Flying in on the 21st and looking for accomodation

Makaveli260

I'll be flying over on the 21st and and am looking for accommodation options. I stupidly left booking my hostel for the last minute and am now having trouble finding anything for less than 500 euros for 10 days. I can't afford paying that much and then still have money to pay for the first two months of my side of an apartment, which from what I've gathered would be around 600 euros.

If I get there and work hard on finding an apartment to share, can I realistically find a place within 5 days, so that I wouldn't have to pay for 10? Is there any other option for keeping accommodation costs to a minimum? I can only take 1000 euros with me to the island, which includes my accommodation costs. Can I realistically make due with those until I get a job?

Also, once I'm there, where would I go to find workers with a spare place in their apartment? Is it just a matter of asking around everywhere?

If anyone is in a similar situation, feel free to drop me a PM.

Accommodation for workers is an expensive nightmare. But people do drop out/go home all the time. Your chances of finding a place within that timeframe are good, but obviously it's stressful having the 'what if?'
I would get a message on the facebook/twitter of the fish bar and the ship inn asap for starters.
Pm the user 'dantboy' on here as i have seen on one of his posts he is currently working in San An, he may know of something.
For hostels, if you are putting in through a site for ten days, you will prob get crap results. Consider splitting the booking up ie movingg places as that may show more availability. Or email places direct. Have you been to San An before, do you know the area? You should be able to get it down to 30-40 euros a night rather than 50. Other than that, only option to bring a tent, but even camping fees are high compared to other places.
I know this all sounds difficult but it really will be easier when you are here. What sort of work are you looking for, anything in particular?

Thanks for the advice, I've sent messages to those you mentioned.

In terms of work, I would ideally like to work as bar staff, however I know that it's pretty late into the season and, coupled with my lack of work experience, I'm guessing that would be pretty hard to find. I wouldn't mind doing PR work, although I am a bit worried that I might have trouble selling enough tickets to cover my living there.

I'm also worried about not getting my plane ticket in time. I am ready to take the plunge as long as I know that the 1000 euros will be enough to get me on my feet there. I would work until September. Will that be enough?

You could make do- but only just. Only if you got a job right away and if you were very frugal before first payday.
Spotted another current worker on a thread who you could also message-fegun55
Lots of places you can only approach when here, but use email or twitter to contact those who you can- ask about work. Off the top of my head, try The Skinny Kitchen, Mambo group, Ibiza Rocks group, the big hotel chains. Keep checking trabajaribiza.com. Bombard everyone you can think of/find on internet this evening.
If nothing comes back from any messages re accommodation or jobs, you'll have to think it through, because as you say, half your money would be gone on accommodation straight away.
Keep posting on how you get on.

I managed to find a good deal for a hostel in Ibiza Town for my first two days and booked that, however everything else from the 23rd forward is really expensive. How many hostel nights should I book in advance and does it really matter if they're in Ibiza Town or San Antonio, if I'm looking to get a job in San Antonio?

I'd look at it more in terms of money than time at this point. If you can get yourself booked in cheap for 7-10 days, that takes a bit of pressure off. No, doesnt matter where you stay at all. You can get bus to San An for 2 Euro each way (let me know which hostal you're staying at if you want directions to the bus stop). You're much more likely to get work in San An though, unless you can speak Spanish. Having had a very quick look on internet, hostal montana (via own site) shows four nights 23rd-27th for 144 Euro. Booking.com has hostal cervantes from 23rd-30th for £149. I havent stayed in either of these but i guess at this point you're not fussed what it's like!

Ended up booking Cervantes for the 23rd-30th period. Hopefully until then I'll have everything set up.

What's the latest in the day that I can go apply for my NIE at the police station? I've read that it takes around 5 working days to get it. Also, can I apply for jobs if I tell the employers that I've already applied for my NIE?

I'm not too sure what's the latest in the day to be honest. Yes, nothing to stop you applying for jobs while waiting for it.

Back