesy vocals/videos, lack of originality and commercially driven radio edits normally turns my stomach, but somehow it works with these tracks (perhaps because I got in touch with it when starting my long-lived raving career).

Here we go:

The White Legend ‎– Let The Music Play (Funkstar Deluxe Mixes)
I'd definitely recommend to get the vinyl release for this one. Four versatile versions for no money.

Robbie Rivera & D-Monsta - There's Some Disco Fans In Here Tonight

Johnny Corporate - Sunday Shoutin'

Superfunk - Last Dance In Copacabana
Full album is also worth checking

Cricco Castelli - Life Is Changing

Also have a look at diver's excellent tip from this morning :arrow: https://forum.ibiza-spotlight.com/threads/guilty-pleasures.32592/post-1035010

Last edited:
While we're at it:

Hardy Hard - Here Comes That Sound

Discoaction ‎– Eternity (Instrumental mix)

Diana Ross - The Boss (Masters At Work Mix)

And some more recent stuff from last decade:

Floorplan - We Magnify His Name

Alan Fitzpatrick vs. Patrice Rushen - Haven’t You Heard (Fully Charged Mix)

Looking forward to other (secret) discohouse weapons.

Last edited:
This style forms possibly 50% of my wax collection. Late nineties was the heyday for this sub genre, it was everywhere. This then morphed into the “cover all” genre of Funky House.
I’m mid sorting it out my tunes atm, I’ll try and pull a few out and post.

Really into that discohouse sound which was in the popcharts at turn of the century. Superfunk, Phats & Small,...

Was never into the Daft Punk hype though, a lot of commotion which was mainly driven by French chauvinism.

^ been a while since I saw trolling of this magnitude on here

early daft punk were gamechangers and the 'touch' scene was a much needed kick in the nuts for a dance scene that had been getting stagnant.

phats & small (lol) er were not...

I'll give you cricco castelli. was a fan but time hasn't been kind. the kickdrums sound so dated now. The filters got done to death. People I really respect like I:Cube were making hectic filter tracks tail end of 90s but moved on. For me personally I'd say everything changed forever the moment I first heard Metro Area. It was fresh and new and wasn't strictly house or disco, it slowed the tempo down and took us somewhere else.

these 3 were my gateway into what became loosely known as "Future Disco"

I'll give you cricco castelli. was a fan but time hasn't been kind. the kickdrums sound so dated now. The filters got done to death. People I really respect like I:Cube were making hectic filter tracks tail end of 90s but moved on. For me personally I'd say everything changed forever the moment I first heard Metro Area. It was fresh and new and wasn't strictly house or disco, it slowed the tempo down and took us somewhere else.

these 3 were my gateway into what became loosely known as "Future Disco"

I'm glad you mentioned I:Cube, exceptional producer indeed. As for Daft Punk I do appreciate their approach, but don't grant them the mastermind status they were associated with since 'Homework'.

This one is definitely on my list.

Wouldn't call Phats & Small pioneers either, but they're familiar examples to illustrate the once lived subgenre.

And you're right on the song quality which is often out of date. I don't fancy a whole night of such tunes nowadays. After all this thread started as a guilty pleasure.

Last edited:
Back